What's new

Need New (To Me) Music

Rock (or rather my kind of rock)i in hiding waiting for the next gen in the typical decade shifts of musical tastes... But it's late. I'm getting bored and need some new stuff to listen to. I'd imagine it's out there, but just not easy to find.

Looking for the high energy exciting stuff... Think fall out lineage from the Stooges. Guitar led stuff that's not overly compressed. If your a fan of the hives your kind of in the sort of music I'm after.

All the new or best of stuff I keep tracking down is slower atmospheric type albums, I like Radiohead as much as the next guy but I want to bust out my air guitar. Blues, punk... Don't matter, as long as it'll get the blood pumping and spin on my record player I'll be happy.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

The Record Company is a very good newer band.
Up on the headphones now.... Got a bit of funk between my ears at the moment. Kind of sounds like a few other blues guys I listen to. Not quite the high energy I'm looking for here, but I like it. You should check out a band Henry's funeral shoe... Odd name I know, but cool none the less. Or the juke joint pimps.

Do you like Zep? I recommend Greta van Fleet.
I thought the one single was okay. Though I do prefer take the long road and walk it, by The Music for Zep like bands lol. Did you know Greta Van fleet said in an interview they like to emulate Aerosmith.. someone told Jimmy Page in an interview.... You could feel his eyes roll

Up on the headphones now.... Got a bit of funk between my ears at the moment. Kind of sounds like a few other blues guys I listen to. Not quite the high energy I'm looking for here, but I like it. You should check out a band Henry's funeral shoe... Odd name I know, but cool none the less. Or the juke joint pimps.

Thanks! I started following them on Spotify.

New to me at least is Ty Segall who's popped up on a couple sampler cd's bundled with British music magazines Uncut or Mojo, (he's American.)

Just grabbed the first google hit, a cover...

'''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''dave

New to me at least is Ty Segall who's popped up on a couple sampler cd's bundled with British music magazines Uncut or Mojo, (he's American.)

Just grabbed the first google hit, a cover...

'''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''dave
Lol he has a cover of low rider that kind of sounds like a cover of Marilyn Manson covering low rider

Some stuff you may know, but some live and some fun. Serious lack of rodents.

Motorhead - Covering "Heroes"/Bowie (Lemmy - guitargod - I miss you)

NIN & Gary Numan - Cars (live and fun happy guitar)

Denzey Curry covering RATM (loud and rocking - no guinea pigs though)

AIC - Would? (tossed in because - well - I miss Layne. Some guitar fun, but lack of guinea pigs.)

Prince covering Radiohead (go to about 6:30 and then he starts cranking it)

Pulp (live version of "Common People") Gets a bit whacky
Pulp - Common People (Reading 2011)

Tosin Abasi - (he's just cool and a freak)
Tosin Abasi (Guitar Clinic) at CosmoFEST 2018 - Cosmo MusicFEST & EXPO

Calpurnia - Cell (young guitar happy)
Calpurnia - Cell (Official Video)

Muse - Butterflies & Hurricanes (some guitar, but Rachmaninov!)
Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes [Live From Wembley Stadium]

There are a lot of newish Surf bands out there now. More like "Instro", which covers Surf, Spy, Horror, Spaghetti Western, Eleki, and Rautalanka.
Bands of interest to check out:
Daikaiju

The Aqua Velvets

The Insect Surfers

The Penetrators (not the punk band of the same name)
They have another tune with the greatest title ever - "Night of the Drunken Cheerleaders".

Laika and the Cosmonauts

...and many more!

Another genre worth checking out is "Desert Blues", out of North Africa.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I thought the one single was okay. Though I do prefer take the long road and walk it, by The Music for Zep like bands lol. Did you know Greta Van fleet said in an interview they like to emulate Aerosmith.. someone told Jimmy Page in an interview.... You could feel his eyes roll
I like Aerosmith, but they should not be mentioned in the same breath as the Zeppelin, unless that sentence is something like “Aerosmith is not in the same league as Led Zeppelin”.

Not knowing where you are, when you went to high school, what's old to you, hard to make recommendations, Canadian exposure?

The Melvins play Toronto house party...

'''''''''
'''''''''dave

Ha! I do not think that Jimmy Page would be throwing stones when it comes to stealing music/style, although I agree that Joe Perry is safe! I thought what Robert Plant had to say about GvF was rather complimentary and spot on. I agree with mightyeskimo, that they are deserving of support. I think they are the best chance of bring rock back as a "popular music" that I have heard in a decade.

Lots of good music in this thread. In every decade there is tons of great music that is virtually unknown.

I kind of like this one
Guitar driven, although it is a long way from the Stooges!

I like Aerosmith, but they should not be mentioned in the same breath as the Zeppelin, unless that sentence is something like “Aerosmith is not in the same league as Led Zeppelin”.

I think James was saying that GvF saying they emulated Aerosmith was absurd, as they do not sound anything like Aerosmith, but they do "bear a resemblence to Zep," and that Jimmy Page took note of said resemblence. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think James was saying that GvF saying they emulated Aerosmith was absurd, as they do not sound anything like Aerosmith, but they do "bear a resemblence to Zep," and that Jimmy Page took note of said resemblence. :)
I have a low opinion of cover bands, especially those who try to cover Zeppelin. Zeppelin had a sound that couldn’t be duplicated, even though bands like Aerosmith, Heart, and Rush, tried (and failed).

Top Bottom