What's new

New grinder needed

A lever-operated espresso machine was also my dream once; a worthwhile investment towards wonderful drinks of dramatically improved quality.

The thing is, I'm in willful denial. Having had a 'God Shot' from a bosco lever, nothing really compares. So yeah I'll probably do it one day, once the bank balance overcomes the denial overdraft ;)

Oh, and the Speedster is down but not out. Maybe in another few years, I will once again enjoy playing barista at home. :001_302:

Glad to hear it. They look like things of great beauty, so I hope you get to enjoy using it again soon :)

Also been shopping, I'm buying the Apollo. Faster than the Lido, better and smarter build than the Kinu, $320 delivered to the US is in my budget or close enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used a ceramic Vairo W for about a year for espresso. I was very satisfied until a super jolly fell into my lap cheap enough that I could modify it to my liking

Get the weight model (Verio-W) with ceramic burrs. Well worth it for espresso. It is accurate enough to be useful.

Also been shopping, I'm buying the Apollo. Faster than the Lido, better and smarter build than the Kinu, $320 delivered to the US is in my budget or close enough.

I'm almost certainly not going to go the hand grinder route, although I accept that pound for pound they will make better coffee. That said, I would appreciate if you were to update the thread with your thoughts when you get it, if you're going to use it for espresso?

I used a ceramic Vairo W for about a year for espresso. I was very satisfied until a super jolly fell into my lap cheap enough that I could modify it to my liking Get the weight model (Verio-W) with ceramic burrs. Well worth it for espresso. It is accurate enough to be useful.

The owner of my local roastery has kindly suggested I go via his business when I order my grinder, and thus benefit from trade prices. Even with this kind offer the iW Vario is still above my budget. I'm just not willing to let the price creep up, although I know it might be better. However, thank you for the suggestion.

Check their website for refurbs, should be in your range, if none are listed call them, there may be one sitting there not posted, I did, GL

The thing is, I'm in willful denial. Having had a 'God Shot' from a bosco lever, nothing really compares. So yeah I'll probably do it one day, once the bank balance overcomes the denial overdraft ;)

Glad to hear it. They look like things of great beauty, so I hope you get to enjoy using it again soon :)

Bosco, eh? Good to have goals you know. ;) My home barista adventures began with a $40 Krups "espresso" maker. I also owned Rancilio Silvia / Rocky fairly early on, added a PID, etc. Anyway, I didn't graduate to the big leagues until 17 years or so of upgrading various aspects of kit.

Turns out they were right all along - it's the grinder, dummy! So here's hoping you get the best one allowed by your budgetary constraints. :001_005:

Must resist the enabler...already appreciating the lever-arm design only seconds in. :)
Grinding for espresso....

I admit to be tempted by the Sette 270 but the fact that they highlight their repair service for $85) has me worried about durability.

Last edited:
Grinding for espresso....

I admit to be tempted by the Sette 270 but the fact that they highlight their repair service for $85) has me worried about durability.

I've had my Baratza Virtuoso for several years and have never had any trouble with it at all. Now that I've said that it won't work for me tomorrow. But seriously, Baratza makes some great grinders and they stand behind their products. My neighbor has the Vario and his didn't need anything for many years. Recently he needed a new belt or something like that. He was able to order the part and fix it himself. Remember, there are lots of moving parts in there and they will wear over time. But that's with any grinder. If you like the Sette 270, get it.

Bosco, eh? Good to have goals you know. ;) My home barista adventures began with a $40 Krups "espresso" maker. I also owned Rancilio Silvia / Rocky fairly early on, added a PID, etc. Anyway, I didn't graduate to the big leagues until 17 years or so of upgrading various aspects of kit.

Turns out they were right all along - it's the grinder, dummy! So here's hoping you get the best one allowed by your budgetary constraints. :001_005:
I'ts the beans.:001_rolle

Ha! Didn’t hurt that I started college at the UofW. Grunge and only 3 Starbucks! My how things got nutty...
Hmm, sounds quite familiar... I remember hanging out in store number 2 (in the university village) instead of actually studying or doing homework. I got my first espresso machine there (a Cremena) and then a Caferex. Followed by a series of single group plumbed in commercial machines and am currently using an older GS3. Now when I want to drool on cool coffee gear I go hang out at Visions rather than starbucks.

Seattle has plenty of cool coffee stuff going on. For machines there is Slayer, Seneso, LaMarzocco (US distributions), and Crossland... There are couple of small artisanal grinder makers that I can't recall the name of at the moment. A couple of bean importers have warehouses here so getting quality greens is easy. I don't know of any local roaster makers but if you don't want to roast your own there are lots of little companies around that will make a roast that aligns with your desires.

I am looking for a grinder upgrade too. In my new kitchen I have plenty of space in the coffee area for my plumbed in GS3 and a 28" tall grinder. I just need to find a used Compak K10 or similar in a price/condition that makes me want to pry open the wallet.

Ruckin.

Top Bottom