What's new

New Guy Trying to Learn the Ways

@Alum Ladd Is this an English Flat Bottom?

proxy.php

[/QUOTE]

It is often said here that soap is cheap (inexpensive). Also, many lather difficulties are the result of not using enough soap.

To answer your question directly:

Use a good shaving soap. There are many, and they don't need to be pricey. One example is Stirling. I find their soap to be a great pereformer and great value. A single tub is like $15, and will last for many months of daily shaving. You can buy it directly from Stirling, but I always check Pastuer Pharmacy online for free shipping.

Don't worry too much about wasting soap. We all rinse a lot of lather down the drain.
That's what I'm using, the Barbershop scent. I like it so far.

@Alum Ladd Is this an English Flat Bottom?

proxy.php
[/QUOTE]
I believe it is what we would now call the 'flat bottom'

As is this
proxy.php

And this 1946 set
proxy.php

So basically the FBT is the exclusively English version of the Tech, which seems to have popped out of nowhere fully formed in 1940 and is the dominant design throughout the 1940's.

FBT's are not mythically rare in the UK. They are readily available and often cheap.

The FBT IS the English Tech throughout the 1940's. They appeared to have ceased production in 1949 with the US head design becoming dominant. This 1950 example of the US head is the earliest I have seen
proxy.php

There is also the rare and pricy English RFB Tech and the Hybrid NEW Tech head designs.

I have not seen a 1940's English Tech which is comparable in head design to the early US/Canadian Techs.

It's fascinating.

Last edited:
Do me a favour..if you have a magnet around can you check whether it's magnetic?
Not magnetic. Made sure my magnet was working properly on my steel tipped brass barrel darts. The plate is notably thinner than other Tech plates. Wondering if it is aluminum?

So to the OP, before going for a Gillette Tech, get to know all the variations that are available.

I believe it is what we would now call the 'flat bottom'

As is this
proxy.php

And this 1946 set
proxy.php

So basically the FBT is the exclusively English version of the Tech, which seems to have popped out of nowhere fully formed in 1940 and is the dominant design throughout the 1940's.

FBT's are not mythically rare in the UK. They are readily available and often cheap.

The FBT IS the English Tech throughout the 1940's. They appeared to have ceased production in 1949 with the US head design becoming dominant. This 1950 example of the US head is the earliest I have seen
proxy.php

There is also the rare and pricy English RFB Tech and the Hybrid NEW Tech head designs.

I have not seen a 1940's English Tech which is comparable in head design to the early US/Canadian Techs.

It's fascinating.
[/QUOTE]

Keep this stuff coming! I'd like to thank you guys... for the last 2 hours I've been on youtube watching the history of the Gillette Tech Razor... and then also the other models, Super Speeds, etc. Eventually we can railroad this thread into becoming "A Beginner's Journey to Vintage Gillette Tech Shaving" lol

Ok so...loving all the Gillette Tech...but I've been surfing around. As much as I hate to turn this thread... I just really like the TTO razors. Going with the 1940s Superspeed.

I really like the looks of the whole superspeed line, tbh.

Ok so...loving all the Gillette Tech...but I've been surfing around. As much as I hate to turn this thread... I just really like the TTO razors. Going with the 1940s Superspeed.

I really like the looks of the whole superspeed line, tbh.
Excellent! I have more of the UK/US Super Speed / Rocket models than I do Techs.

But they were both stablemates at exactly the same time, with arguably the first recognisable Super Speed, the Ranger Tech (note the name) coming out in 1941, barely a year+ after the first Techs.
proxy.php

The Milord Tec which was a gold version of this was first released in 1940.

The Tech and Super Speed line soldiered on until the end of the century, with the last of the Super Speed family, the G1000 being made until at least 1998 in the UK
proxy.php

Both the Tech and Super Speed began their lives at almost the same time and ended almost at the same time. The Tech and Super Speed kept Gillette in business for nearly 60 years as the core of their production.

Great choice, and welcome to the wonderful world of the Super Speed / Rocket / Flare Tip!

Excellent! I have more of the UK/US Super Speed / Rocket models than I do Techs.

But they were both stablemates at exactly the same time, with arguably the first recognisable Super Speed, the Ranger Tech (note the name) coming out in 1941, barely a year+ after the first Techs.
proxy.php

The Milord Tec which was a gold version of this was first released in 1940.

The Tech and Super Speed line soldiered on until the end of the century, with the last of the Super Speed family, the G1000 being made until at least 1998 in the UK
proxy.php

Both the Tech and Super Speed began their lives at almost the same time and ended almost at the same time. The Tech and Super Speed kept Gillette in business for nearly 60 years as the core of their production.

Great choice, and welcome to the wonderful world of the Super Speed / Rocket / Flare Tip!
That's awesome info. I think I went through all the Gillette razor history. My birth year razor would actually be a '79 Black Handle Super Speed. But to be honest, not sure I care about birth year razor LOL. I just really like the look of the 40's Super Speed and I figure that's a good place to start my journey.

Oh @BAMX I forgot to ask.

How are you fixed for soap/cream and brush? A good lather is any shavers defensive 'Shield' against overly harsh or aggressive hardware (razors, blades) and getting a good lather is vital to comfort and your skin's health and happiness.

Here is longtime member @AimlessWanderer 's much respected guide to DE shaving. Very much quoted and used by many members to get them going. Full of excellent timeless advice. Please give it a read!
The Wanderer's Guide To DE Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-wanderers-guide-to-de-shaving.532194/

Another word on razors. Any Tech is a good Tech to learn superb technique. You DO NOT need to spend big amounts on a razor at this stage.

A Tech is excellent, be it from the 40's 50's or 60's. The Pre-War is just a very good variant.

Another excellent starter razor is the classic 40's Super Speed. This is a TTO that is smooth and very acceptably efficient. Parker's 87R is actually a 'homage' to the Super Speeds more Upmarket British Gillette Cousin of the late 40's, the Aristocrat.

Many Techs, or a Super Speed from the 40's to the Flaretips of the early-mid 50's to early 60's are within your $20-40 budget, and is a razor I would happily use exclusively.

Get your technique right first. Money can't buy you that!
Sage advice!!

It's crazy how helpful AimlessWanderer's guide is. Honestly since I've read it and put it into practice, it's like everything just came together. Just did a 2-pass shave, no problems at all, no irritation. Came out pretty smooth. Maybe I just need to stick with constantly realigning the blade on my Parker 87R and just shutup and shave.

It's crazy how helpful AimlessWanderer's guide is. Honestly since I've read it and put it into practice, it's like everything just came together. Just did a 2-pass shave, no problems at all, no irritation. Came out pretty smooth. Maybe I just need to stick with constantly realigning the blade on my Parker 87R and just shutup and shave.

You’ll never learn what works for you without putting it in to practice and executing. I’m pretty early on this DE wetshaving journey myself (about 6months)
These gentlemen on here will give you the best of the best advice, but it’s only half the battle. Putting it into practice is huge and never be afraid to try new things. I can see you’re definitely on track with that!😁
Some of my best breakthroughs were just small tweaks in my technique. Try everything early on to see what works best for you. Razors, Blades, soaps, creams, razors etc. But just fair warning… the acquisition bug bites hard. Lol

I just purchased a 40’s SS myself… I’m not disappointed at all… If you decide to purchase, that’d be a great choice IMHO.

Best of luck to you.

The shave with the Tech was fantastic, I did also end up with a New LC (the 2 razors were kind of a package deal I found)

The New LC with Red Personna ended up being my match made in heaven.

Top Bottom