What's new

New Game Changer

Today I used both the GC 1.05 and the Lupo .95OC for a side by side comparison. First up, on the right side of my face, was the GC 1.05 for the first with the grain pass. As I noted yesterday, this razor provides an extremely smooth shaving experience. The blade feel is there, but it is comfortable and never feels "dangerous". I then switched to the Lupo for the WTG pass on the left side. As I had guessed, the blade feel is slightly more pronounced and there is a sense that you ought to be at least a little bit careful with this razor. The second pass, against the grain and touchups, highlighted those differences. It seemed as if the GC was even smoother ATG than WTG while the Lupo was pretty much unchanged.

What about the results? Several hours later it is still impossible to discern any difference. Both sides are super smooth. That said, in the past I have noted that I often wind up with a closer shave on the right than the left. Tomorrow, when I switch sides I'll see if the GC had an unfair advantage or whether the results are truyl equal.
Today I switched sides but the only change from yesterday is that today I didn't find much of a difference in the smoothness while using the two razors. My wife thinks that the Lupo side might be slightly closer than the GC side, but she isn't really sure about it. For me the bottom line is that these two razors, despite their design differences and the fact that one has an open comb, are very similar both in shaving experience and shaving results. Usually in cases like this I sell off one of the two, but I'm really not sure which one I would prefer to keep, so I'll keep both - at least for now.

Having completed a couple of side by side comparison shaves with the GameChanger 1.05 and the Lupo .95 Open Comb, I thought I ought to include my other RazoRock razor in this contest. So today it was the GC vs the SuperSlant L3. Unlike comparing the GC and the Lupo which have similar weight and feel, the SuperSlant is visually and tactilely very different. First up on the right side was the GC, and once again it did not disappoint; the WTG pass was smooth and comfortable. I then picked up the SuperSlant and immediately felt the difference in weight and also noticed the decreased agility of the large head on my first pass, particularly when shaving under my nose. On the other hand, for me this razor is incredibly smooth - smoother than the GC.
The second pass ATG was quite similar, although I will say that the GC seemed to catch up to the SuperSlant in terms of smoothness. As to results, once again it is too close to call. I think that the SuperSlant may have won on the cheeks, but the GC seems to have won around the jawline and chin. Perhaps that makes sense, as the superior maneuverability of the GC lets me shave closer on uneven terrain while the SuperSlant wins on the flatter surfaces of the cheeks.

I have just a couple of final observations about the Game Changer 1.05. As a daily shaver it perfectly fits my needs; it is efficient enough to provide me with a BBS shave using two passes and a bit of touch up, and it can accomplish that task without any cuts, nicks or irritation. It is also a pleasure to use, as I have a preference for light, nimble razors. So while it may not shave "better" than my SuperSlant L3, for example, it's the razor I'm more likely to use.
I'll also weigh in a bit on the thin vs thick top cap issue. I sold my old Game Changer a while back, so I'm relying on my (not always so reliable) memory here. As best I remember the old Game Changer cap was a bit thicker and heavier, and also not as polished. In fact, I remember participating in a couple of threads about how to best polish that razor.
The bottom line for me is that the GC 1.05, like the Lupo .95OC, is a bargain for those of us who like to use an efficient but not aggressive razor for daiily shaving. I give RazoRock very high marks for having once again produced a very high quality product for a very modest price.

Okay, okay, I have placed my order.

Happy now, B&B? :001_rolle
proxy.php

Came in the post today and just had my first shave with it. Used a new Wizamet Super Iridium.

Took it light and careful, coz big leap in gap from .84.

Very good result. Close and smooth. One or two patches noticeable against the grain, but wasn't pushing it so expect to get better results with experience.

Only tricky bit was the corners of the mouth, so some practice needed there. No damage, not even any tingling or redness (so far, see how it comes up tomorrow).

Surprisingly smooth overall, given the blade gap, though no doubt it can bite hard if you get too casual with it.

9/10 :)👍

Only difference in basic dimensions from the .84 plate seems to be an increase in the thickness of the central section (3.1 v. 3.3mm), and hence overall thickness/height (4.15 v. 4.35mm).

Last edited:
Looking and feeling so good that I decided to try for two days in a row, instead of my more usual every second day.

Pushed it a little harder, while still being careful.

Very nice shave. Closer and smoother result than the first, with just a single barely visible weeper on the upper lip.

:cool:

Been busy off forum of late.

After some practice, including trying four different blades, the 1.05 plate is proving excellent for me. Minimal damage so far, mainly a nick on the pointy bit of the chin. Not getting any real burn or redness. (Been shaving on a two day cycle, so that might be helping.)

Main difference from the 0.84 plate is more efficiency, apart from the corners of the mouth where it is much the same, though that may just be a technique issue.

Bit surprised at how tame it is overall. Does need more care than the .84, but was expecting more than it has needed.

I can see this being my main razor from now. 👍

A bunch more blades to try in it, and also do some back-to-back comparisons with the .84 (with shim) and OC plates.

Cheers

How does the 1.05 compare with the Lupo .95 in terms of comfort, blade feel, and efficiency? I have the Lupo and the Game Changer .84 (both safety bar) and which one works better for me depends on the blade.

How does the 1.05 compare with the Lupo .95 in terms of comfort, blade feel, and efficiency? I have the Lupo and the Game Changer .84 (both safety bar) and which one works better for me depends on the blade.
Very similar. I wouldn't say one was better than the other. I would maybe give the Lupo.96 OC a slight edge, but mainly for it being OC

Top Bottom