What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 308 for 308 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211104_202310~2.jpg

Razor: Yates Brass 921-HYB (Charcoal Goods Brass Dimpled Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Shannons Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Finally get to shave with an all brass Yates head - brass cap & brass plate! The Yates Brass 921-HYB provides the good points of the Yates design with less drag than I felt with the stonewashed stainless cap and plates. Went with the OC side for the first two passes and used the SB side for the third pass, touch-ups and buffing. Medium efficient, smooth and medium effective. A very nice shave! :thumbup:
20211104_202415~2.jpg

The RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic is a very good brush and an excellent value. Loads great, lathers great and feels great. :thumbup:

Shannons Soaps Barbershop is my soap this week. So far, a very nice soap that I'm liking a lot. :thumbup:
20211104_202452~2.jpg

Really like Old Spice Classic - a great traditional aftershave. :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
365 Shaves in 2021: 308 for 308 = 100%
View attachment 1357755
Razor: Yates Brass 921-HYB (Charcoal Goods Brass Dimpled Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Finally get to shave with an all brass Yates head - brass cap & brass plate! The Yates Brass 921-HYB provides the good points of the Yates design with less drag than I felt with the stonewashed stainless cap and plates. Went with the OC side for the first two passes and used the SB side for the third pass, touch-ups and buffing. Medium efficient, smooth and medium effective. A very nice shave! :thumbup:
View attachment 1357757
The RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic is a very good brush and an excellent value. Loads great, lathers great and feels great. :thumbup:

Shannons Soaps Barbershop is my soap this week. So far, a very nice soap that I'm liking a lot. :thumbup:
View attachment 1357756
Really like Old Spice Classic - a great traditional aftershave. :thumbup:

I had the Yates collaboration with Wet Shaving Club (I think that's right) razor. Liked it okay enough I guess, but used it only once and passed it on to a grandson. The downside for me was the drag. I suspect it could be overcome, but I didn't feel like fooling with it. I believe it had the machined finish.

Occasionally I consider buying another Yates razor. Every time I look I can't find what I want. I do not have any interest in their complete razors as I want a shorter and fatter handle than their standard complete razor model which offers no handle options.

Today, after reading your shave report with the brass I decided to see if I could order the same razor head. It was no surprise to find the don't have the baseplate in stock. I seldom find anything to buy there other than parts which don't go together. They have the cap but not the baseplate. They have the baseplate but not the cap.

Wolfman razors are easier to buy.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I had the Yates collaboration with Wet Shaving Club (I think that's right) razor. Liked it okay enough I guess, but used it only once and passed it on to a grandson. The downside for me was the drag. I suspect it could be overcome, but I didn't feel like fooling with it. I believe it had the machined finish.

Occasionally I consider buying another Yates razor. Every time I look I can't find what I want. I do not have any interest in their complete razors as I want a shorter and fatter handle than their standard complete razor model which offers no handle options.

Today, after reading your shave report with the brass I decided to see if I could order the same razor head. It was no surprise to find the don't have the baseplate in stock. I seldom find anything to buy there other than parts which don't go together. They have the cap but not the baseplate. They have the baseplate but not the cap.

Wolfman razors are easier to buy.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Happy shaves,

Jim
In my case, I had the baseplate from when they were in stock and added the cap when it became available.

You are correct, piece parting razors together is a pain.

Luckily, BOSC SCIENCE rules my brain. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 309 for 309 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20211105_142417~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: German Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + German Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20211105_142500~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

Shannons Soaps Barbershop is my soap this week. Does a lot of stuff right. Excellent soap. :thumbup:
20211105_142541~2.jpg

Still have Bay Rums on the brain and Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a very nice Bay Rum for Clubman Friday. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 310 for 310 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood
Knights of the Veg Table
20211106_174043~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor! :thumbup:
20211106_174126~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co. Elegant Emerald with 24mm Synbad knot is another very nice, very reasonably priced, brush. Great value and performance. :thumbup:

Shannons Soaps Barbershop is my soap this week. Great initial and residual slickness. Nice lather! Excellent soap! :thumbup:
20211106_174253~2.jpg

Today, this Proud Knight of the Veg Table is rocking Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal. Love wearing The Veg! :punk: :thumbup:

Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 311 for 311 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
20211107_115954~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless TRH8 Ti Crown Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor that provides thoroughly impressive performance! :thumbup:
20211107_120151~2.jpg

The Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic has good backbone and scrub - especially for a synthetic. Plus, I really like the handle! :thumbup:

Wrapping up my week with Shannons Soaps Barbershop today. This is a very impressive soap with outstanding performance. Highly recommended! :thumbup:
20211107_120241~2.jpg

This Sunday, I'm using one of my favorite Aftershave/Fragrance pairings: Bootlegger's El Dorado aftershave paired with Lagerfeld Classic fragrance. Love wearing this "Bride Approved" combination. :thumbup:

Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 312 for 312 = 100%
MdC Monday
20211108_164548.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Selected the CM1 (Mild) plate for the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal razor and loaded a fresh Feather blade. Mild, smooth, comfortable razor that takes an extra pass + extra touchups and buffing to get through my barbed wire whiskers. Overall a really nice mellow shave. :thumbsup:
20211108_164650.jpg

The Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan is a very cool brush. The TurnNShave handle is very natural and comfortable in hand. The TNS 25mm Quartermoon knot is one of my preferred synthetic knots. This brush does a lot of things right. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20211108_164744.jpg

Went with Brut Classic as my aftershave today. A great match with the MdC Fougère soap. :thumbup:

Last edited:
365 Shaves in 2021: 312 for 312 = 100%
MdC Monday
View attachment 1359821
Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Selected the CM1 (Mild) plate for the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal razor and loaded a fresh Feather blade. Mild, smooth, comfortable razor that takes an extra pass + extra touchups and buffing to get through my barbed wire whiskers. Overall a really nice mellow shave. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1359823
The Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan is a very cool brush. The TurnNShave handle is very natural and comfortable in hand. The TNS 25mm Quartermoon knot is one of my preferred synthetic knots. This brush does a lot of things right. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
View attachment 1359822
Went with Brut Classic as my aftershave today. A great match with the MdC Fougère soap. :thumbup:

When I want to give my face a rest I use the CM1 with Windsor Pro aluminum , and have a good shave. So for me it's just wtg and xtg. The next day will be for an efficient razor! In your opinion, did you find the CM1 a bit more efficient with the aluminum pro? it could be the weight / balance

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I want to give my face a rest I use the CM1 with Windsor Pro aluminum , and have a good shave. So for me it's just wtg and xtg. The next day will be for an efficient razor! In your opinion, did you find the CM1 a bit more efficient with the aluminum pro? it could be the weight / balance
I've tried the CM1 with both the Stainless and Aluminum Windsor Pro razors. The Aluminum might be slightly more efficient, but not a huge difference.

My whiskers are old, gray, wiry and grow in swirls and very chaotic directions - in other words, a real pain. I gave up on BBS because I have to shave certain areas 4 to 5 different directions to get there.

With the CM1, I used 4 passes + touchups and buffing on my trouble spots. No blood and very minimal irritation. DFS result, but I don't believe it will be super long lived before the stubble comes back out to play.

The CM1 is a very nice mild plate. I prefer it over the Henson Al13 Medium and the WCS/YPM Winning Razor.

Just my rambling opinions. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've tried the CM1 with both the Stainless and Aluminum Windsor Pro razors. The Aluminum might be slightly more efficient, but not a huge difference.

My whiskers are old, gray, wiry and grow in swirls and very chaotic directions - in other words, a real pain. I gave up on BBS because I have to shave certain areas 4 to 5 different directions to get there.

With the CM1, I used 4 passes + touchups and buffing on my trouble spots. No blood and very minimal irritation. DFS result, but I don't believe it will be super long lived before the stubble comes back out to play.

The CM1 is a very nice mild plate. I prefer it over the Henson Al13 Medium and the WCS/YPM Winning Razor.

Just my rambling opinions. :)

OMG, only 4 to 5 directions to really get there!

4 to 5 directions is in some places, most places, is kinda the minimum for me, and not close to the minimum in several areas, and that's just to get a decent shave. There are exceptions - the iKon Tech being one of them, but I don't much like it and rarely use it - but generally I have to go over most areas many times from lots of directions.

My cheeks are pretty easy and might require only four directions, but not just four passes of the razor over each section of skin.

I'm new to the ATT CM1, and my only available cap is the SS Windsor Pro cap, but I'm finding it much more efficient than I might expect for how smooth and comfortable and easy to use it is. It's not anywhere as efficient, and it's shave isn't as long lasting as some razors, but I used it yesterday. Probably today I could get by without a shave if I needed to and wanted to, but I'll use the CM1 set up again today.

Tomorrow I'll probably use a much more efficient razor, the WR2 1.35 for Wolfman Wednesday.

If I've used a mild razor I liked more than the CM1 I don't remember it.

Mostly I do the same shave regardless of what razor I'm using, but that's not 100% true with every razor and every shave. I seldom actually chase the baby but am happy to almost catch him on occasion. I wouldn't expect a CM1 shave to be one of those occasions, but who knows.

My whiskers sound like yours. I'd also say I've also thought of myself as having an average beard and whiskers until things changed as I got old and became a hobbyist and a seeker.

Happy shaves,

Jim

4 to 5 directions is in some places, most places, is kinda the minimum for me, and not close to the minimum in several areas, and that's just to get a decent shave. There are exceptions - the iKon Tech being one of them, but I don't much like it and rarely use it - but generally I have to go over most areas many times from lots of directions.

My cheeks are pretty easy and might require only four directions, but not just four passes of the razor over each section of skin.

I'm new to the ATT CM1, and my only available cap is the SS Windsor Pro cap, but I'm finding it much more efficient than I might expect for how smooth and comfortable and easy to use it is. It's not anywhere as efficient, and it's shave isn't as long lasting as some razors, but I used it yesterday. Probably today I could get by without a shave if I needed to and wanted to, but I'll use the CM1 set up again today.

Tomorrow I'll probably use a much more efficient razor, the WR2 1.35 for Wolfman Wednesday.

Mostly I do the same shave regardless of what razor I'm using, but that's not 100% true with every razor and every shave. I seldom actually chase the baby but am happy to almost catch him on occasion. I wouldn't expect a CM1 shave to be one of those occasions, but who knows.

My whiskers sound like yours. I'd also say I've also thought of myself as having an average beard and whiskers until things changed as I got old and became a hobbyist and a seeker.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I 100% share with you what you wrote. I enjoy daily shaves just for the fun of it, whereas it used to be daily shaves before going to work. I also enjoy using the CM1 and very happy with it's shave comfortable smooth enjoyable and representable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Happy shaves,

Jim

I 100% share with you what you wrote. I enjoy daily shaves just for the fun of it, whereas it used to be daily shaves before going to work. I also enjoy using the CM1 and very happy with it's shave comfortable smooth enjoyable and representable.
I like the CM1. The CM1 is a very smooth, mild and comfortable plate. It remains in my Den for those occasions when I want the type of shave it provides. Overall, though, I see myself using the CR1 more. Maybe the CH1, too.

With the CR1, I get higher efficiency, maybe a tiny bit less smooth and higher overall effectiveness.

Just my opinion.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

With the CM1, I used 4 main passes, multiple touch-ups on my problem areas plus buffing to get DFS.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 313 for 313 = 100%
20211109_155344~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Pre de Provance No. 63
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray

Today, I selected the CR1 plate for the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal razor and paired it with a Feather blade. Efficient, smooth and very effective razor. Very comfortable. Superb results! :thumbup:
20211109_155428~2.jpg

The Craving Shaving Debris Handle plus PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot is a great brush. The handle fits naturally in hand and the knot lathers wonderfully. :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 soap is another excellent soap residing in my Den. Lathers easily. Love the face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20211109_155514~2.jpg

Finished today's shave with the outstanding Floïd The Genuine aftershave. Great stuff! Went with the Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray as my fragrance. Really nice combination. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 314 for 314 = 100%
Wolfman Wednesday
20211110_150620~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (Timeless TRH8 Crown Handle - Polished)
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan Knot)

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is one of my top DE Big Dogs. The Feather blade is an awesome match. Very efficient, very smooth and very effective! :thumbup:
20211110_150705~2.jpg

The Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan Knot) is a wonderful brush. The handle is very ergonomic and the Maggard SHD Fan is an excellent knot that won't break the bank. :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 is my soap this week. PdP 63 is an excellent soap. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20211110_150736~2.jpg

As the weather cools, Bay Rums really rock! Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a wonderful Bay Rum with very decent staying power. Laissez les bons temps rouler! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Veterans Day & Remembrance Day 2021
God Bless Our Brave Vets
May We Never Forget Their Sacrifices

365 Shaves in 2021: 315 for 315 = 100%
Tech Tuesday on Thursday
20211111_115309~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech (Timeless TRH8 Crown Handle - Polished)
Blade: Kai (5 and retired)
Brush: Epsilon Butterscotch Chubby (26mm STF Synthetic)

The Gillette Pre-War Tech is one of my favorite Techs (the Timeless TRH8 handle is a fantastic match). This is a great razor that holds its own with a lot of expensive competition. Four passes plus touchups and my face feels wonderful - very smooth, no blood, no irritation. :thumbup:
20211111_115349~2.jpg

The Epsilon Butterscotch Chubby is a very cool brush. Whips up a great lather and gets it applied on my face in a very comfortable and efficient manner! :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 is my soap this week. PdP 63 is an excellent soap. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20211111_115427~2.jpg

Bay Rums seem to be on my brain lately. Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a wonderful Bay Rum with very decent staying power. :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In terms of efficiency how do you classify your pre-war Tech?

I can't remember right now, which slots does it have, triangles or rectangular/ovals?

Some folks say the pre-war Tech and the post-war Tech are considerably different in their shaves. What say you?

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In terms of efficiency how do you classify your pre-war Tech?

I can't remember right now, which slots does it have, triangles or rectangular/ovals?

Some folks say the pre-war Tech and the post-war Tech are considerably different in their shaves. What say you?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Pre-War = Triangles.

Post-War = Ovals.

Considerably different? Not to me.

In my opinion, the Pre-War Tech is slightly more efficient than the Post-War Tech. I also prefer, by a small margin, the Canadian Pre- and Post-War versions.

The Post-War has better blade support, but I get slightly better shaves with the Pre-War. Go figure.....

Both are really smooth and work when using a steep angle (with appropriate minimal pressure).

Top Bottom