What's new

Yaqi Remus - Best AC blade option

Prolines are ok. Supers remind me of DE feathers. Kais are ok too. And yes, Schicks are the most balanced. I am inspired actually by this thread. I might buy some milds for my Asylum. It has been that one razor i found hard to tame. Maybe the milds will work well on it!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Prolines are ok. Supers remind me of DE feathers. Kais are ok too. And yes, Schicks are the most balanced. I am inspired actually by this thread. I might buy some milds for my Asylum. It has been that one razor i found hard to tame. Maybe the milds will work well on it!
Feather Proguard or Kai Protouch are perfect for razors with a little bite to them, they help prevent letting edge of the blade dig in the skin and seem to glance off the skin better than a naked edge. I use the Kai protouch in my Shavette and what a difference and my shaves where more enjoyable I concluded with less nicks and weepers.

I have the Romulus and use mainly Kai Protouch MG blades, getting superb shaves.

Also have a Romulus and am getting excellent results with a Feather Pro (no guard). Kai Protouch MG is next on my list to try.

Feather Proguard or Kai Protouch are perfect for razors with a little bite to them, they help prevent letting edge of the blade dig in the skin and seem to glance off the skin better than a naked edge. I use the Kai protouch in my Shavette and what a difference and my shaves where more enjoyable I concluded with less nicks and weepers.
A week into my first use of the Kai Protouch MG, I agree with the observations that it is a terrific when paired with the Romulus. Shave is as good, maybe better, than the Feather Pro without the nicks, or fear thereof.

Ron R

A week into my first use of the Kai Protouch MG, I agree with the observations that it is a terrific when paired with the Romulus. Shave is as good, maybe better, than the Feather Pro without the nicks, or fear thereof.
I would have to agree, I took these photo's a few years back to show the blade close to the skin and design tries to prevent the blade from digging in to skin when using a AC Shavette made my happier attempts better experiences. Protouch touch still shaves close for a DFS++ to BBs with a fresh blade from my experiences using them.
Thought I would show what we are talking about to other folks who might be interested in using them. I have good luck with Kai blades so of coarse I bought the Kai Protouch.
The blade they use is the Kai Titan mild blade encapsulated with a very thin Stainless membrane! Works great when learning with a Shavette how to get started IMO! Feather Proguard uses the Feather pro blade encapsulated in a very thin Stainless steel membrane (wider spacing of serrations on the Proguard I believe).
(Old archived photos showing the kai blade to the skin surface, it was hard taking a picture while holding the blade to my skin I recall :biggrin1:.)
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 3.jpg
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg

YY Kai Protouch guarded AC blade.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I tried the hawk V3 "A". To start, it is made very well, with a high polish. Blade easy to load. No irritation or clogging
The head geometry is much different than the Boti/Shield. The Hawk seems hard to find the right angle, where the Boti/Shield is more straight forward, no learning curve. Saturday for the OC.
The OC Hawk was a pleasant surprise. Much different than the safety bar "A". No difficulty finding the right angle and very smooth. Definitely will get more time in rotation.

Just wanted to add that the Feather proguard indeed managed to make the Asylum RX shave much easier on me. I should give the Titan protouch a try if I can get my hands on it.
Can you use different handles with the Asylum razors? The threading seems short as per the photos I've seen. Could lead compatibility issues.

Can you use different handles with the Asylum razors? The threading seems short as per the photos I've seen. Could lead compatibility issues.
I am happy to report that the Asylum RX V2 SE razor uses standard threading. The razorock handles and also handles from DSCosmetic/Yaqi etc all work well on it (M5x0.8). If there would be any issues, it would be mostly cosmetic, as the base of the Asylum RX is designed to flow smoothly into the flared handle top.

I am happy to report that the Asylum RX V2 SE razor uses standard threading. The razorock handles and also handles from DSCosmetic/Yaqi etc all work well on it (M5x0.8). If there would be any issues, it would be mostly cosmetic, as the base of the Asylum RX is designed to flow smoothly into the flared handle top.
I worded it incorrectly. The length of the threaded piece to reach adequately enough to fit into all handles. I also see what you mean about the diameter of the head pieces verses what handle you try to use could look bad.

I worded it incorrectly. The length of the threaded piece to reach adequately enough to fit into all handles. I also see what you mean about the diameter of the head pieces verses what handle you try to use could look bad.
Just to set your mind at ease, I tried about 6 handles on the Asylum RX, all worked fine :D

Ron R

Hi,

I just got my Yaqi Remus and I put in 2 shaves on it. I know there are similarities to Vector, but that is a discussion for another day.

Now I am a regular R41 user, therefore I decided to put in the Feather AC pro super blade. What am I missing? Where is the sharpness/aggressiveness. What am I doing wrong with this razor/blade. I just find it quite mild.

Anyone has suggestions on some other blade that I should try or on how to use the razor (more pressure??)

Thanks in advance!
I believe you are using the most aggressive blade Feather makes, you must not be shaving ATG because this should work well in the Romulus or Remus AC style razors. If folks are getting a getting a 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.1.jpg or BBS with just using a Feather pro you must be shaving with 1 pass WTG or 1 pass WTG with a quick clean up I'm thinking!
Feather AC blades 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom