What's new

New grinder needed

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice on a new grinder. Current grinder is a Rancilio Rocky doser; it's paired with a Silvia espresso machine, but also gets use doing aeropress, pourover, coldbrew, French press.

I've owned it for about 8 years, and it would appear to be giving up. It just stopped grinding the other day, while the motor whirred away. Thankfully it's resumed duty since then, but it's high time it was replaced really; it's used primarily for espresso but has never been very good at it as the stepped adjustment is far too clunky.

So the goal is excellent espresso. My budget is maybe up to £350.00, which translates around $437.00 USD / Eur390.00 today.

What would you buy?

I'd prefer not to have a huge cafe-style thing (these are available at my budget second-hand); doserless is a must. I'm not opposed to a hand / bench grinder but last researched high-end versions a long while back. The HG-1 is still prohibitively expensive, and the Orphan Espresso Pharos still looks like a faff.

ETA the Baratza Sette 270 seems to get good reviews, but I've also heard of reliability issues. Given its size the OE Lido E is probably going to take too long to grind a shot. I usually make 2 at a time, and I'm usually in a rush!

Does anyone own or have experience of the above grinders, or have any other suggestions?

Luke

Last edited:
I've been very happy with my baratza vario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your budget, I think the vario is a bit above, but the perfect option. The best grinder in terms of quality of grind in your budget is a comandante c40, but it is a hand grinder and might take you longer than you want to grind, I assume at least 30-40g of coffee. Baratza has great customer service so I’d say definitely the vario or sette.

Baratza has refurbed grinders directly on their website which is what I bought for under $400. Looks like the Sette would be the best option for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Baratza has a wonderful customer service reputation. Mines been stellar, for about a decade I think.

I agree with everyone else. The Baratza Vario is a good grinder for espresso near your price point. And a refurbished one would put you right at your price point. Just watch the Baratza website on a regular basis. I have a Virtuoso and love it for french press. My neighbor has the Vario and loves his for his Nuova Simonelli Musica espresso machine. To go any better than a Vario you would have to spend significantly more money. Good luck and happy hunting.

Gentlemen, what a fantastic response! Thanks to all!

The Sette / Vario 270 is available new at my budget and seems like a good option, given the positive feedback on their quality, reliability and customer service.

With that said I'm entering a rabbit hole of hand grinder admiration, as the Comandante mentioned above has also led me to the Kinu M47, the Apollo and more...

Gentlemen, what a fantastic response! Thanks to all!

The Sette / Vario 270 is available new at my budget and seems like a good option, given the positive feedback on their quality, reliability and customer service.

With that said I'm entering a rabbit hole of hand grinder admiration, as the Comandante mentioned above has also led me to the Kinu M47, the Apollo and more...

I've been tempted to try a hand grinder, sort of for the same reason I got sucked into the whole classic wet shaving thing........for the ritual. But then I think about having to sit there and turn that handle for ungodly amounts of time. That's something I don't have the patience for at the moment.

I've been tempted to try a hand grinder, sort of for the same reason I got sucked into the whole classic wet shaving thing........for the ritual. But then I think about having to sit there and turn that handle for ungodly amounts of time. That's something I don't have the patience for at the moment.

For an AeroPress cup of coffee hand ground using an Orphan Espresso Lido E-T grinder set at a fine espresso grind, takes me about 120 revolutions to completely grind a rounded scoop of medium roast Costa Rican.

Takes about 2 minutes of time and not an insignificant amount of energy; amazing how hard coffee beans become without the aid of an electric grinder.

For an AeroPress cup of coffee hand ground using an Orphan Espresso Lido E-T grinder set at a fine espresso grind, takes me about 120 revolutions to completely grind a rounded scoop of medium roast Costa Rican.

Takes about 2 minutes of time and not an insignificant amount of energy; amazing how hard coffee beans become without the aid of an electric grinder.

Great for camping and purists, but I'd prefer a large, electric grinder thank you. :001_005:

Great for camping and purists, but I'd prefer a large, electric grinder thank you. :001_005:

Yes. The ritual and connection have value. But mostly I just need a decent coffee in a reasonable time. My partner who also will use the machine, will not want the faff of a hand grinder, so I've stopped looking!

Last edited:
Yeah. I liked some of the Hario offerings but just couldn't get past the amount of work needed. I'll stick to my electric burr grinders. The virtuoso for french press and if I ever get an espresso machine, I'd buy a Vario.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been tempted to try a hand grinder, sort of for the same reason I got sucked into the whole classic wet shaving thing........for the ritual.

I enjoy hand grinding for my French press. That's relatively quick and easy. For espresso, though, not so much.

Hahaha a feeling I know all too well. I'm definitely not at my best without coffee!! Press the Speedster into service and get this remedied ;)

Sadly, there's a reason I'm all too familiar with my Lido E-T and AeroPress timings. It's been a good 3 years without Speedster espresso. That said, my other grinder is a Fiorenzato Dogé Conico (on clearance at 60% off). Kinda overkill for both of us at this point. ;)

I will say that for espresso brewing, conical burr-set grinders beat the pants off of planar type for improved taste with less bitterness. Good luck with the grinder hunt!

Sadly, there's a reason I'm all too familiar with my Lido E-T and AeroPress timings. It's been a good 3 years without Speedster espresso. That said, my other grinder is a Fiorenzato Dogé Conico (on clearance at 60% off). Kinda overkill for both of us at this point. ;)

I will say that for espresso brewing, conical burr-set grinders beat the pants off of planar type for improved taste with less bitterness. Good luck with the grinder hunt!

My condolences - truly; it must have been lovely! While a Speedster would probably never happen for me, I occasionally think about buying a nice lever and a conical burr grinder, but feel it's well into diminishing returns, for the investment - at least for now ;)

In the meantime, a good basic grinder is going to make a big difference, appreciate your thoughts and everyone elses!

+1 on the Baratza Vario! Paired with my Rancilio Silvia is perfection for me!

Mike

Thanks Mike, seems the Baratzas get a lot of love. Good to hear.

I enjoy hand grinding for my French press. That's relatively quick and easy. For espresso, though, not so much.

Yeah I'm with you. The only hand grinders (well, hand-operated bench grinders) that make espresso grinding easy are really expensive. I have used my Porlex and Rhinowares grinders to make very acceptable espresso but the work involved is too much for day to day use.

My condolences - truly; it must have been lovely! While a Speedster would probably never happen for me, I occasionally think about buying a nice lever and a conical burr grinder, but feel it's well into diminishing returns, for the investment - at least for now ;)

A lever-operated espresso machine was also my dream once; a worthwhile investment towards wonderful drinks of dramatically improved quality. Oh, and the Speedster is down but not out. Maybe in another few years, I will once again enjoy playing barista at home. :001_302:

Top Bottom