What's new

Need help on GEM razor

Hi

I have been going to antique malls quite a bit now. But I don't know why I thought that blades are not available for GEM razors in the market. Now after reading some threads here it looks like blades for GEM razor are still in production. Am I right? Can some one throw some light on this. Which GEM razor should I buy and from where? And which blades and from where.

GEM blades are available from a number of places including CVS and Walgreens. Plus, you can get PTFE and other blades from Ted Pella and EMS. As far as which razor, that's a matter of personal preference. I suggest you look in the BST for some GEM and other single edge razors. I like the 1912, the EverReady Streamline, the G bar - and just about any other SE razor.

I've not tried my Feather or G-Bar yet, but I like aall the other Gems I've used. It is a different shave, very audible. But BBS is BBS whether you use a SE, DE, or strait.

Look around your local junk shops. Found a Featherweight in great condition yesterday for $0.50. Also a G-Bar for $1.50 a few weeks back.

When you do buy blades, be sure to get them from a shaving supplies vendor, like the places suggested - there are a lot of SE blades of the same form made for DIY/workshop use rather than shaving, and they're really only good enough for scraping paint.

get this
proxy.php
from
proxy.php

they will fit most of these SE's
proxy.php

Now after reading some threads here it looks like blades for GEM razor are still in production. Am I right? Can some one throw some light on this. Which GEM razor should I buy and from where? And which blades and from where.

Look around your local junk shops. Found a Featherweight in great condition yesterday for $0.50. Also a G-Bar for $1.50 a few weeks back.

It's kind of surprising the anyone makes shave-quality blades for razors that haven't been produced in more than 30 years. I imagine that if these blades weren't being used regularly in biology and forensics labs, they'd have gone out of production long ago.

Which Gem? Considering the price of "user condition" gems, hell get them all. Try 'em out and find the one you like, then get a NOS one from ebay for $25.

they will fit most of these SE's
proxy.php

Since that's my photo you snitched, Alex, :wink2: I would point out that the GEM lather catcher there on the right actually doesn't take modern blades. It doesn't have blade stops on the front, just the brackets on the sides to hold a wedge blade in place. All the others, though, from the lather catchers hanging over the back of the case in the center all the way up through the Feather Weight will work with modern SE blades.

Personally, I'd recommend a 1912 as a very good place to start -- simple, good shaver and ridiculously easy to find for next to nothing.

Top Bottom