What's new

NEW Deluxe dating?

My NEW DeLuxe, used regularly, delivers a soft smooth shave ... unless I pressure it. I have a standard handled NEW DeLuxe of which I use very light pressure. The substantial head carries the weight to do the work. I have used a shorter, lighter Norfolk handle with excellent results, as well.

Bob, your problem may be the back balance of the heavier handle, where the original handle balanced superbly.

I have used many standard NEW heads, and while they may adapt to a heavier handle, the masterpiece of the NEW DeLuxe would appear to not only be based upon the fantastic head design, but also the complimentary classic handles.

You are absolutely correct. I much rather use a longer handled version rather than the shorter Norfolk style.

Bob, your handles tend to be a bit on the heavy side and as Guido said, these work better if the head carries the weight. For some reason these razor heads work better if they are top heavy. Give a light handle a try.

You are absolutely correct. I much rather use a longer handled version rather than the shorter Norfolk style.

Bob, your handles tend to be a bit on the heavy side and as Guido said, these work better if the head carries the weight. For some reason these razor heads work better if they are top heavy. Give a light handle a try.

But not all, this handle weighs almost exactly the same as the tuckaway handle 30.2 grams versus 30.4 grams.
It used to be my favorite handle for the NEWs before the BM handles.
proxy.php

BTW. How does this jib with the "Big Fellow NEW Deluxe" It certainly doesn't look like a light weigh handle.
proxy.php

Last edited:
But not all, this handle weighs almost exactly the same as the tuckaway handle 30.2 grams versus 30.4 grams.
It used to be my favorite handle for the NEWs before the BM handles.
proxy.php

BTW. How does this jib with the "Big Fellow NEW Deluxe" It certainly doesn't look like a light weigh handle.
proxy.php

Good question. I believe it was Len (Oldguy) who posted about shaving with the Big Fellow. There's one on the bay right now for those interested by the way :wink:
It has a cracked handle though, or else I wouldn't be telling you about it :lol:

That Burrl handle is a great handle. Is that the one you used?
Did you try to adjust your angle? That may help a great deal.
The Big Fellow would be much heavier. I've never shaved with the one I have, It's in the glass case.

That Burrl handle is a great handle. Is that the one you used?
Did you try to adjust your angle? That may help a great deal.
The Big Fellow would be much heavier. I've never shaved with the one I have, It's in the glass case.

No I used my BM handle picture in the 1st post which weighs 71 grams and found the shave not up to the hype of the NEW Deluxe head which I found rather aggressive.
The razor purist have implied that my heavy handle has upset the delicate balance that Gillette designed into the razor.:rolleyes:
Well I was ready to believe that but then I go to Mr Razor's site and See a Big Fellow Deluxe, now that handle is the same size as a Barbasol handle which weighs in at just under 60 grams.
I haven't tried the Burl handle with the NEW Deluxe head yet but that handle works great with a regular NEW with long combs.
I'm a head shaver so I know how to maintain proper blade angle, I should point out I had no problem with the Deluxe on my face but it was a bit harsh on my head.
I've also been around long enough to know that every razor is different and prefers different blade, just because my NEW likes Derbys doesn't me my Deluxe might not prefer a different blade.
I'm goin to try a different handle and if things don't improve I'll try a different blade until I find a combination that works.

Last edited:
No I used my BM handle picture in the 1st post which weighs 71 grams and found the shave not up to the hype of the NEW Deluxe head which I found rather aggressive.
The razor purist have implied that my heavy handle has upset the delicate balance that Gillette designed into the razor.:rolleyes:
Well I was ready to believe that but then I go to Mr Razor's site and See a Big Fellow Deluxe, now that handle is the same size as a Barbasol handle which weighs in at just under 6o grams.
I haven't tried the Burl handle with the NEW Deluxe head yet but that handle works great with a regular NEW with long combs.
I'm a head shaver so I know how to maintain proper blade angle, I should point out I had no problem with the Deluxe on my face but it was a bit harsh on my head.
I've also been around long enough to know that every razor is different and prefers different blade, just because my NEW likes Derbys doesn't me my Deluxe might not prefer a different blade.
I'm goin to try a different handle and if things don't improve I'll try a different blade until I find a combination that works.

Your experience will certainly help, and changing blades may help too, but you have to take into account that this razor needs a different angle. Not just a standard angle with the right blade. It takes a distinct shaving style that I don't think I've had to use with any other razor. In fact, I can't use it with any other razor, because I'd end up not shaving

Just checking in to say that bottom plate that is flat and smooth is off the charts cool. Nice looking razor head - I can see why you were looking for one.

I just did a side by side comparison between my NEW Deluxe and a NEW with long combs.
I took the Derby out of the Deluxe and put it in the LC and mounted the LC om my BM handle.
I loaded the Deluxe with a IP and mounted it on my Burl handle.
This Deluxe definitely likes the IP over the Derby and gave me a nice shave on half my face, the NEW LC with the Derby did it's usual great job on the other side of my face.
Before I switched to my head I swapped handles putting the BM handle on the Deluxe head.
No difference in the shave, my conclusion is the head can't tell what handle it's mounted on.
The Deluxe seems to shave just like a regular NEW with short combs, I don't have a SC NEW on hand right now but next time I have one I'll do a comparison.
As far as head shaving goes the NEW LC wins, this is the best head shaver out of any of the opened comb razors I've used, it's design makes it easier to maintain proper blade angle on the back of the head no matter if your going with or against the grain.
Is the Deluxe over rated?
Well for me since I'm a head shaver it's not as good as a regular NEW with long combs.

I just did a side by side comparison between my NEW Deluxe and a NEW with long combs.
I took the Derby out of the Deluxe and put it in the LC and mounted the LC om my BM handle.
I loaded the Deluxe with a IP and mounted it on my Burl handle.
This Deluxe definitely likes the IP over the Derby and gave me a nice shave on half my face, the NEW LC with the Derby did it's usual great job on the other side of my face.
Before I switched to my head I swapped handles putting the BM handle on the Deluxe head.
No difference in the shave, my conclusion is the head can't tell what handle it's mounted on.
The Deluxe seems to shave just like a regular NEW with short combs, I don't have a SC NEW on hand right now but next time I have one I'll do a comparison.
As far as head shaving goes the NEW LC wins, this is the best head shaver out of any of the opened comb razors I've used, it's design makes it easier to maintain proper blade angle on the back of the head no matter if your going with or against the grain.
Is the Deluxe over rated?
Well for me since I'm a head shaver it's not as good as a regular NEW with long combs.

Great analysis. And great news for us that just do face over head. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom