What's new

Need suggestion for new shaving cream.

+1 for biotique bio palmyra.

It's an excellent cream. Very slick lather and lots of cushion! I highly recommend it.

I really like tub it comes in as well.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419055625.448475.jpg

it arrived!
$sampler.jpg
Note there are two violets and two roses, one stronger than the other. Just sniffing, my first preferences are the almond and the sandalwood. Mergress long shown for scale

Last edited:
it arrived!
View attachment 532153
Note there are two violets and two roses, one stronger than the other. Just sniffing, my first preferences are the almond and the sandalwood. Mergress long shown for scale

How do you like the Spiced Citrus? I want to try that next.

I'm a fan of the TOBS Grapefruit. Almond is very nice, as well, but I don't notice the smell very much when I am lathering and shaving. I've tried DR Harris' Almond, and TOBS' is just slightly better.

Scent is interesting . . .pleasant, but I haven't shaved with it yet. I'll report as I go. I hope there's value in one members opinion of comparable products.

Just tried the TOBS Almond. Very mild but tasty scent, hardly noticeable during shaving. Lather built very quickly and very thick, easily. My best shave yet with least nicks, too.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll cowboy up and use the Musgo Real Lavender.

This morning was the Musgo Real Lavender. Scent was more chemical than floral, but in any case didn't linger past shaving. Makes me wonder, are any of these supposed to leave a scent or just to "flavor" the shaving experience?

Anyway, the lather was quite thin and non-lubricating, compared to the easy richness of yesterday's TOBS Almond. Even though I set my Mergress back down to #2, I got a few nicks, a couple of them I would judge severe. The Musgo goes to the back of the cupboard and I'm not anxious to try the other one in the sampler.

I also returned to my eShave balm and am more comfortable. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

The new St James line of creams is great.
They take Creighton's production, to a next higher level of performance.
If you like TOBS and T&H creams, you're sure to like the new St James offerings.
View attachment 531982

This, i have the mandarin patchouli and its absolutely fantastic, scent and performance wise. Its close to castle forbes in the very small amount you use to get incredible amounts of lather, but the slickness is miles ahead of TOBS

ultimately your question is tough to answer without a budget...if budget is not an issue i would say castle forbes, next tier budget wise would be GFT coconut, and St james of london any variety. Next level budget wise for me would be musgo real which i will always contend is the most underrated cream discussed on the forum.

I will note that i find TOBS creams for the most part to be under performers and i have ditched every tub i have tried, they look great in the bowl, but perform horrible on the face compared to others.

Found another sampler site: The Shave Den. They have sets of 6 and offer the important ones i missed in the first sampler: T&H, Salter, Speik, et. Now if I could only find St James . . .

Today I used the GFT Rose. The shave was good, smooth and without nicks requiring any special attention. I also used Proraso pre-shave for the first time.

Almost, but not quite as good, as my recent experience with TOBS Almond after Lather&Wood pre-shave oil.

The rose scent is not really my style, but the shave was good, so I look forward to my other GFT.

Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather.

A very nice warm leather scent.

I just picked up a tube of this a couple weeks ago. After Tabac, this is now my second favorite scented cream. My wife, on the other hand, says this is THE best scented soap or cream I have ever tried.

Today, D R Harris "Windsor." I couldn't really decypher what the scent was supposed to be. Chemical, but not unpleasant, but like the others, gone with the rinse.

Shave was excellent. Comparable to my first sample from TOBS. I had used the Proraso pre-shave again, but I'm giving it up. The menthol is unpleasant to me. Any suggested substitutes other than oils?

Top Bottom