What's new

New budget Simpson synthetic: Trafalgar

Had my first lather with the T3 a short while ago....and was impressed.
For $18.67 (VAT deducted), this is a whole lot of brush at your fingertips.

I confess I wasn't thrilled running that knot through my fingers when I unwrapped
it...had a what's the big deal' moment. But it changed soon....

Soaked it and ran off excess water....put about 2 tablespoons of water on my cake
of SV 4.3 and lightly swirled about 60 seconds. Got excellent feedback and collected
enough lather for a 3 pass shave.

The brush feels uber soft on the face with just the slightest hint of scrub....just how
I like it. I think I saw one hair come off but that's it.

I used a combo of circular strokes with mild pressure to coax the lather out and then followed
up with expansive painting strokes. No lather was flung. This thing retains and builds lather exceptionally well.
Even in the T3's dimensions, the handle feels a bit short and lather cascades over the fingers...which is not the end of the world.

TLDR: Some synthetics cost 6 times the price of the T3...but are they 6 times better? NOPE.

Tried the brush again this time I soaked it (not something I would have thought to do with a synth), and used a swirl technique to apply the lather. I have to say it did much better.

Another thing I noticed... The Simpsons logo is already wearing off. There was a tiny bit of the box/frame missing when I got it. I thought it was etched, so I wasn't too worried. Well, I noticed that after the last shave that it had grown. So, it's definitely not etched and it's not long for life, either. I put a respectable coating of Ren wax on it to preserve it's existence, but man does this thing scream cheap.

Good on ya Simpsons, you got me. I definitely feel hustled.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Tried the brush again this time I soaked it (not something I would have thought to do with a synth), and used a swirl technique to apply the lather. I have to say it did much better.

Another thing I noticed... The Simpsons logo is already wearing off. There was a tiny bit of the box/frame missing when I got it. I thought it was etched, so I wasn't too worried. Well, I noticed that after the last shave that it had grown. So, it's definitely not etched and it's not long for life, either. I put a respectable coating of Ren wax on it to preserve it's existence, but man does this thing scream cheap.

Good on ya Simpsons, you got me. I definitely feel hustled.
Stickers on Simpson brushes are very well known for not staying attached which is why some people apply a thin layer of nail varnish over them when new. I have read that they were at one point in fact designed to come off so that a buyer receiving a brush with a sticker attached could be assured the brush was new; I cannot confirm that. The same issue is present on a $400 Simpson Manchurian so don't be too discouraged although I think you have already taken a dislike to this brush that no words of mine will change. I have not tried the Trafalgar series brushes so cannot comment on them but every Simpson brush I have tried has been excellent albeit with some inconsistency and shedding in some of their Best grade offerings. If you are not happy then there is a returns procedure.

Stickers on Simpson brushes are very well known for not staying attached which is why some people apply a thin layer of nail varnish over them when new. I have read that they were at one point in fact designed to come off so that a buyer receiving a brush with a sticker attached could be assured the brush was new; I cannot confirm that. The same issue is present on a $400 Simpson Manchurian so don't be too discouraged although I think you have already taken a dislike to this brush that no words of mine will change. I have not tried the Trafalgar series brushes so cannot comment on them but every Simpson brush I have tried has been excellent albeit with some inconsistency and shedding in some of their Best grade offerings. If you are not happy then there is a returns procedure.
Thank you @EclipseRedRing for the idea. I actually applied some Ren wax late last night in hopes it would help preserve the logo. It's completely invisible which is a perk. I'll just have to remember to reapply every few months.

I have a few shaves in, a return (even if allowed) would be extreme. Thus, I will keep it, maybe for a travel brush in lieu of the 22mm Yaqi. With the alternate lathering technique, I think the 24mm Simpsons is slightly better than the 22mm Yaqi. It definitely looks better (so long as the logo stays).

FWIW, I now have a taste for what a Simpson brush is like. I may not be impressed, but I got to learn such for a low cost. So, I guess I could say it was worth it. [emoji846]

Well, I just ordered the T3 and The Petrol Head IOM TT Limited Edition (which was on sale) from Simpson directly. Figured it will take some time to get here with everything that is going on. BTW shipping was very reasonable. Can't wait to try these.

I ordered a T3 directly from Simpson’s a month or so back and it arrived in about 10 days. Great brush, but not sure if it beats out my old trust RR Big Bruce. The T3 is a great brush with great backbone and a lathering machine, but I think for me I still enjoy the old Plisson type knots better than any. I wish Simpson’s would have made some with the Plisson type knot.

My T3 from Maggards is in the house, and already cleaned. I probably won't use it until Wednesday.

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Calm_Shaver after only hand lathering a couple times to clean it, I can already say the T3 has less backbone than my Omega EVO. Tips feel nice & soft though; splays more readily than the EVO too, as one would expect given less backbone.

I've not used my new Evo in a shave yet (doing the March Fixed) but I've lathered up with it a few times (not for shaves), and found its splay pretty good, certainly good enough for me. I'll be interested how you compare the Evo and the T3 as you use both.

Just from what you wrote here, I think I picked the brush I'm more likely to enjoy. I'm not a synthetics guy but I'm pleased so far with what I've experienced with the Omega Evo; I tend to like backbone and scrub. The Evo has surprised me with its face feel.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Calm_Shaver after only hand lathering a couple times to clean it, I can already say the T3 has less backbone than my Omega EVO. Tips feel nice & soft though; splays more readily than the EVO too, as one would expect given less backbone.
Thanks for the early impressions thus far. Sounds like a good brush especially in the splay department.

Re: Omega EVO vs. Simpson T3

Maybe I should've started a new thread? Nahhh....I am bad at reviews, this will be short and sweet.

I have used my EVO 4 times since receiving it 3 weeks a go, and I gave my newly received T3 a run today.

tl; dr -- if I had to choose, I'd roll with the EVO, but I'm glad I get to keep both

--Backbone lovers will choose the EVO

--those who value softness of tips will likely favor the T3, though the EVO is no slouch in this regard

--those who value scrub would choose the EVO over the T3

--I said upthread the T3 seems to splay more readily, and I stand by that, but i have the sense that many users who value backbone and love stiffer 2-band badgers might read the T3 as on the floppy side, but that most certainly is not me. The EVO splays just fine, thank you, as far as I'm concerned.

--Ease of lather? I need to use the T3 some more with various soap/cream, but using it with SV Opuntia today, it whipped up a slick, glistening lather easily. The EVO likewise has done this with 3 different soaps. It's too early to tell if there's a winner between the 2 brushes in this category, but my sense is the EVO might be slightly ahead.

--Aesthetics? Ehhh....some picky users might find the engraved Omega handle a bit much; personally, I can "get" someone not caring for the lack of uniformity in font between "Omega" and "EVO". Personally, if it was me designing this handle, I would have put one of "Omega" or "EVO" on the bottom of the handle, not both together on the side. YMMV, and this is nitpicky as heck. The T3 is either "boring" or "elegant" depending on your POV.

--Build/balance/grip: for me, again, early, but the EVO wins this easily. It is a weightier tool, and has a grippiness in its composite handle that I really appreciate.

Maybe I should've started a new thread? Nahhh....I am bad at reviews, this will be short and sweet.

I have used my EVO 4 times since receiving it 3 weeks a go, and I gave my newly received T3 a run today.

tl; dr -- if I had to choose, I'd roll with the EVO, but I'm glad I get to keep both

--those who value softness of tips will likely favor the T3, though the EVO is no slouch in this regard

--I said upthread the T3 seems to splay more readily, and I stand by that, but i have the sense that many users who value backbone and love stiffer 2-band badgers might read the T3 as on the floppy side, but that most certainly is not me. The EVO splays just fine, thank you, as far as I'm concerned.

--Ease of lather? I need to use the T3 some more with various soap/cream, but using it with SV Opuntia today, it whipped up a slick, glistening lather easily. The EVO likewise has done this with 3 different soaps. It's too early to tell if there's a winner between the 2 brushes in this category, but my sense is the EVO might be slightly ahead.

--Aesthetics? Ehhh....some picky users might find the engraved Omega handle a bit much; personally, I can "get" someone not caring for the lack of uniformity in font between "Omega" and "EVO". Personally, if it was me designing this handle, I would have put one of "Omega" or "EVO" on the bottom of the handle, not both together on the side. YMMV, and this is nitpicky as heck. The T3 is either "boring" or "elegant" depending on your POV.

--Build/balance/grip: for me, again, early, but the EVO wins this easily. It is a weightier tool, and has a grippiness in its composite handle that I really appreciate.
I would say you did a great job reviewing. Thanks!! Me personally for Synths I value the brush to have soft feel with little backbone; (but some backbone like the tuxedo knot) On the other hand I value backbone alot more For Boars and Badgers. So it sounds like both brushes are winners depends what someone is looking for. The Evo looks tempting but I will decide in the future if I want the Evo or Chubby 2 Synth.

Great comparison!! You hit the main points very well!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

So excited, my T3 and Petrol Head TT IOM Synthetics shipped today! Now for the wait for delivery from the UK.

Emailed back and forth with Simpson’s and they are struggling like we are in the US. Most businesses shut down or employees working from home. Folks away from the Isle are not allowed to return home. The entire Isle is on lockdown! Kudos to all the folks at Simpson’s working to serve their customers yet trying their best to keep their employees safe!

So excited, my T3 and Petrol Head TT IOM Synthetics shipped today! Now for the wait for delivery from the UK.

Emailed back and forth with Simpson’s and they are struggling like we are in the US. Most businesses shut down or employees working from home. Folks away from the Isle are not allowed to return home. The entire Isle is on lockdown! Kudos to all the folks at Simpson’s working to serve their customers yet trying their best to keep their employees safe!
I am also excited after reading so many comments, my T3 and Petrol Head TT IOM Synthetics still have not shipped. I am assumming they are in lockdown like we are. Hopefully soon.

I am also excited after reading so many comments, my T3 and Petrol Head TT IOM Synthetics still have not shipped. I am assumming they are in lockdown like we are. Hopefully soon.
My first order of the Petrol Head was on 3/19/2020 then I saw on their site the T3 became available again so on the 25th I added the T3 and was told my order would be delayed a week. Today they shipped. Patience is the key, and it doesn’t hurt to email them when at least a week has passed. They respond quickly. Hang in there!

My first order of the Petrol Head was on 3/19/2020 then I saw on their site the T3 became available again so on the 25th I added the T3 and was told my order would be delayed a week. Today they shipped. Patience is the key, and it doesn’t hurt to email them when at least a week has passed. They respond quickly. Hang in there!
I reached out to them on facebook and they say they are shipping orders out so I will be patient since my order was placed on the 25th.

Top Bottom