What's new

Need Single Edge Razor Advice

Hello all,
The great open comb experiment (Gillette New and Gem MMOC) has been an unmitigated disaster, and I have put the little beggars away until I have the nerve to try them again, if ever. I've returned to my SS black handle and dialed-down Progress. I am, however, still intrigued by single edge shaving. So, considering the MMOC at the top of the aggressiveness scale, can someone please tell me where the Featherweight, Bullet Tip, G Bar, Clog Pruf, and Contour fall? Also is the Micromatic closed comb a separate razor or does it fall under one of the names I just mentioned. Many thanks in advance.
NR

Hello all,
The great open comb experiment (Gillette New and Gem MMOC) has been an unmitigated disaster, and I have put the little beggars away until I have the nerve to try them again, if ever. I've returned to my SS black handle and dialed-down Progress. I am, however, still intrigued by single edge shaving. So, considering the MMOC at the top of the aggressiveness scale, can someone please tell me where the Featherweight, Bullet Tip, G Bar, Clog Pruf, and Contour fall? Also is the Micromatic closed comb a separate razor or does it fall under one of the names I just mentioned. Many thanks in advance.
NR

The Clog pruf is a tick below the MMOC in aggressiveness, and is my favorite of the Micromatic line. All of the others you named have a similar head design, just different shaped handles and weights. The closed comb Micromatic was named the Flying Wing by Gem, but someone nicknamed it the Bullet Tip.

I tried SE's. I really, really wanted to like them; but :thumbdown I have three and they all stink. One day i'll get around to PIFing them.

Thanks guys. Maybe I should just get another SS, leave it at that, and throw water on any embers of incipient RAD.

Don't give up just yet! The Feather Weight and Contour are thought to be the mildest of that list; give them a try. I love all the Gems but your mileage seems to vary; however, most folks here would approach the MMOC with caution, so I don't think that's a fair introduction to SE shaving. Get yourself a 1912 if you can - they are not hard to come by, and they appear in many different 'flavors.' Good luck.

If your technique is good there is no reason to fear any of the Safety Razors. OC, SE's, injectors all give great shaves but each requires knowing the razor and how to tweak your technique to get the most out of it.

P

Pjotr

I tried SE's. I really, really wanted to like them; but :thumbdown I have three and they all stink. One day i'll get around to PIFing them.

Can't blame you, who wants to shave with a stinky razor! If you want to PIF them, the OP's up for it.

P

Pjotr

Thanks guys. Maybe I should just get another SS, leave it at that, and throw water on any embers of incipient RAD.

Don't do that! I just had a bad shave with a Gillette Tech and happily hack away with almost any SE and get better shaves. Go figure. It's all technique, confidence and having your mind on the job. If any of those three aren't there for some reason you'll get a bad shave with anything. Don't douse the flames of incipient RAD, fan them!

What did you use for a blade?

If it was me, I'd let it rest a bit and come back to it sometime. They really do give a good shave.

What did you use for a blade?

If it was me, I'd let it rest a bit and come back to it sometime. They really do give a good shave.

I used a Treet, the kind that rust. Uncoated, I guess. By the way, the closeness of the shaves with both the MMOC and the Gillette New was BBS. The problem was with the razor burn that followed. It was unbelievable, something I don't experience with the Progress or SS. On the other hand, I don't get super close shaves with those two.

Top Bottom