What's new

New budget Simpson synthetic: Trafalgar

Yep, I also got the Maggards email and ordered the T3 (along with a refill of SV Dolomiti). This will be the last shaving-related order I place for the foreseeable future.

Yep, I also got the Maggards email and ordered the T3 (along with a refill of SV Dolomiti). This will be the last shaving-related order I place for the foreseeable future.
Lol I got that email as well but I ordered direct yesterday. Maggards said "1 in stock." Did you order the only one?? [emoji848] [emoji1787]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hmm, no clue, but it shows out of stock now. I only know my paypal payment went through; I got a order confirmation from Maggards as well.

EDIT: The email "back in stock" notice I got was time stamped 1:40 my time; my Maggards order and Paypal confirmation emails are both time stamped 2:16 my time.

Last edited:
Got a t2 from Maggard's the other day. Officially got two shaves into it now.

It's 24mm, short brush with a loft smaller than even a Yaqi. The bristles are not as soft as a Yaqi (any type really), has slightly more back bone, and dosen't splay easily. The splay can definitely be chalked up to the lack of loft (and possibly a glue knot I'm certainly feeling).

I found this brush adequate, but not a great performer. It just cannot hold a decent amount of lather (and 24mm should be good, if not great, in this Dept) and simply does not perform in application. It is very reminiscent of my travel 22mm Yaqi. In fact, it is nearly the same size, save for the width of the knot.

What really shocked me was the fact that it is loosing hairs... Five so far. I've always been of the impression that this happens less (or not at all) with synths. Can't recall if this happened before. If so, it's rare.

Buying a cheaper Simpson, I don't feel so bad. Had I paid the full price for a Chubby or some such, and got this performance, I'd be livid. Still, when Yaqi runs circles around you (even if it is only the entry level market) you just dinged your pristine name. I think they should have either stayed in the higher end market, or made a real attempt.

My 2¢.

Strange. My T1 works great. I mashed the hell out of it a few times and it's loosened up nicely. It's not a splayer no, but it is a swirler, and works well for face lathering. Well worth the price I find.

Lately I am more drawned into ''half'' splaying the brush when face lathering.
FA stout is quite good at it but not of the density I would be excited with.
Do you gent's think a T1 or T2 would be a good addition for this kind of technique, exclusively for face lathering?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Do you gent's think a T1 or T2 would be a good addition for this kind of technique, exclusively for face lathering?
I face lather exclusively and occasionally use a Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic which is 27mm by 50mm. I prefer rotational mashing brush strokes and I need to forcibly start the splay on the point of my chin; from then on it lathers very well indeed. Once I have a good lather going then the brush splays more easily and is a joy to use, it just took a few uses to work out how to get the best out of it. It is a dense brush with plenty of backbone but it is not springy and does not fling lather around. Not sure if that helps but I understand the Trafalgar range compares well with the Chubby 2 so perhaps a T2 or T3 would suit you. Good luck.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

It's 24mm, short brush with a loft smaller than even a Yaqi. The bristles are not as soft as a Yaqi (any type really), has slightly more back bone, and dosen't splay easily. The splay can definitely be chalked up to the lack of loft (and possibly a glue knot I'm certainly feeling).

I found this brush adequate, but not a great performer. It just cannot hold a decent amount of lather (and 24mm should be good, if not great, in this Dept) and simply does not perform in application. It is very reminiscent of my travel 22mm Yaqi. In fact, it is nearly the same size, save for the width of the knot.

What really shocked me was the fact that it is loosing hairs... Five so far. I've always been of the impression that this happens less (or not at all) with synths. Can't recall if this happened before. If so, it's rare.

Buying a cheaper Simpson, I don't feel so bad. Had I paid the full price for a Chubby or some such, and got this performance, I'd be livid. Still, when Yaqi runs circles around you (even if it is only the entry level market) you just dinged your pristine name. I think they should have either stayed in the higher end market, or made a real attempt.

My 2¢.

That's odd - my T2 has not lost a single hair.

Brushes are very much a personal choice and I respect your observations.

In my den, the T2 is a very good performer that works for bowl and face lathering.

YMMV

Received my T3 today.....gave it a nice disinfecting vinegar soak and a palm lather.
Feels soft....holds a lot of water. Does splay enough but not to the pint of getting squooshy.
When I hold it under the tap, the hairs clump together around the outer circumference
and create a rather large crater in the centre....never seen anything like it.

My 2¢.
Thanks for the review. For some reason, I had a hunch that those knots might be stiffer than the common plissoft-like synthetics out there. They look nice though.

Re: the crater in the center of the knot when soaked

Plenty of synth knots do that. It happened to my Muhle STF knots; happens for my Razorock NOIR and Plissoft, APShaveCo SynBad, etc.

The only synth I currently own that doesn't exhibit the center crater is my Omega EVO, and even with this knot, it does have a slight bit of a center opening, if that makes sense.

That's odd - my T2 has not lost a single hair.

Brushes are very much a personal choice and I respect your observations.

In my den, the T2 is a very good performer that works for bowl and face lathering.

YMMV

My T1 lost a couple hairs and my T2 lost about 6-7 total over the first few shaves, but then they both stopped after that. My T3 has not lost any so far.

My T3 lost 2-3 hairs total. The first one when I took it out of the box... have to admit I was scared after seeing that, but now it's just perfect.

I'm calling that swirling. Sort of a half splay, or splaying the tips. Works well for face lathering.

I might have to try it with the swirl and see how it goes. As others have said, the brush is pretty. I kind of built up an expectation with the name being Simpson.

Thanks gentleman, i'm going to do a bit more experimentation.

Top Bottom