What's new

Need help with an AutoStrop I found

So I've been wandering around town and finding all kinds of neat stuff in antique stores. To my surprise, all of them had some kind of vintage shaving collection, from straight and safety razors to mugs and mustache cups.

I picked up an AutoStrop with case for a modest $20. Everything is in fair condition, but it all just needs a good cleaning. I've been trying to find stuff on YouTube and B&B, but I can't figure out how to change the dang blade! It came with a blade bank, so there has to be a way to do it. Please help.

It looks like you are half way there in that second pic. Once you have raised the blade up the way you did, you will have to slide it to the left in your picture. That blade looks rusty so be careful.

By the way, that is the model that accepts spineless SE blades. Some folks like to modify the blades first so they fit perfectly, but you really don't have to.

YES!!!!! :thumbup:

It was rusted in place, so when I was pushing on it earlier, it wasn't going anywhere and I was afraid to push any harder in case I broke something or was pushing in the wrong direction. That did the trick, thanks. I just took a thick towel (to protect my fingers) and pushed to the left. it took a sec, but I got it out :001_smile

OK, so next problem: What is the best way to clean this? I scrubbed it with a brush in some hot water and mild dish detergent, but what about the rust? Is CLR fair game on something like this?

Don't forget it takes new Feather SE blades too. They are an exact fit. It seems Feather manufactured Valet razors with the Feather name for many years.

Roger that. I've seen those on Razorbladesandmore. I'd like to pick up a strop, too. Time to camp out on the 'bay.

oh, and drews, Semper Fi. I just got off of active duty in late '09.

On a slightly related note, that Veteran tag you have below your screen name, is that from being an Armed Forces veteran, or a veteran of B&B? Just curious. I'd like to earn one, hehe :biggrin1:

I recently picked up an AutoStrop with a lowball eBay bid.

It looked disgusting:

proxy.php

Valet AutoStrop before pic

But it cleaned up nicely (liquid detergent, Brasso):

proxy.php

Valet AutoStrop after pic

I think this is after the event, as I have the impression you already figured it out, but all the same I'll try and describe how I got the blade in and out - but I can send you a scan of the instruction booklet if you want to print it out. (Mine, by the way is the Model C - from memory.) Holding the razor upright in your hand, you push the small tab press on the right side of the head, which opens the blade holder inside (it's on top on the picture below). Open the head up, and the blade holder folds outward - the blade drops in, and it all folds back in and then clips closed. The most important thing is to then find the small lever underneath the head. You push that down to lock the blade in place. It doesn't look much like a lever as it curves around the back of the head/handle.

More to the point, mine is all brass, so cleaning it was easy. I started off with dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush, and then turned to Brasso and and old T-shirt.

Here's another shot, just because:
proxy.php

Valet AutoStrop with instructions

Congrats on the Autostrop. You don't need the strop if you're going to use the Feather SEs or the Gems (minus the spine)

Goodness, Mr. Buckingham, that's a handsome razor! It cleaned up to that level?! I thought surely you had that re-plated, but wow!

Nice clean up job, it looks great. I think I'll get mine out for tomorrows shave. They are a pretty decent razor once you get past the blade changing hassle.

I've picked up four of these so far (three Valets and one pre-Valet) and they've all cleaned up fabulously. They are quality razors with a steampunkish attractiveness.

Used my Valet model C today. It gave me a DFS bordering on BBS. Certainly worth owning and using. The only thing I dislike is changing blades. I find it overly cumbersome.

Top Bottom