What's new

New Black Ark, now what

vintage washita 427gm 2x6x1

white hard ark 491gm 2x8x1

the vintage washita feels much denser

white hard ark is porous and friable compared vintage washita
It doesn't add up. I believe what you are saying but hard Ark and friable just doesn't go together. The really soft arks, some even carrying a Washita label are the only ones I have seen that could be described as friable. I think that stone is probably miss cast. It doesn't make the stone any less useful though.

When I say friable ..... it’s soft. I easily over lapped in a chamfer and chipped corner it’s odd but it’s less dense but the way I have it finished finer grit and slower than Washita...

It's odd for me to see these Arks getting all this love. When the water stones came along everyone I know went that direction for their knifes and woodworking tools.I just never changed over and when I started with straights about a year ago I just used what I had. I think I have a couple coticules coming though, really curious.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Biglo13...... The only white, supposedly, hard Ark I've seen that is friable is a reconstituted one that I picked up. An Arkaram, I believe they are called. It's neither hard or dense. Seller called it a hard. Cuts like a fiend for certain applications, I've never tried a razor on it.

Curious to hear, I have read several people prefer their soft arks over Dan's. My Dan's soft seems very fine, but I am newish to this. Waiting on a turkey washita to arrive to see how it is, then probably a hard , black and black trans from Natural Whetstone co. missed a great deal from a member on here on a three stone set.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Biglo13, I got a "white hard" slip stone from Natural Whetstones. I'm positive it's Arkaram also. Yes, the seller's ad clearly said hard. Maybe from reconstituted compressed hard dust? Arkaram may be a brand name but I use it for convenience to describe compressed Arks. I also erroneously call any Ark that's not a hard trans or black, a Washita. Never tried a razor on an Arkaram. I've been giving my Natural Whetstones soft Ark the stink eye for a long time. I think I'll re lap it and give it another chance....

Top Bottom