New 26mm 2-Band Fan

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by Graydog, Feb 23, 2019.

Nice job. Those SHD knot are pretty nice, IMO.

1. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

Thanks, Oscar how long have you been making handles?
    You do some beautiful work.

2. @greydog Thanks, I appreciate it. I've been turning for quite awhile. I'd say about 20 years or so. I got interested in making coyote calls and it just grew from there. I've been a wet shaver my entire life (66 years old). When I started looking for straight razors I found a few shaving forums and the rest is history. I don't sell any brushes but just make them for my experiments.

3. Have you ever made anything out of synethics like G10 or Micarta?

4. Gosh G10 would be a hell of a handle material. Talk about a brush that would last several lifetimes.

5. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

What is G10 ?

6. G10 is a very hard fiberglass composite. Lots of material, very compressed, very dense and really strong.

Drop a brush made of it on your bathroom tiles you'd find out that you could happily demolish your bathroom with it.

Dunno what you'd need to turn it... maybe diamond-tipped tools :p

A quick search turned up G10 FR4 Fiberglass Epoxy Composite Laminate Sheets, FR4, G 10 a 2" diamter rod is only $112 per foot...

7. It actually isn't too bad to work with, though it wouldn't breath it in. I would say it is similar to working with iron wood. I use it for knife scales and the end result is quite wonderful, kind of a synthetic grain that really pops when you finish it with linseed oil.