What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
the SV Paragon? I think that was the name.... let me look. Yeah... Paragon... the same as my Fisher bike frame that has since been replaced under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, David.

I'd hold onto that one if I were you.

Drooling.

Since you have the two SV brushes, the LE and the Bog Oak, would you measure them to see how they compare in your measurements?

I know SV also made a larger brush with an octagonal shaped handle. Forgotten the name.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I will definitely hold on to the SV LE brush. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 189 of 190 = 99.5%
High Efficiency July 2022
20220709_144949~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle R41/Spitfire Cap (Spitfire Cap courtesy of @BradWorld)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Polo

***Many thanks to @BradWorld for the loan of the Spitfire Cap.*** :thumbup:
20220709_145200~2.jpg

20220709_215536~2.jpg

The Spitfire Cap, used in place of the Cap on a current Mühle R41, reportedly allows the shaver to experience the approximate feel of the 2011 R41. I've never experienced the 2011 R41, so my comments will offer comparisons to the current stock R41, the R41/Yintal and the R41/SLOC. Firstoff, how does the R41/Spitfire shave? Lots of audible feedback. Lots of blade. Very close shave. No blood. Not a daily driver, but not bad at all. Almost in Roedter 1909 territory. My initial thought is that I like the R41/Yintal and the R41/SLOC more than the Spitfire. Both impress me as being smoother and more effective. More comments to follow after additional shaves. :)
20220709_145118~2.jpg

The RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic a really cool brush and an excellent value! :thumbup:
20220709_145016~2.jpg

Same soap, aftershave and EdT Spray as yesterday. A very satisfying combination! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 190 of 191 = 99.5%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
20220710_112819~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (10 and retired)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors Vector SB is, in all respects, a superlative top tier razor. The Vector surpasses my expectations for all required attributes. My #1 Alpha Big Dog! :thumbup:
20220710_112945~3.jpg

The Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle is a true top tier brush. Very comfortable and ergonomic handle. The Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti is another top tier soap that is as good as shaving soap gets! Luxurious! :thumbup:
20220710_112848~2.jpg

Bootlegger's Green Freeze provides a wonderful finish to any shave - especially when it's 90+ degrees outside! Applied Belcam Volatile EdT Spray before heading out for Sunday Brunch - love this stuff. A wonderful and very satisfying combination! :thumbup:

A superb top tier shave in all respects! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 191 of 192 = 99.5%
Bootlegger's Brigands
MdC Monday
20220711_102218~2.jpg

Razor: Jones Shake Sharp v1
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère

The Jones Shake Sharp v1 razor and the Personna Med Prep blade are a very good match. The combination works quite well and is reasonably efficient, smooth and effective! A very cool razor! :thumbup:
20220711_102341~2.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle + TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan is a great brush. Ergonomic and comfortable. Really like how the TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan loads and lathers! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Fougère is a top tier soap that is as good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20220711_102251~2.jpg

Bootlegger's Green Freeze provides a wonderful finish to any shave - especially when it's 90+ degrees outside! Applied Belcam Volatile EdT Spray before heading out for the day - love this stuff. A wonderful and very satisfying combination! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 192 of 193 = 99.5%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20220712_153052~2.jpg

Razor: Stirling Stainless ST Plate (GTS Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère

First shave with the Stirling Stainless ST Plate. Moderate/High blade feel. Manageable when using my preferred steep angle. A highly efficient razor, it provides an excellent shave. The question is out there: Is the SS-ST more efficient than the Ti Blackbird? Maybe a bit - yes. HOWEVER, the ST is not as smooth as the Ti 'Bird nor is the ST as Nimble & Maneuverable (even with the GTS Handle). In total, the Ti 'Bird is the more EFFECTIVE razor. These are my initial impressions. In fairness to the ST, I'll reserve further comment until after some additional shaves. :cool:
20220712_153137~2.jpg

Rudy Vey's 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF) is fantastic! :thumbup:
20220711_102251~2.jpg

Same soap, aftershave and fragrance as yesterday. A wonderful and very satisfying combination! :thumbup:

David,

When is the Flatboy up again in your rotation? Curious to know how you experience a second try/run.

Cheers,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 193 of 194 = 99.5%
20220713_123557~2.jpg

Razor: Razorine Flatboy (@Rosseforp 28g GTS Handle)
Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

Second shave with the Razorine Flatboy. The Flatboy geometry kind of reminds me of the Roedter 1909, so I decided to go with a fresh German Bolzano blade this time. Used my usual steep angle. In my opinion, the German Bolzano is a better blade choice. This combination is still efficient. Still lots of audible feedback. The Flatboy/Bolzano is a bit smoother, but the Flatboy is still not the smoothest razor in the world. Getting closer to medium effective. More to follow. :cool:
20220713_123717~2.jpg

The Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot) feels substantial in the hand - very comfortable. The combined brush quickly and easily whips up a wonderful lather. A very nice brush! :thumbup:

The Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus is a wonderful soap. Great lather, slick, nice cushion and very nice post shave feel! :thumbup:
20220713_123626~2.jpg

Epsilon Mediterranean Blue is a very refreshing and soothing aftershave. Makes my face happy! Followed everything with Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray. A wonderful combination that is very pleasant and refreshing. :thumbup:

Interesting David. I get some of my closest shaves with the Flatboy and with fairly smooth running too (not R41 close but in that region). I do find it requires a slightly different than my usual (steep) angle. Still steep but not perpendicular to the face I would say. Then it starts tugging on me. And definitely not riding the cap either because then it will most likely bite me.

Best,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Interesting David. I get some of my closest shaves with the Flatboy and with fairly smooth running too (not R41 close but in that region). I do find it requires a slightly different than my usual (steep) angle. Still steep but not perpendicular to the face I would say. Then it starts tugging on me. And definitely not riding the cap either because then it will most likely bite me.

Best,

Guido
My beard is quite wiry and chaotic. Not easy to please. ;)

If needed, I can certainly use a less steep angle if the razor requires it. I did try a slightly less steep angle, but went back to using the Flatboy with the handle not quite parallel to my face.

In general, the razors I can comfortably use steep get the most use. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
And luckily for you, you have a lot to choose from. Perfect example perhaps of YMMV. You have some of the best razors in the world in your rotation, but not all can get into the Big Alpha Dog league, right?

Made a mental note though that I really need to get me a pack of Bolzano’s!

Cheers,

Guido
Make sure that they are the Made in Germany Bolzanos.

I don't care for the new Bolzano blades that are Made in Egypt.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
And luckily for you, you have a lot to choose from. Perfect example perhaps of YMMV. You have some of the best razors in the world in your rotation, but not all can get into the Big Alpha Dog league, right?
Thank you, my friend.

And yes, YMMV definitely applies. A razor that I really like may not meet the shaving requirements of another shaver. That's why there are so many razors out there. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 194 of 195 = 99.5%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20220714_115310~2.jpg

Razor: Stirling Stainless ST Plate (@Rosseforp 28g GTS Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co White (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Fragrance: Classic Match Man EdT Spray

Today, I paired the Stirling Stainless ST Plate with a Perma-Sharp blade and the @Rosseforp 28g Cu/Al GTS Handle. Nice combination. The ST is a very good razor. Medium++ efficient. Medium smooth. Low side of medium nimble & maneuverable. A moderately effective razor that provides very good results. However, my initial impressions are that I prefer the HA Plate to the ST Plate. The HA Plate is on tap for Saturday to help me confirm, or refute, my initial impressions of these two very good plates. More to follow. :cool:
20220714_115439~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co White (26mm G5C Fan) is an outstanding brush. Lathers great and feels great! :thumbup:

The Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus is a wonderful soap. Great lather, slick, nice cushion and very nice post shave feel! :thumbup:
20220714_115331~2.jpg

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum really works for me. A wonderful aftershave. Finished up with some sprays of Classic Match Man EdT Spray before heading out. All in all, a wonderful combination of soap, aftershave and fragrance that is very pleasant and refreshing. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 195 of 196 = 99.5%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20220714_220211~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Grande
Blade: German Bolzano (2)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)

The Fatip Mixed Metal Grande is a wonderful razor for Fatip Friday! :thumbup:
20220714_220333~2.jpg

The Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle brush lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:
20220714_220234~2.jpg

Same soap, aftershave and fragrance as yesterday. A wonderful combination that is very pleasant and refreshing. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
365 Shaves in 2022: 195 of 196 = 99.5%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
View attachment 1488703
Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Grande
Blade: German Bolzano (2)

The Fatip Mixed Metal Grande is a wonderful razor for Fatip Friday! :thumbup:
View attachment 1488705
The Saponificio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle brush lathers beautifully and feels great. Outstanding performance! :thumbup:
View attachment 1488704
Same soap, aftershave and fragrance as yesterday. A wonderful combination that is very pleasant and refreshing. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:
I've been enabled by Jim and you.. I just love the SV brushes. I have one more on the way.... that will be it though, but only because I didn't find another handle that grabs me unless I pay way more than I'd like at the SV Italian site.

Top Bottom