never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blackland Vector
Blackland Sabre L1 & L2 base plates
RazoRock Hawk V3 standard

And while not SE, Blackland Blackbird

My concerns:
+ the Vector and Blackbird may be too efficient for my fickle skin.
+ Long term blade availability for the Sabre

My objectives:
+ Consistent 2.5 to 3.5 pass shaves, no nicks, no irritation, DFS, DFS+, DFS++ that last 12 hours +/-.
The Vector is my favorite overall and favorite AC razor. Using the Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (guarded blade) results in a medium+ efficient, highly smooth, pretty darn effective razor. Could easily by my daily driver. :)

My second place AC razor is the Colonial Razors The General. Not as nimble and maneuverable as the Vector, but sure gets the job done. :)

Hope this helps. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 56 of 57 = 98%
Blackland Brotherhood
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20220226_204131~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5 and retired)
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Green (24mm Cashmere)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Osage Rub

The Ti Blackbird is right in the sweet spot of what I look for in a DE razor. An absolute joy to use with exceptional quality and performance! My favorite current DE razor! :thumbup:
20220226_204220~2.jpg

The Yaqi Dandelion Green 24mm Cashmere brush is a really nice, very reasonably priced brush! :thumbup:
The Captain's Choice Copper Bowl rocks! :thumbup:

Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose is excellent! Great lather, slickness and post-shave face feel! :thumbup:
20220226_204257~2.jpg

Osage Rub is a very invigorating aftershave. I like it! :thumbup:

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

The Vector is my favorite overall and favorite AC razor. Using the Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (guarded blade) results in a medium+ efficient, highly smooth, pretty darn effective razor. Could easily by my daily driver. :)

My second place AC razor is the Colonial Razors The General. Not as nimble and maneuverable as the Vector, but sure gets the job done. :)

Hope this helps. :)
It does. The Vector seems to be a logical choice.

Thanks and regards!!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
With respect to efficiency and effectiveness, how does the Vector compare with say the Rex Envoy?
Depends on which Vector plate/blade combination is used.

Vector SB plate with Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (guarded blade): Slightly less efficient, smoother, slightly more effective.

Vector OC plate with Feather Pro Super: More efficient, comparable smoothness, more effective.

Of note: The Vector is significantly more nimble and maneuverable than the Envoy. It also costs twice as much. :)

Depends on which Vector plate/blade combination is used.

Vector SB plate with Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (guarded blade): Slightly less efficient, smoother, slightly more effective.

Vector OC plate with Feather Pro Super: More efficient, comparable smoothness, more effective.

Of note: The Vector is significantly more nimble and maneuverable than the Envoy. It also costs twice as much. :)
David, it sounds like the vector would make a fantastic daily driver for me.

Thanks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 57 of 58 = 98%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
20220227_200328~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (TiBam 'Antique' Ti Handle)
Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze

The Blackland Razors Vector is a thoroughly impressive razor, an absolute joy to use and, currently, my favorite razor! :thumbup:
20220227_200423~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF knot) is awesome! Rudy's 2022 Contributors handle is great! The Mühle 25mm STF knot is great! Fantastic brush! :thumbup:

Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose is excellent! Great lather, slickness and post-shave face feel! :thumbup:
20220227_200507~2.jpg

Bootlegger's Green Freeze is a wonderful aftershave. Nice scent. Very invigorating. I like it! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 58 of 59 = 98%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
MdC Monday
20220228_202829~2.jpg

Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Blackland Razors Vector is an absolute joy to use and my current favorite razor! :thumbup:
20220228_203003~2.jpg

I REALLY like my new Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush with the Mühle 25mm STF knot. Fantastic brush! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Nature is as good as shaving soap gets. Top Tier all the way! :thumbup:
20220228_203053~2.jpg

Really love Bay Rum aftershaves and Bootlegger's Bay Rum is one of my favorite Bay Rums. Great way to finish my shave! :thumbup:

Shaving with kit like this is an absolute pleasure. A superb top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 59 of 60 = 98%
Blackland Brotherhood
20220301_200023~2.jpg

Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (6)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: Tallow + Steel West Indies
Aftershave: Tallow + Steel West Indies

The Blackland Razors Vector is an absolute joy to use and my current favorite razor! :thumbup:
20220301_200146~2.jpg

Another awesome Rudy Vey Brush: Irish Bog Oak (IBO) handle with the Mühle 25mm STF knot. Fantastic brush! :thumbup:

Tallow + Steel is an excellent Top Tier soap! :thumbup:
20220301_200232~2.jpg

The matching Tallow + Steel Aftershave is a great way to finish my shave! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 60 of 61 = 96%
Blackland Brotherhood
20220302_204218~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors ERA Level 4 SB
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey AS3M (Mühle 25mm STF)
Aftershave: Tallow + Steel West Indies

Took the Blackland Razors ERA SB Level 4 for a spin today. Paired the Level 4 with a Perma-Sharp blade and used my standard 3-Pass + touchup process. Impressions of the ERA Level 4 SB: 1) Strange, the ERA Level 4 SB seemed to be more nimble and maneuverable than the Level 5 SB. 2) On MY face, skin and beard, I rate the Level 4 SB as medium efficient, medium+ smooth and medium (very close to medium +) effective. 3) First shave impressions, but the Level 4 SB feels like it might exhibit a more balanced combination of efficient, smooth, nimble and maneuverable leading to what might be a more effective shave (in comparison to the Level 5 SB). This is very interesting! :cool:
20220302_204305~2.jpg

Yet another awesome Rudy Vey Brush: AS3M handle with the Mühle 25mm STF knot. Fantastic brush! :thumbup:

20220302_204347~2.jpg

The matching Tallow + Steel Aftershave is a great way to finish my shave! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Strange, the ERA Level 4 SB seemed to be more nimble and maneuverable than the Level 5 SB.
I found the Level 4 SB more nimble then then the Level 3 OC. And the OC would not cut at a steep shaving angle, yet the 4 SB allowed me to shave steeper. Not quite my preferred super steep, but closer than the OC. I only have the two plates so far. I want the 5 SB and OC next.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I found the Level 4 SB more nimble then then the Level 3 OC. And the OC would not cut at a steep shaving angle, yet the 4 SB allowed me to shave steeper. Not quite my preferred super steep, but closer than the OC. I only have the two plates so far. I want the 5 SB and OC next.
So far, I just have the Level 4 SB and the Level 5 SB. The Level 5 is more efficient, but I'm going to have to go back and forth with the 4 and 5 to see which is the more effective. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 61 of 62 = 96%
Blackland Brotherhood
20220303_142102~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors ERA Level 4 SB
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5 and Retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS knot)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Sticking with the Blackland Razors ERA Level 4 SB for today's shave. Additional impressions (on MY face, skin and beard) of the ERA Level 4 SB: 1) Today's shave reinforced my feeling that the ERA Level 4 SB seems to be a bit more more nimble and maneuverable than the Level 5 SB. 2) Reinforced my rating of the Level 4 SB as medium efficient, medium+ smooth and medium+ effective. 3) The Level 4 SB does feel like it exhibits a very nice balance where efficient, smooth, nimble and maneuverable and effective are concerned. This is an interesting razor for $75! :cool:
20220303_142136~2.jpg

Today's brush is the awesome Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle with the TNS 24mm Original BOSS knot. Fantastic brush! :thumbup:

20220303_142214~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman Aftershave is a great way to finish my shave! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Sticking with the Blackland Razors ERA Level 4 SB for today's shave. Additional impressions (on MY face, skin and beard) of the ERA Level 4 SB: 1) Today's shave reinforced my feeling that the ERA Level 4 SB seems to be a bit more more nimble and maneuverable than the Level 5 SB. 2) Reinforced my rating of the Level 4 SB as medium efficient, medium+ smooth and medium+ effective. 3) The Level 4 SB does feel like it exhibits a very nice balance where efficient, smooth, nimble and maneuverable and effective are concerned. This is an interesting razor for $75! :cool:
I also did a repeat with the ERA Level 4 SB for 3/3. I switched up the soap to B&M Seville, which is a known top performer in my den… and went deliberately steep. Super steep in parts. Paying close attention to my angle the whole way. I noticed that the steeper I went, the smoother and smoother the razor got. I felt at times like the razor wasn’t cutting, but it was. I ended up with a solid DFS. And no irritation or weepers like I experienced on the prior shave. This is not the most efficient razor, especially when shaving on the steep. But this shave was ultra smooth and very comfortable. And the results were not bad. About what I would get with an excellent Tech or R89. So a couple of things come to mind after this last shave. First, I wish the OC combs were not so long preventing a steep angle. That is a shame, because I think a steep angle would improve the shave on the OC as well. And second, bring on the ERA SB Level 7. 😎. Third, I wish the Level 5 SB were available, as I would order it right now.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I also did a repeat with the ERA Level 4 SB for 3/3. I switched up the soap to B&M Seville, which is a known top performer in my den… and went deliberately steep. Super steep in parts. Paying close attention to my angle the whole way. I noticed that the steeper I went, the smoother and smoother the razor got. I felt at times like the razor wasn’t cutting, but it was. I ended up with a solid DFS. And no irritation or weepers like I experienced on the prior shave. This is not the most efficient razor, especially when shaving on the steep. But this shave was ultra smooth and very comfortable. And the results were not bad. About what I would get with an excellent Tech or R89. So a couple of things come to mind after this last shave. First, I wish the OC combs were not so long preventing a steep angle. That is a shame, because I think a steep angle would improve the shave on the OC as well. And second, bring on the ERA SB Level 7. 😎. Third, I wish the Level 5 SB were available, as I would order it right now.
We are in complete agreement on the Level 4 SB. 👍

The Level 5 SB is more efficient, but at the cost of a bit of smoothness and, as a result, is not quite as nimble and maneuverable as the Level 4 SB. Which is the more effective plate? Today, I'm leaning toward the Level 4 SB, though I'm not ready to definitively make that call. One thing is for sure, the ERA, whether Level 4 SB or Level 5 SB, is a very good razor for only $75. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
We are in complete agreement on the Level 4 SB. 👍

The Level 5 SB is more efficient, but at the cost of a bit of smoothness and, as a result, is not quite as nimble and maneuverable as the Level 4 SB. Which is the more effective plate? Today, I'm leaning toward the Level 4 SB, though I'm not ready to definitively make that call. One thing is for sure, the ERA, whether Level 4 SB or Level 5 SB, is a very good razor for only $75. :)
I think it’s just a good razor, period. The tolerances are not at the level of a machined razor. We knew that was a possibility going in. But the design that Shane achieved with the 3D printing would be very difficult, and expensive, to do with a machined razor. And as the technology gets better over time, so will the razors. This is a ground breaking project on a couple of levels, and I’m happy to be along for the ride.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 62 of 63 = 98%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20220304_211659~2.jpg

Razor: Schöne :001_wub:
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and Retired)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lustray Spice
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The Schöne is a wonderful razor. Smooth, efficient and effective! :thumbup:
20220304_211759~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush! :thumbup:

20220304_211845~2.jpg

Went with the Pinaud Clubman Lustray Spice Aftershave and followed with Cuba Orange EdT Spray. Nice combination! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Top Bottom