What's new

New Blades From Henson

So that means these blades have thick coating to make them "smoother." Maybe with new blades, put a slice into a thin piece of paper to remove the coating instead of using your face. This was recommended many years ago. That still doesn't do the razor any justice for somebody who just bought it.

I think it is more than coating. I used an RK blade for 4 days straight and it was tuggy the whole way through - to the point of pulling my upper lip down as I tried to shave. I had to rake and rake and rake to get an acceptable shave. Somehow I didn't end up with irritation, I couldn't do the same thing with a sharper blade, but the shave wasn't great and the experience was awful.

This is only my experience. RK blades may work well for others and that is wonderful. For me, when I put in a sharp blade, the Henson almost sings as it cleanly snips off my whiskers. That is a pleasure.

Last edited:
I think it is more than coating. I used an RK blade for 4 days straight and it was tuggy the whole way through - to the point of pulling my upper lip down as I tried to shave. I had to rake and rake and rake to get an acceptable shave. Somehow I didn't end up with irritation, I couldn't do the same thing with a sharper blade, but the shave wasn't great and the experience was awful.

This is only my experience. RK blades may work well for others and that is wonderful. For me, when I put in a sharp blade, the Henson almost sings as it cleanly snips off my whiskers. That is a pleasure.
My experience, exactly.

The Henson is really good with a sharp blade. it glides like it is on Vaseline, or something, and give a great shave.

I changed my blade and razor, today. I pulled out the ++AL13 and put a new blade in it. I shaved as soon as I got out of the shower (sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your breakfast! Hahaha!). My beard was nice and soft and I lathered a thick, yogurt-like lather. The shave with the medium using the Henson RK blade was better, but it was still scratchy and unpleasant. I got better beard removal, but that is only to be expected. Henson admits these are not sharp blades and suggested I use a Feather for my face! Hahahaha! If they only knew! I still had a bit of stubble, and the overall shave was not enjoyable. These blades are going in the trash.

I changed my blade and razor, today. I pulled out the ++AL13 and put a new blade in it. I shaved as soon as I got out of the shower (sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your breakfast! Hahaha!). My beard was nice and soft and I lathered a thick, yogurt-like lather. The shave with the medium using the Henson RK blade was better, but it was still scratchy and unpleasant. I got better beard removal, but that is only to be expected. Henson admits these are not sharp blades and suggested I use a Feather for my face! Hahahaha! If they only knew! I still had a bit of stubble, and the overall shave was not enjoyable. These blades are going in the trash.
Way ahead of you, Doc. Life is too short for bad blades as I'd like to say.

Just purchased a new Henson AL13, and it came with a package of RK stainless. My frame of reference is my old original Henson and my Wolfman WR1 (original). I normally use Feather blades. I’ve been blade (DE) shaving for almost a half century. My heritage is Scottish, so I have a beard like wire, and lots of it. I have NEVER gotten a good shave from a Russian blade. I’m talking Astra, GSB, Gillette Platinum, etc. they all tug badly on >1 day of growth and frequently give me severe irritation. Feathers glide through my beard. I tried the RK, just for fun, and I was really surprised. I was going through 3 days growth, and could feel the feedback, but it didn’t tug. No irritation after, and an easy DFS. I think I’ll keep at it with these, and see how they do as a daily driver and how long they last. I tried a Gillette Platinum again the other day, as I do every once in a while. I’m going to bin the rest of what I have, which is most of a pack of 100. I’ve had them a couple of years and just can’t get on with them. Same as the Astra I bought years ago. I threw those away long ago.

Please consider donating them to the Great Blade Exchange to help newer shavers. That's very interesting that the RK blades worked for you, I love me some Indian made blades!
Nope. Shipping rates from and within Canada make it not worthwhile. If someone from east end Toronto wants them, I’d meet up and hand them over, but I won’t ship.

I doubt that Henson sells enough blades that a blade manufacturer would specifically produce a blade to Henson's design specifications. You would have to sell millions of blades to make that worthwhile. However, printing a custom logo on a run of blades of a few thousand blades might be feasible. Many companies like Muhle have done that.

There are so many different blades in the market that there is no real need to produce an entirely new design. Henson may well have found a current blade that works well in their razor and convinced the supplier to use custom printing.

As for Astra SP blades, I have found them to be on the lower end of the quality scale for both sharpness and smoothness. I know they work well for a large number of shavers, but they do not have a beard as tough as mine nor a face as sensitive as mine. At least I can use Astra SP blades, but prefer not to do so. There are some blades that are so "dull" that they won't even cut my stubble. Astra SP are not quite that dull.

Due to the huge number of people in India, a lot of blades are made for the local market as well as export. Like blades made elsewhere, they cover a wide range of quality levels. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blades made in India are among the finest blades made anywhere in the world. I doubt that Gillette would produce private brand blades. There are several other blade manufacturers in the country as well.
What are your favorite blades?

When they say "specifically designed for the Henson AL13", there's really only a few variables I can think of: blade thickness, blade width, and edge geometry. Those are in order from least to most likely to be "specifically designed", imho.

I think that holds true for most DE razor blades...

"The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blades made in India are among the finest blades made anywhere in the world."

Without a doubt. Absolutely one of my absolute favorite blades (that and Polsilver Super Iridium which supposedly are discontinued).

I 100% agree with your assessment. I h a very hundreds of Black's in my stash!

I've done a lot of back to back comparisons lately in all of my RR Lupos, GCs, and Muhles. The RK blades work OK but are not nearly as smooth as Astra SS, SPs, GSB, Gillette platinums, or feathers. I can always immediately notice the difference. Anyone near Toronto want 90 of them? The feel reminds me of German Personna plats, I just can't get on with them

I am adding some information to this topic. Gillette moved Astra blade production to China. The packaging looks the same, but will show made in China on the packaging. So far the majority of reviewers of the Chinese Astra blades (about 90%), have concluded that the shave experience and quality of the blades is much lower than the PPI blades produced in Russia. Based on this, it is likely that the Henson RK blades are the better choice between Astra and RK. Please see my previous post (#48) in this thread, for my take on the Henson RK blades. Since that post, I have determined my favorite blades for the Henson AL13+++. They are BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece), Personna Med Preps (USA), Gillette 7'OClock Blacks (India), Treet Platinums (Pakistan), and lastly, Feather (Japan). All of those blades are sharper than either Astra (PPI Russia) and RK (India)...with some being very smooth and some less smooth. I also like King C Gillettes, Wizamets, and Nacets, BUT since all of those blades are sourced in Russia, they will not be available to many of us in the future...and that is why I have not included them in my favorites. King C Gillettes are now manufactured in China, and have had some terrible reviews from those who loved the PPI Russia KCG blades. It is possible that Wizamets will be available from Morocco for the foreseeable future, but there is no guarantee. US vendors are slowly running out of Nacets at this time. All of my favorites are available from most vendors, and are popular blades among traditional wet shavers.

I didn't even bother trying the blades that came with the razor (al +++).
Last time I use the razor, was the 3rd shave in a row with it that has been a failure (BIC, Gillette and Feather). This razor "chokes" on any growth beyond 2 days......; maybe daily.......

My guess is that RK blades are probably rebranded Wilkinson Gillette or the others from Supermax?
Just used the blades from Leaf, and they are OK for 2 shaves.....mid tier?

From a marketing point of view, I understand the reason for creating a dependency on consumables. The promise of getting the best performance out of the appliance - whether it's true or not - will certainly persuade some people to buy it.

For me, however, this is a reason not to buy these blades or this razor because DE shaving stands for independence.

My guess is that Henson picked the RK blades because they could be good for someone transitioning to DEs. To me, they seem to be heavily coated and not very sharp. That would mean less chances for nicks and irritation for a new shaver and more likely they will not return the razor. That would be a smart business move.

Experienced shavers, like most of us, would disregard that tuck and go right to our favorite blades.

I tried them when I got my razor. They really lit me up and I changed the blade out half way into the first pass. Astra SS do pretty much the same thing to me. I'm not too sure why some blades do this, but oh boy!

Top Bottom