What's new

Need some repair advice...

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Evening all,
So I picked up a neat old Albright Rubberset Bill Squat brush. The sterling fixtures really sold it but it has a nasty crack. I would really like to bring this beauty back to life and while I search for a donor ferrule I wanted to ask the experts how to proceed. I know the knot has to go but how would ya'll approach the crack repair. Is it as easy as epoxying the crack and clamping it while it sets? Or will there be some excavating of the back side of the crack involved, etc. Thank you in advance! Pictures of the damage...

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have nothing really apart from what you all ready suggested. I hope that someone with more restoration experience can help you out. Good luck, it is a nice brush and worth restoring if possible IMHO.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
NOT A EXPERT HERE ,Do not use CA (SUPER GLUE)
It will react with the black material , I had a bad experience when CA glue hit the surface and I had to spin it on the lathe and smooth it out with a wood turning chisel and sandpaper taking off a few layers
Does it go together when you clamp it ?
ER 160 5.jpg
ER 160 7.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hi Steve,
It sort of goes together but the base of the ferrule has a chunk missing from it as well. I think my best course of action at this point is to start hunting for another Bill Squat to transfer the silver piece into. Let the hunt begin!

What are the dimensions of the ferrule? If the ferrule is a doubtful piece, it might serve you well to hold on to it in the event you need donor material for filler.

Top Bottom