What's new

New DE user: Razors and the neck

New DE user, got a Henson Mild. I usually research things carefully but I didn't this time; I just saw the 100-day guarantee and then ordered. I didn't even notice that they had "Mild" and "Medium" options--or that what they now call "Mild" used to be the women's version.

My early experiences have been pretty good. Works really well on the concave parts--my face itself in particular. I'm struggling a bit with the neck. I'm sure this is partly a learning curve. I've got no problem with bumps or cuts or burns; my problem is that it just takes a long time. I have to go over it several times from different directions. I am wondering--to get to the point--if a more aggressive razor--maybe the Henson Medium--might work a bit better.

Opinions, please.

I have a Henson mild and it works well with a sharp blade. Not sure what blade you're using (RK?). Blades that I've had success with are BIC, Gillette Platinum, Perma-sharp, Nacet, Feather.

Now, regarding the neck area, it is also my most difficult area to get a good shave. Between the softer skin, hair growing in different directions, and the contours around the Adam's Apple, it does take extra measures. It takes 3 passes, at least, while holding the skin taut. Even then, I might have to do some touchups in some areas.

I've never used the medium or aggressive Henson's, so I can't comment on if it would be better or not. I don't have thick, course hair on my beard area, so the mild works well for me. When I'm not using the Henson, I'm using an adjustable Rockwell T2 and it's generally set at 3, which is about the same mildness at the Henson.

I'd experiment with some other blades before giving up on the razor. If it still doesn't do the trick, you do have the 100 day guarantee and can always upgrade to another razor.

Thanks for the reply. Blades are RK, the ones supplied by Henson, according to them "specifically made for the dimensions of the Henson AL13." Not sure what this means, since they're also clear that you can use other blades.

My question is general though: Would a more aggressive blade be more "efficient"--I'm picking up the jargon--for my neck?

JimA

As @Submariner said, the neck is a notoriously sensitive area to shave. The Henson was new when I started up a few years ago, and I got the mild. When the price was about to go up I picked up the medium as well.

Side-by-side, I get the exact same results with both mild and medium. The mild requires 3 passes to reach stubble-free skin, the medium can get the same BBS in 2 passes. Less time pulling the blade across the skin is a significant factor in reducing irritation, so the medium might just be worth looking into.

Thanks for the reply. Blades are RK, the ones supplied by Henson, according to them "specifically made for the dimensions of the Henson AL13." Not sure what this means, since they're also clear that you can use other blades.

My question is general though: Would a more aggressive blade be more "efficient"--I'm picking up the jargon--for my neck?

JimA

Yes, start with a sharper blade first, since you already have the Henson mild. I like Nacet and Perma Sharp in Hensons. You can also work on learning your beard map and your technique. Focus on that before buying another razor or returning that one. You can always return/buy later.

I need to try the RK blades again, but I found them to be too dull for my whiskers and I had to do more passes. That said, they were smooth enough to not give irritation.

Welcome to the Forum. You'll get all kinds of advice here. I suggest you look closely at the Karve Overlander.
Big_T, why are you recommending the Karve? Is it just because you think it's good--a fine reason for a recommendation--or is there something about it that makes you think it would be helpful for my problem?

Thanks.

New DE user, got a Henson Mild. I usually research things carefully but I didn't this time; I just saw the 100-day guarantee and then ordered. I didn't even notice that they had "Mild" and "Medium" options--or that what they now call "Mild" used to be the women's version.

My early experiences have been pretty good. Works really well on the concave parts--my face itself in particular. I'm struggling a bit with the neck. I'm sure this is partly a learning curve. I've got no problem with bumps or cuts or burns; my problem is that it just takes a long time. I have to go over it several times from different directions. I am wondering--to get to the point--if a more aggressive razor--maybe the Henson Medium--might work a bit better.

Opinions, please.

OP here--thought I would reframe my question. I could order the Medium Hansen and keep the one I prefer; I think that would be a legitimate use of their return policy. But there are many different razors out there I could try instead of one of the Hansens, and you can only use Hansen's return policy once (a totally fair policy IMO). So the question becomes, should I try something INSTEAD OF the Hansen Medium to compare to the Hansen Mild. (I already have one good response to thisfrom spacemonkey42: Try sharper blades.)

The neck is most people's most difficult area in the face to get a good shave on. Many have even problems to do to many passes because it causes irritation etc. Being new to de shaving you need to learn your face and which direction that the hair grows. This will help you in attacking it correctly with, across and against the growing direction.

You mentioned that it takes a long time. Indeed de shaving does take a more time than cartridge shaving. As you probably already found out you cannot just zip around. You kind of need a plan of attack for your face. It is a learning curve. It takes time. There is unfortunately no short cut.

I think trying a different blade like nacet or perma sharps or similar is a good idea. These blades are known good performers and having a good starting point is important.

I think the razor is just fine. I think you need to practice your technique. Once you gain a bit of experience your shave results will improve. Most razors, once you master it, will produce good quality shaves.

Welcome to B&B the smoothest bunch of folks on the internet.

Last edited:
Jim! First of all welcome to B&B!!

Indeed de shaving does take a more time than cartridge shaving.
DE shaving relies on building muscle memory. That mainly had to do with 1) funding and maintaining the angle of your razors sweet spot and 2) learning how to shave without using pressure. The Hanson is designed to lock in the angle so you can concentrate on your pressure and lack of pressure.
I have to go over it several times from different directions.
As others stated the neck area is a little more tricky than the face. I have the same challenge. And what you are actually stating here might very well be the real challenge at hand which is that you direction of growth is also all over the place. Even the sharpest of blades with the most aggressive razor could still have a hard time in getting every single whisker.

It is a suggestion to let your beard grow out a little so you can better map your growth. Then you will have a handle on what WTG XTG ATG actually means for you.

In the beginning you might even consider to only shave with the grain (which speeds up the shave time by the way).

I have had great value from Al’s wet shaving guide which you can find here.

should I try something INSTEAD OF the Hansen Medium to compare to the Hansen Mild.
Careful here Jim! You are getting closer to the rabbit hole! Should you? Perhaps. Could you? Yes. Must you? No. At least not yet anyway. Should you ask me? NOOWWH! My answer echoes from the rabbit hole!

First get that technique down. As I said the Hanson design is different from other DE razors and you would need additional adjustment time where your mind will think this DE shaving is not for me. And you would miss out on a great daily chore that need not bore (@RenoRichardm’s tagline).

As far as blades go I believe the RK is a very sharp blade at least initially. My first impression can be found here. I think I made it to 7 shaves on one blade. It felt harsh during some of shaves, but that also depends on the razor you use.

Trying different blades is a cheaper solution to find what works for you. And your option is a fair one too: try two Hanson razors and keep the one you like.

Whatever you decide: enjoy!!

Guido

Hey Guido, thanks for the great message. Much obliged. All good suggestions, which I will take to heart, thought I should report that I did what I said I would do and ordered the medium Henson. I just got it yesterday (or the day before) and have only used it once. I'd have been in a better position to judge if I'd stayed the course and learned more, but I didn't--and my first impression is that the medium is giving me that little bit of extra needed to make the experience what I'd hoped for. It's the first DE shave where I thought the experience was clearly superior to Gillette Mach 3 or whatever. Kind of funny to be looking forward to your next shave, but it seems like a fine thing to enjoy the things you do routinely.

Am I in danger of falling down the rabbit hole? Could be ... .

Jim

A common piece of advice here is to map out your hair growth directions. For a long time I shaved "north to south" on my first pass, which for me amounts to an "against the grain" pass, which is irritating to my neck. Now, my first pass on my neck is south to north, following the growth, and this one simple change resulted in a huge reduction in neck irritation. Sometimes it's the simple things 👍

try some thin blades like shark super stainless

for many years I combined aggressive razors with sharp blades thinking this is the only way to get a bbs on my neck.

few months ago I found out that the thickness of the blade matters more than its sharpness for me.
a thin and dull blade like shark super stainless gives me an easier bbs and more comfortable shave on my neck than a feather or silver blue

Hey Guido, thanks for the great message. Much obliged. All good suggestions, which I will take to heart, thought I should report that I did what I said I would do and ordered the medium Henson. I just got it yesterday (or the day before) and have only used it once. I'd have been in a better position to judge if I'd stayed the course and learned more, but I didn't--and my first impression is that the medium is giving me that little bit of extra needed to make the experience what I'd hoped for. It's the first DE shave where I thought the experience was clearly superior to Gillette Mach 3 or whatever. Kind of funny to be looking forward to your next shave, but it seems like a fine thing to enjoy the things you do routinely.

Am I in danger of falling down the rabbit hole? Could be ... .

Jim
It's a great thing to be looking forward to your next shave! I think most of us here do.

Yes, the rabbit hole is near, don't fear though, it's a great ride!

Hello,

I think there is two things you could do:

- understanding in which direction the hair are growing on the neck. After shaving, pass your hand on your neck to see. Once you know in which direction it is, you can be careful when shaving;

- in the neck area you must find a way to present the hair to the blade by stretching your skin or not (for example in having the head up or down).

Jim, I’ve thing I would like to add based on this morning’s shave. You could try to shave more in a slanted/oblique fashion with your razor (so still do N-S or S-N but with the razor head itself titled in a slanted fashion).

That way the angle of attack in your whiskers changes and perhaps the level of irritation goes down because the hairs are more guillotined rather than cut straight on. The sliding action can minimise pulling and tugging and thus reduce irritation.

Just an extra thought .

Cheers,

Guido

Opinions, please.
I have to do the same. My beard lays very flat on my neck. Consequently I make a stroke, feel for stubble and direction, then another stroke, etc. At least a few times for various spots. Depends on the razor and blade too but no matter what I have to repeat on my neck.

..... I have to go over it several times from different directions. I am wondering--to get to the point--if a more aggressive razor--maybe the Henson Medium--might work a bit better.....

Opinions, please.
My neck necessitated of five passes. The usual three passes done for for the whole face, WTG XTG ATG.Then two more partial passes for the neck only, to cover the 360 degrees growth. The aggressiveness of the razor or what blade I use do not matter. In fact I have given up all moderate or aggressive razors, and I use only my Henson mild.

Top Bottom