What's new

Need help with folder carrier, but not a full on briefcase?

S

Sam

Been admiring some of the recent posts about briefcases. I have a saddleback cardholder wallet, and am pleased with how well it has aged and it is definitely quality. The briefcases, about $500, seem to be a good price for something that would be so rugged. I am not sure that it is as 'refined" as an Adney Swaine may be, and maybe a different leather or finishing than the Narangassat (sic?) that I have seen posted in the threads.

However, a full on briefcase is probably not what I need at this point. I have one of those soft sided Office Depot satchels that I might carry three times a year. If I think about it, and I don't think it is really pertinent, it has a flap with a plastic pronged closure. One compartment in front is zippered and is smaller, and then there is the middle compartment that has no divider. I dont know that it could fit a Dell Inspiron computer in it, the 15 incher. Handy for when it rains and I have a lot of files but to be honest, I never think to grab it. It has a mini fold up umbrella in it that I have not used in 5 years.

I may have to carry a Rules book to court, and sometimes I do carry about three files that are thick. I have those paper, brown foldout accordion folders that I can cram everything into, but again, I seldom use them.

I am thinking something leather would be nice, a nice chestnut color. A notebook cover seems to thin, but maybe a fullon briefcase would sit for only those days that I have a big case and going to trial.

I don't have any ideas in mind but thought I would ask for suggestions. $100 to $150 is a good initial price range. Ideas? Websites to go to?

I doubt I will be using it for carrying a laptop. Our state courts do not yet have internet based filing, though the local bankruptcy court does. If I got a laptop to carry to court, it would be a 10 inch Acer or an Ipad, something to scan all my files electronically into. However, because of the way court is, you have to have documents to hand to the Court or to a witness and so paper files are not going anywhere soon for the law that I practice.

Maybe even say a notebook cover, with a legal pad holder on one side, then the flap on the other that holds business cards, a couple pens, and behind it, loose leaf papers and then you can place files zippered around it. Pratical at times, but not such a great thing to reach in, pull out a file and file a pleading as unzippered. But those having practical experience can weigh in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently was looking for the same thing. My mom gave me a nice leather briefcase that used to be hers. But I recently got hired at a job the has an extremely casual dress code. Seeing as how I didn't want to carry my formal briefcase, I decided on a messenger.

If you can find a nordstrom rack close to you, it is worth checking out. The one I visited had a range of messengers and briefcases. The best part is being able to check the bag out in person. I ended up with a Ben Sherman charcoal canvas and leather bag for $40.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
http://shopmulholland.com/product.htm?Product=AL118-LAR

proxy.php

http://shopmulholland.com/product.htm?Product=AL116-LAR

proxy.php

S

Sam

Maybe slender, something like those paper accordion type of file folder holders but in leather and with a handle and closure system

Mitchell Leather has an idea but double what I want to spend and I want a handle

Our Document briefcase is perfect for someone who doesn't need the large capacity of our Messenger or Classic briefcases but still appreciates a hand-made classic. Shown here in a rich brown Italian Glazed Leather, the Document case features a large zippered single main compartment (11"x17") with a three-quarter high front pocket. Inside there are pockets for your cell phone and wallet as well as a pen and key holder. The all-leather strap features our comfort shoulder pad made from the same leather as the briefcase.

The price is $499 for in-stock cases. Custom build to order add $50

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom