What's new

Need Soap Recommendation

Scents are personal, so I'll focus mainly on performance. And while I've had some pretty good non-Tallow soaps (tfs, la toja, spartan, Savon Volcans, etc.), my ultra high tier soaps have all been tallow.

In terms of in-production or currently available, I recommend: Barrister and Mann, L&L Grooming Co., and tallow AOS (sandalwood...available on ebay). Lisa's Naturals is good too, but light on scent. But as stated, if money is no object, also pick up some MDC, Nuavia, and LPL to see what all the fuss is about.

Ryan, you can always just start with top tier soaps. I started a thread on another forum (DFS) back in October on L&L Grooming. It's the finest soap I have tried after many years trying most commercial and artisan. Just a wonderful ingredient list. I can't say enough great things about this soap base.

Also Sudsy Soapery, PannaCrema, CRSW Premium which are now just labelled Select.

Give a try to Soap Commander soaps. Really interesting scents combined with excellent performance. Order directly from Soap Commander, after translating their (not-so-helpful) brand names: e.g., "Love" = "Rose."

I love both Martin de Candre and Le Pere Lucien, and Soap Commander is right up there in quality. Cheaper, too.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What are you shaving with razor wise?

I would always recommend that you start at the top if the price is not a factor, heck even if it is because soap is only expensive compared to other soaps. Then you will have a proper reference point(s) for evaluating lesser soaps and know what's a good deal and what isn't. A couple of exceptions for me, I did not think the current version of XPEC was that great and neither did the fellow I bought a 95% tub from - he asked me later and said the same thing. I'm also not a fan of menthol-eucalyptus so I have not tried Santa Maria Novella though many folks rave about it.

Get samples when you can if you have doubts about the scent or price.

Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge (lavender mint) or 88 (dark rose)
Castle Forbes creams - these are price sleepers because you can shave for <10 cents a shave at US prices.
Antica Barbiera Colla cream, buy it from Gifts and Care with the discount code 'B&B'
La Savonnerie du Moulin
La Savinnerie du Bon Bergger (discontinued but still available)
I Coloniali Mango Oil soap and rhubarb cream, both discontinued but the cream is still easy to find. J.E. Atkinson's lavender is the same cream.
Maritn de Candre, esp the fougere
Boellis Panama 1924
L&L Grooming, beware the scents are super intense, I like the unscented.
Acqua di Parma

Mid-line soaps for straight razor users (slick) but usually give up a little something but at a healthy price savings
Pre de Provence
Stirling
Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
Simpsons creams
Provence Sante
AoS creams
Other Truefitt and Hill creams (UC is a little bit better IMO)
La Toja

Some of these are cheap soaps to use in spite of my somewhat artificial categories. From the 'Data Mined' thread, cents per shave range from about 4 cents a shave to well over 30 cents per shave, but IME a typical range is 6-7 cents per shave up to about 35-40 cents a shave. So if 10 cents a shave is the lower third in cost, 10-25 cents is mid-level, and 25 cents and above is the upper third, the follwing would fall in the lower third by cost-per-shave.

Castle Forbes, the best of the lot
Pre de Provence, a true bargain on sale
Stirling, lot of product for a reasonable price.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
LongRifle Soaps, not talked about much but a great tallow soap.
You can get a 3oz tin for $10.00. I have Mikes, L&L,CRSW,etc.
and LongRifle is as good or better.

Top Bottom