What's new

new GEM style razors?

I am surprised no one has come up with a new GEM-style SE razor. The blades are still being made and they last a long time. I could even see manufacturing the razor out of plastics like Tritan.

There are at least three new razors that take Gem blades (ATT G1, PAA Starling, Blackland Sabre, and there are others, I think somebody just started 3D printing one.)

IMO the primary issue with them is that it's hard to improve on the originals, and there isn't exactly a shortage of nice used (and NOS!) Micromatics in the world.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
IMO the primary issue with them is that it's hard to improve on the originals, and there isn't exactly a shortage of nice used (and NOS!) Micromatics in the world.

I'm not arguing, but it is a case of YMMV. I've used a number of Gem-style razors from different dates and find the breakdown interesting:

Kampfe Star lather catcher: cool because it's old, but really only good for me WTG (which oddly enough, is how the instructions say it was supposed to be used. Go figure.)

Gem Junior Bar: Haven't tried it yet, but soon.

Gem Damaskeene: I'd love to try the OC version but probably that'll never happen. It's smooth in all three directions, but leaves stubble behind even with a very narrow blade angle.

Gem 1912: Just like the Damaskeene for me, only newer and cheap as borscht.

Ever-Ready 1914: Man, what a great razor! BBS in three passes with a fresh blade, every time. Also, cheap as borscht which makes me giggle like a schoolgirl when I think of shave satisfaction per dollar.

Gem MMOC: A good razor, gets fairly close to me, could be a daily driver but ergonomics get in the way for me.

PAA Starling V2: with the SB plate, just like almost every other Gem for me. With the OC plate, this thing is my go-to for Gem shaves. Needs more mass, in this case a nice stainless handle helps.

ATT G1: I may revisit this over the holidays this year. I have both the older milder baseplate and the newer more aggressive base plate. This razor is absolutely perfect -- in the sense that it was intended to shave just like a Gem 1912, and it does exactly that. Because of the "niche-y-ness" of this razor, it could be improved but that would make it even "niche-ier." OC Gem shaving is a niche of Gem shaving, which is a niche of SE shaving, which pretty much qualifies as a niche of shaving in general. I'd like an OC plate for this. I am waiting for the right attitude to kick in so I can cheerfully take a fine round file and at least "scallop" the bar on it for more blade exposure. I really WANT to like this razor.

You'll note there's a lot of vacant space in that list. I'll drop some pocket change on a Shovelhead one of these days. I wouldn't turn down a couple Streamlines if somebody wanted to PIF them (But I'd still whip out my wallet if I found one cast into a block of acrylic as a doorstop...)

I see a few razors on that list I'm gonna revisit once OCtober is over...

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The latest Gem type razor is a 3D printer plastic version I have seen and the results from users are very positive. Its called the TNNSER 3D printer razor.
Have some great shaves!

I am surprised no one has come up with a new GEM-style SE razor. The blades are still being made and they last a long time. I could even see manufacturing the razor out of plastics like Tritan.
I was just asking the same question elsewhere the other day.
I've only recently got into the SE department and have barely touched a DE since. The GEM's are amazing and it's interesting that @Old Hippie pointed out that the intention of one of them was for a WTG pass, because that was the very first noticeable difference for me. So being that I don't shave ATG, these things are great.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the list of options. The Sabre is the only one on the list right now, but I may look into that ATT or PAA one.

My favorite Gem made of unobtainium

charcoal.jpg

The reason there aren’t many new GEM razors isn’t because you can’t improve over the originals (we have). It’s a demand issue. DEs are by far the most popular safety razor type. After that comes Artist Club, then injectors, and GEM is last.

It’s hard to say what drives that popularity or lack thereof. My two leading hypotheses are momentum and blade choice. The momentum refers to if you already use DEs and have a ton of blades and razors you probably don’t want to swap to GEMs and start over. So it’s easier to just continue down the path you’re on. For blades there is only one GEM blade I would ever recommend (Personna PTFE-coated stainless). If that blade works then you’re set, but you’re screwed if it doesn’t agree with your face. Additionally, for a lot of shavers half the fun is trying new blades and comparing subtle differences and you can’t do that with GEMs.

Having said all that, the Sabre is perhaps the design I’m proudest of. I would gladly put it up against any GEM from any era. No extra pieces. No springs. No off-center shovel head. It’s a dead reliable three piece design which centers the head perfectly and gives great balance and maneuverability.

I love my Sabre. It's fantastic and my favorite GEM Razor I own. My experience reflects OH with the vintage GEMS. I haven't used the ATT one. I got rid of my Starling as it was two pointy on the corners.

Having said all that, the Sabre is perhaps the design I’m proudest of. I would gladly put it up against any GEM from any era. No extra pieces. No springs. No off-center shovel head. It’s a dead reliable three piece design which centers the head perfectly and gives great balance and maneuverability.

Plus, the Sabre

- is more substantial feeling than vintage Gems

- is a three piece design (no gump build up as with a TTO)

- has a wider shave angle than the original GEMs (although using the GEM angle (i.e., most shallow possible) is optimal)

- provides a closer, smoother shave than the MMOC (IMO due to its relative heft)

- just feels great in hand

- gave me an awesome shave this morning

Vintage Gems to me are like vintage cars, and the Sabre is its modern incarnation. Vintages have their charm, are great looking and get the job done. But no one can honestly say a 68 Vette is a better car than its 2019 counterpart.

YMMV

Top Bottom