never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 292 for 292 = 100%
20211019_085940~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CH1
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (5)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Van Yulay Puros La Habana
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Canoe EdT Splash
20211018_212112~2.jpg
20211018_212141~2.jpg

First use of the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CH1 SB razor. Paired it with the Egyptian Bolzano - a blade with which I am becoming quite familiar. The Aluminum Cap and Handle plus the Copper Plate combine to produce a nicely weighted and balanced razor. Glides over my skin - no drag. The CH1 Copper Plate has lots of blade, is highly efficient and effective. I like this combination and will try the Copper CR1 Plate tomorrow. :thumbup:
20211019_090023~2.jpg

The Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot has become one of my preferred synthetic brushes. Great combination of handle and knot. :thumbup:

First use of the Van Yulay Puros La Habana soap - a Tallow + Emu Oil based offering. Nice soap! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. I plan on using until the next MdC Monday to give it a good audition. :thumbup:
20211019_090157~2.jpg

Great Aftershave + Fragrance combination today: Pinaud Clubman aftershave + Canoe EdT Splash fragrance. Works together quite well and is another longtime combination that carries the "Bride Approved" seal of approval. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 293 for 293 = 100%
20211020_120148~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (6 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad Knot)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR

Trying the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1 SB razor today. Paired it with the Egyptian Bolzano and used a Neutral to Shallow Angle. To reiterate: The Aluminum Cap and Handle plus the Copper Plate combine to produce a nicely weighted and balanced razor. Glides over my skin - no drag. The CR1 Copper Plate has a medium amount of blade, is efficient and really smooth. The result is a very effective razor. I like this combination at least as much as I like the same razor using the CH1 plate. :thumbup:
20211020_120229~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot is a very nice, very reasonably priced, brush. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Puros La Habana soap - a Tallow + Emu Oil based offering - is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. This soap will be a regular in my soap rotation. :thumbup:
20211020_120306~2.jpg

Back on my Bay Rum kick today with the wonderful Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting soap that one.

1634816113969.png

The line includes this one, too, which is unscented.

For reasons beyond my understanding I'm only interested in acquiring soaps without scent these days, but I have my Vitos Red (which is unscented by the time I use it) and a recently acquired tub of Shannon's Soaps NIL (which is also unscented).

Amazing how many soaps are made these days. It's very hard to beat the Vitos Red though.

Occasionally I use one of my many scented and fancy soaps but mostly its Vitos Red day after day which makes it hard to justify buying another tub of soap.

Weird by B&B standards.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Interesting soap that one.

View attachment 1349444

The line includes this one, too, which is unscented.

For reasons beyond my understanding I'm only interested in acquiring soaps without scent these days, but I have my Vitos Red (which is unscented by the time I use it) and a recently acquired tub of Shannon's Soaps NIL (which is also unscented).

Amazing how many soaps are made these days. It's very hard to beat the Vitos Red though.

Occasionally I use one of my many scented and fancy soaps but mostly its Vitos Red day after day which makes it hard to justify buying another tub of soap.

Weird by B&B standards.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I like lightly or unscented soaps. Opens the entire realm of scented aftershaves and fragrances up without concern for conflict.

Like you, I could use Vitos Red every day and be happy. That soap just flat works. Shaving ADD can be an impediment to contentment. ;)

The MdC Nature is another soap I could use every day. It slightly (ever so slightly) edges out the Vitos Red. I've read the concerns that some find the MdC slightly drying. I don't. My Southern Italian skin loves the MdC.

SV is in there, as are the WSP Formula T (tallow) and Rustic (vegan) soaps. Plus there are some others.....

This Van Yulay Tallow and Emu Oil soap is quite interesting. My first two shaves with it have been wonderful. If the performance holds up for the rest of the week, it may just join my Big Dogs Soaps. :)

365 Shaves in 2021: 293 for 293 = 100%
View attachment 1349269
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (6 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad Knot)

Trying the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1 SB razor today. Paired it with the Egyptian Bolzano and used a Neutral to Shallow Angle. To reiterate: The Aluminum Cap and Handle plus the Copper Plate combine to produce a nicely weighted and balanced razor. Glides over my skin - no drag. The CR1 Copper Plate has a medium amount of blade, is efficient and really smooth. The result is a very effective razor. I like this combination at least as much as I like the same razor using the CH1 plate. :thumbup:
View attachment 1349270
The AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot is a very nice, very reasonably priced, brush. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Puros La Habana soap - a Tallow + Emu Oil based offering - is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. This soap will be a regular in my soap rotation. :thumbup:
View attachment 1349271
Back on my Bay Rum kick today with the wonderful Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. :thumbup:

Today I used Windsor Pro aluminum with copper CM1 with a Nacette blade, excellent efficient smooth shave. One of my best shaves

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Today I used Windsor Pro aluminum with copper CM1 with a Nacette blade, excellent efficient smooth shave. One of my best shaves
Excellent! 👍

I'm really enthusiastic about the combination of the Windsor Pro Aluminum with the Copper Plate. Nice weight - not too heavy or too light - and I like the balance.

The Egyptian Bolzano is a good blade, but it necessitates a Shallow Angle and I prefer going Steep. Be very interesting to see how it works using the German Bolzano and a Steep Angle. 😎

This is fun. 😊

Excellent! 👍

I'm really enthusiastic about the combination of the Windsor Pro Aluminum with the Copper Plate. Nice weight - not too heavy or too light - and I like the balance.

The Egyptian Bolzano is a good blade, but it necessitates a Shallow Angle and I prefer going Steep. Be very interesting to see how it works using the German Bolzano and a Steep Angle. 😎

This is fun. 😊
Never tried Bolzano, found that sharp blades goes well with the CM1 in Windsor pro Alum. I like the weight balance too, Makes it different than the Windsor SS. ATT is my top razor. I use the CR1 CH1 with the SS Windsor, and dedicated the CM1 to the Windsor Pro

By the way, ATT is having a great discount on Windsor copper plates and some other SS razor parts. Encourage you guys to check their website.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Never tried Bolzano, found that sharp blades goes well with the CM1 in Windsor pro Alum. I like the weight balance too, Makes it different than the Windsor SS. ATT is my top razor. I use the CR1 CH1 with the SS Windsor, and dedicated the CM1 to the Windsor Pro
Bolzano moved manufacturing from Germany to Egypt. Been checking out the differences between the older German Bolzano blades and the current Egyptian Bolzano blades.

The German Bolzano is my go to blade for my Fatips - Steep Angle, beautiful shaves. 👍

The Egyptian blades are good, but need a Neutral to Shallow Angle to perform at their best.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 294 for 294 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211021_194225~2.jpg

Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)

Trying the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1 SB razor with a German Bolzano. Back to my preferred Steep Angle. Previous notes regarding the excellent weight and balance of this razor configuration apply. Efficient, really smooth and very effective razor. The German blade works great using a Steep Angle. Very comfortable. Great results! :thumbup:
20211021_194309~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co. Elegant Emerald with 24mm Synbad knot is another very nice, very reasonably priced, brush. Great value and performance. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Tallow + Emu Oil based Puros La Habana soap is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. This soap has has earned a spot in my Big Dog soap rotation. :thumbup:
20211021_194352~2.jpg

Staying with my Bay Rum kick and with the wonderful Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. :thumbup:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Your discoveries with the Bolzanos of all nations is a fascinating one. It makes me think thicker blades I don’t enjoy for cap riding in a Fatip Grande (such as the excellent Personna Lab Blue) will be much better in razors used with a steep angle (same Fatip Grande with its comb on spa duty).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Your discoveries with the Bolzanos of all nations is a fascinating one. It makes me think thicker blades I don’t enjoy for cap riding in a Fatip Grande (such as the excellent Personna Lab Blue) will be much better in razors used with a steep angle (same Fatip Grande with its comb on spa duty).

Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

Still need to measure the thickness of both blades, but blade thickness is certainly one possible reason for the increased audible feedback and need to use a shallow angle when using the Egyptian blade in the same razors.

Using the German Bolzano, and a nice steep angle, yesterday resulted in a very delightful shave with excellent results.

It is always good to learn new things. YMMV certainly applies to blades. Different blades for different razors is a common method for many. For me the only razor and blade combination that is appreciably different is using a feather in my Timeless Titanium 0.68. I prefer to shave steep and now I’m learning that some blades may prefer certain angles. It is good to know this and if a new blade doesn’t feel right steep, I’ll change the angle and unless I get outstanding results refrain from buying that blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 295 for 295 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
OCtober 2021
20211022_101439~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE OC
Blade: German Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

The Fatip Piccolo SE + the German Bolzano is a total pleasure to use. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. :thumbup:
20211022_101506~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Tallow + Emu Oil based Puros La Habana soap is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. This soap has has earned a spot in my Big Dog soap rotation. :thumbup:
20211022_101538~2.jpg

For Clubman Friday this week, I went with the outstanding Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods. Great Aftershave! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 296 for 296 = 100%
20211023_184016~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

To my face, the Brass Blackbird and the Perma-Sharp are a very good match - efficient, very smooth and very effective. I really like the Brass Blackbird. It consistently delivers top tier, superb shaves. :thumbup:
20211023_184106~2.jpg

The Craving Shaving Debris Handle plus PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot is a great brush. The handle fits naturally in hand and the knot lathers wonderfully. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Tallow + Emu Oil based Puros La Habana soap is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. This soap has exceeded any expectations I had for it by a very wide margin. :thumbup:
20211023_184200~2.jpg

Back to the outstanding Pinaud Clubman VIBR today. Great Aftershave! Followed with some Cuba Orange EdT Spray. Definitely ready to take on the day! :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

The CM1 is the only copper Windsor plate available now. I was not going to order it, thinking it's probably too mild and not very efficient.

1635087213021.png

If the CM1 combined with my Windsor Pro cap is indeed an excellent, efficient, and smooth razor I'm going to like it a lot.

Mild means many things.

1635087321144.png

I could use another mild feeling, smooth, effective, efficient razor with a very small gap. That sort of item is hard to come by. It doesn't have to be "highly" efficient, but if it is I won't complain.

You will see elsewhere that I ordered the SSH1 baseplate in SS, too, and an Atlas handle (both returns).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

The CM1 is the only copper Windsor plate available now. I was not going to order it, thinking it's probably too mild and not very efficient.

View attachment 1351381

If the CM1 combined with my Windsor Pro cap is indeed an excellent, efficient, and smooth razor I'm going to like it a lot.

Mild means many things.

View attachment 1351383

I could use another mild feeling, smooth, effective, efficient razor with a very small gap. That sort of item is hard to come by. It doesn't have to be "highly" efficient, but if it is I won't complain.

You will see elsewhere that I ordered the SSH1 baseplate in SS, too, and an Atlas handle (both returns).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Hello Jim. Yes only CM1 in razor parts, but they have CM1 & CR1 in returns if you are interested. When I used the CM1 with Windsor Pro stainless steel it was mild and not really for me. But with Windsor Pro Aluminum it became more efficient and gave a much better shave. For me, I use the CM1 only with Aluminum Pro razor and with a sharp blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1351381

Mild means many things.

View attachment 1351383

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
I found that the CM1 in the Stainless Windsor Pro was too mild for my face and whiskers. The Classic cap provides additional blade exposure and was a more efficient match.

Hello Jim. Yes only CM1 in razor parts, but they have CM1 & CR1 in returns if you are interested. When I used the CM1 with Windsor Pro stainless steel it was mild and not really for me. But with Windsor Pro Aluminum it became more efficient and gave a much better shave. For me, I use the CM1 only with Aluminum Pro razor and with a sharp blade.

Interesting. I'll have to try the CM1 with the Aluminum Windsor Pro. :)

I found that the CM1 in the Stainless Windsor Pro was too mild for my face and whiskers. The Classic cap provides additional blade exposure and was a more efficient match.

Awaiting your feedback :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Wonder how the Windsor Pro SB90 in SS and the Windsor Pro SB90 in aluminum differ other than weight. Perhaps I'm missing something generally known.

I've ordered the CR1 from the returns section, too, you enabler.

I'd seen both on the returns yesterday but forgotten about them when I ordered the CM1.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom