What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like all of my AC razors - original SS General, DLC SS Hawk, AT SE1 and SE2 - but would rank them (here I'm going by memory) as follows:
  • Hawk
  • General
  • SE1
  • SE2
The SE2 (Open Comb and I think aggressive geometry) is a handful but still useable.

I probably like the Hawk more than most fellows. I've also not used any other AC safety razor since I received the Hawk. This is because the others were on a road trip. (From which they returned months ago.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 179 of 180 = 99.4%
Blackland Brotherhood
High Efficiency June and July 2022
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20220628_223314~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Crown TRH8 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Geo. F. Trumper's Extract of Limes
Aftershave: Gabel's Lime
Fragrance: Classic Match Volatile EdT Spray

My feelings regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB are well documented. In all respects, this was a superlative, top tier shave. The Vector surpasses expectations for all of my required attributes: Efficient + Smooth + Nimble&Maneuverable = Highly Effective! :thumbup:
20220628_223356~2.jpg

The Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle is an outstanding brush. Definitely one of my favorite brushes! :thumbup:

GFT soaps do not have the reputation for being easy to lather. There are a few intrepid souls here at B&B who are able to get good results using GFT soaps. Load heavily (and often) - then load more prior to lathering for each pass. Add water as needed. The "easy button" is to add a bit of Cremo to the bowl prior to beginning. Either way, GFT is very capable of producing a good, slick lather with excellent post shave skin feel! :thumbup:
20220628_223443~2.jpg

Gabel's Lime (with Menthol) is a refreshing and satisfying splash! Classic Match Volatile EdT Spray finishes things nicely! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

The ST is probably the sane choice, but I figured I'd get both heads while they were still available.

The HA is probably not a daily driver, but an excellent very high efficiency razor that actually controls the blade. It's moderately smooth, but I was keenly aware that it demands full attention.

Still churning my thoughts around my brain on the HA. I am very interested in your impressions of the ST. :)
I had been looking at the Stirling SS for months and then simply forgot about it. The when I read Rod’s description, I could not resist. My gut says it will be made to order.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 180 of 181 = 99.4%
20220629_204010~2.jpg

Razor: Claymore Evolution (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Cu/Al Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7)
Brush: Zenith B34 Butterscotch Chubby
Lather: Geo. F. Trumper's Extract of Limes
Aftershave: Gabel's Lime
Fragrance: Classic Match Volatile EdT Spray

I wrote my most recent thoughts regarding the Claymore Evolution elsewhere in my Journal. Quoting myself: "The Claymore Evolution is an interesting, and very good, AC razor. "Deceptively" efficient, smooth, not as nimble and maneuverable as the Vector or The General. A very effective razor. I'm still noodling the ultimate placement of the Claymore Evolution in the AC blade and overall hierarchies. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Big Dogs!" :thumbup:
20220629_204059~2.jpg

The Zenith B34 Butterscotch Chubby is another one of my favored boar brushes. Looks cool. Performs wonderfully! :thumbup:
20220628_223443~2.jpg

Same GFT Limes soap, Gabel's Lime Aftershave and Classic Match Volatile EdT Spray as yesterday! Wonderful performance and the scents are great! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 181 of 182 = 99.5%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
SOTD - Supporting Vendor Week - “A.E. Simpson Shaving Brushes” June 27th, 2022 to July 3rd, 2022
20220630_212633~2.jpg

Razor: Schöne OC
Blade: German Bolzano (4)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 in Platinum Synthetic Fibre
Lather: Pre de Provance No. 63
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Belcam Vault EdT Spray

The Schöne OC is one of my favorite Fatip Friday razors! :thumbup:
20220630_212710~2.jpg

The Simpson Chubby 2 in Platinum Synthetic Fibre is dense, with decent backbone and soft tips. Performance is quite good! :thumbup:

PdP 63 is an excellent soap with a very well deserved positive reputation. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20220630_212802~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman provides a wonderful finish to my shave! Applied Belcam Vault EdT Spray before going out for the day. Really nice scent. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 182 of 183 = 99.5%
SOTD - Supporting Vendor Week - “A.E. Simpson Shaving Brushes” June 27th, 2022 to July 3rd, 2022
20220702_130416~2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti Slim SB (Timeless Crown TRH8 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 in Sovereign Synthetic Fibre

Love the Timeless Ti Slim SB. Efficient, very smooth and very effective! My favorite Timeless and a solid Big Dog! :thumbup:
20220702_130510~2.jpg

The Simpson Trafalgar T3 has really grown on me over time. A very enjoyable brush! Good performance! :thumbup:
20220630_212802~2.jpg

Used the same soap, aftershave and EdT Spray as yesterday. Really nice scents. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 183 of 184 = 99.5%
Single Edge Sunday
20220703_114716~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (5)
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super Badger

The General is an excellent Alpha Big Dog razor that provides superb, top tier performance. A complete pleasure to use! :thumbup:
20220703_114808~2.jpg

The Simpson Tulip T3 in Super Badger is a wonderful brush. The handle is very ergonomic and the Simpson Super Badger is excellent! :thumbup:
20220630_212802~2.jpg

Used the same soap, aftershave and EdT Spray as yesterday. Really nice scents. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 Happy Independence Day 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
365 Shaves in 2022: 184 of 185 = 99.5%
Blackland Brotherhood
High Efficiency July 2022
MdC Monday
20220704_100630~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (8)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Fragrance: Red Classic Match EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors Vector SB is, in all respects, a superlative, top tier razor. The Vector surpasses my expectations for all required attributes: Efficient + Smooth + Nimble&Maneuverable = Highly Effective! :thumbup:
20220704_100713~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan) is one of my favorite brushes! A complete pleasure to use! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Nature is as good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20220704_100812~2.jpg

Old Spice Classic is a venerable aftershave with great performance and scent! My face is very happy! Applied Red Classic Match EdT Spray before going out for the day. Very nice scent. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 185 of 186 = 99.5%
Blackland Brotherhood
20220705_111305~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (9)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)

Pretty much the same kit as yesterday. The Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive also uses a Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. :thumbup:
20220705_111355~2.jpg

20220704_100812~2.jpg

This kit is a complete pleasure to use! Very satisfying in all respects! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 186 of 187 = 99.5%
20220705_211502~2.jpg

Razor: Razorine Flatboy (Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Jade (AP Shave Co 26mm Synbad Fan)

First shave with the Razorine Flatboy. Nice construction, 100% Brass head. Paired it with the Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium handle and Personna Med Prep blade. When they say "Flatboy", they mean it. Reminds me of the Roedter 1909, in this respect. Nice balance. Used a steep angle. Quite efficient. Lots of audible feedback. Not the smoothest razor in the world - I'd peg it as the low side of medium. Maybe medium effective. I'll dial things in after more shaves. Probably not a daily driver. Good value for the price if, and only if, you like high efficiency razors. More to follow. :)
20220705_211600~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co Jade (AP Shave Co 26mm Synbad Fan) is a wonderful brush. Lathers great. Feels great. :thumbup:
20220704_100812~2.jpg

Same soap, aftershave and EdT Spray as yesterday. Very satisfying in all respects! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

I had my inaugural shave with the Flatboy this morning too! I went shallow at first but indeed steel works well also. Used a fresh Dorco Titan. I thought it was much more comfortable than I anticipated at least. On your Timeless handle the head looks amazingly good too.

Enjoy your future shaves. I will do a couple of consecutive runs to establish my feel for the razor.

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I had my inaugural shave with the Flatboy this morning too! I went shallow at first but indeed steel works well also. Used a fresh Dorco Titan. I thought it was much more comfortable than I anticipated at least. On your Timeless handle the head looks amazingly good too.

Enjoy your future shaves. I will do a couple of consecutive runs to establish my feel for the razor.

Guido
I'm doing Blackland Thursday tomorrow and Fatip Friday after that. The Razorine Flatboy is back on on tap for Saturday - this time with a Feather. :cool:

I'm doing Blackland Thursday tomorrow and Fatip Friday after that. The Razorine Flatboy is back on on tap for Saturday - this time with a Feather. :cool:
Excellent David! It's a Fatip SE for tomorrow (obviously..duhh! for Friday nothing else :001_wub:) and then my new R41 (the real McCoy - I had the original head delivered today after my last horrendous shave with the cloned version; turned out to be modelled after the 2011 version).

Looking forward to your further explorations and findings on the Flatboy.

Cheers,

Guido.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 187 of 188 = 99.5%
Blackland Brotherhood
Blackland Thursday
20220707_174426~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle (Hand-tied 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: Brut Original EdT Spray

Love the shaves I get with my Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird! My Alpha Big Dog DE Razor! :thumbup:
20220707_174604~2.jpg

The Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood brush is incredible. Lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Fougère is as good as shaving soap gets! Simply outstanding! :thumbup:
20220707_174458~2.jpg

The perfect match for MdC Fougère is Brut Classic Aftershave. Applied Brut Original EdT Spray before going out for the day. A combination that is wonderfully satisfying in all respects! :thumbup:

This kit fires on all cylinders and delivers an absolutely superb top tier shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 188 of 189 = 99.5%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20220708_121304~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Grande
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Fragrance: Classic Match Polo

The Fatip Mixed Metal Grande is a wonderful razor for Fatip Friday! :thumbup:
20220708_121206~2.jpg

My comments regarding the SV Olive Wood brush also apply to the Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle brush. The Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti is another soap that is as good as shaving soap gets! Luxurious! :thumbup:
20220708_121058~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman provides a wonderful finish to any shave! Applied Classic Match Polo EdT Spray before going out for the day. A wonderfully satisfying combination! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
365 Shaves in 2022: 188 of 189 = 99.5%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
View attachment 1484900
Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Grande
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Fragrance: Classic Match Polo

The Fatip Mixed Metal Grande is a wonderful razor for Fatip Friday! :thumbup:
View attachment 1484899
My comments regarding the SV Olive Wood brush also apply to the Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle brush. The Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti is another soap that is as good as shaving soap gets! Luxurious! :thumbup:
View attachment 1484898
Pinaud Clubman provides a wonderful finish to any shave! Applied Classic Match Polo EdT Spray before going out for the day. A wonderfully satisfying combination! :thumbup:

I have a similar brush... but not a "limited edition".... just the SV 2.0 26mm Bog Oak Manchurian currently available. It looks the same as yours, David. I bought mine here from Doug (SgtCrppls). It's wonderful.... so much so, that I purchased a couple more with different handles. I don't have much experience with badger brushes. Before I bought the SV brushes, I only had the Zenith M23 Manchurian with the Copper 506 style handle with which to compare the SV brushes. It's also quite nice but the SV brushes are luxurious... I don't know how else to describe them.

Last edited by a moderator:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a similar brush... but not a "limited edition".... just the SV 2.0 26mm Bog Oak Manchurian currently available. It looks the same as yours, David. I bought mine here from Doug (SgtCrppls). It's wonderful.... so much so, that I purchased a couple more with different handles. I don't have much experience with badger brushes. Before I bought the SV brushes, I only had the Zenith M23 Manchurian with the Copper 506 style handle with which to compare the SV brushes. It's also quite nice but the SV brushes are luxurious... I don't know how else to describe them.
My apologies. The Bog Wood brush is not an LE. That is a typo.

The Olive Wood brush is an LE.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will edit appropriately.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't know for sure. Could be the 30mm knot?

Here's the info enclosed with the brush. :)
View attachment 1484723

Thanks, David.

I'd hold onto that one if I were you.

Drooling.

Since you have the two SV brushes, the LE and the Bog Oak, would you measure them to see how they compare in your measurements?

I know SV also made a larger brush with an octagonal shaped handle. Forgotten the name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom