What's new

Needing help! Which handle on a brush?

makin chips myself yesterday, set the knot today, 24mm TGN grade A, 48mm loft.
proxy.php

Nice! Ebony base with a faux ivory top? I'm thinking of doing something similar next, maybe a little longer than this one. Today I bored the hole for the knot, and parted it off the puck on the bottom. I bored a hole in the puck, and it does indeed make a neat looking stand. Now it's just a case of doing a little more sanding, the final test fit, and the finish. I can't wait to give this brush a whirl!

Nice! Ebony base with a faux ivory top? I'm thinking of doing something similar next, maybe a little longer than this one. Today I bored the hole for the knot, and parted it off the puck on the bottom. I bored a hole in the puck, and it does indeed make a neat looking stand. Now it's just a case of doing a little more sanding, the final test fit, and the finish. I can't wait to give this brush a whirl!

Ebony yes,but real ivory, do not do faux.

The stand was an afterthought. I couldn't see doing away with that scrap, since the grain matches the handle, but I do like it myself. In an earlier test fit with the knot in the handle, the stand portion held it quite securely.

Spindlecone....real ivory? Wow! Do you have a source you can share with us, or are we relegated to admiring from afar? It is strange to see this, as I was just thinking of an ebony/ivory combo for my next turning project!

sadly the Voodoo surrounding Ivory is unfounded, is plenty of so called pre-ban Ivory to be traded, bought and sold, legally in this country, from artifacts to entire tusks.
I in no way condone the killing of Elephants to support the illegle Ivory trade, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.
For instance, I use alot of ebony, Lignum Vitae etc, the trees of which are on the endangered list of unobstainable woods, should They not be used?
The magnificent woods that we get from south america, cocobolo, Morado etc, are harvested and we are told, to the detriment of the rain forests which in turn contributes to global warming (we are told) should we not use them? some would say no.
Being an old world type of person, I try very hard not to use synthetic, man made things such as plastic (I hate plastic anything).
Is my contention that it is the manufacture of all things synthetic that has destroyed our ecosystem, not the little guy using the god given things to produce items of true lasting beauty.
Sorry for the rant, all better now:)

Absolutely no need to apologize for the rant at all! I never thought about it, but it does make sense that we have caused a lot of harm to the ecosystem by over-synthesizing our existence. Using plastics as an example, how much harm has been done to the earth by manufacturing the plastic involved in the average auto?

Anyway, I gots to find me a source for some of that vintage ivory! I dry fit the knot last night, at about 55 mm loft. Even with no finish on the wood, I am very pleased with how this brush looks!

So it is glueing up, waiting to decide what it wants to be:) Is going to be a brush, can you guess what it is made of?
If all go's well, the answere later today.
proxy.php

Well, its still not finished, but here is some pics of a dry fit. With luck, I'll be able to get in the shop and put the final touch to it on Sunday.

full

And one more, sitting in its "stand":

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiiiiice - I love the tapering to the base, it looks perfect! Sure looks fine siitting in the base too...

I was going to add a single brass band around the handle somewhere, but it almost feels like it would be too much. The wood really did show me what shape it wanted to be, so I just let it out of the block. I like it, though, it fits my hand pretty well. If I can get into the shop tomorrow, I'll get the finish on it, and should be able to give it a whirl by mid-week. I'm getting pretty antsy, though. it looks like it'll be a great latherer.

It's done, the knot is set (slightly angled due to being distracted while using a very fast setting glue), and the finish is completed. It has 7 coats of CA glue, sanded to 600 grit, and 3 coats of standard issue turtle wax. After seeing how it looked with a satin finish, I decided not to take it to my polishing bonnet. I shampooed the knot, and whipped up a lather with it. It's very soft, but not limp. Tomorrow night will be it's first shave!!

full

BTW: Is the tan and white material mammoth tooth/tusk? Not sure on the wood, though. How did the turning come out, spindlecone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom