What's new

Share your thoughts about the 1924 Shovel head

The Ever-ready 1924 is a nice mid range. It might be a little different razor to use as a newbie off the start, it was a very popular razor 1924-1933 production run, that seems a long time production run and so it was very popular comparing to other Ever-ready models production runs.
It is part of my ASR rotation and at first It is awkward to load a blade because it has the keeper arms inside to retain the old style blades with out the notches that new blades have with a different spring to tension the blade also + the spline was thicker on the older blades.
If a person finds it aggressive all I do is use a shim made from a spent modern blade and put it underneath the modern spline and it seems to smooth out the razor nicely (you do not need to put a shim there if your happy with the results just using a modern blade.)
The results from my typical shaves are very close shaves with no issues with shim and with out shim.
(Some old archived photo's that might help me explain the differences in blades and suggested angle to use.)

(Left) 1950's introduced modern blade we use today + thinnest spline of all , below photo shows of the blade evolution that where used in ASR razors over time.
View attachment 1687725 View attachment 1687726

(L) shows how the shim placed under the new blade smooths out the shave, (R)instructions, click photo to in large)
View attachment 1687729View attachment 1687727

(photo below indicates what happens when shim is added reducing the blade exposure and helps smooth out the shaves)
View attachment 1687732

Have some great shaves!
Ron R, this is useful information for sure. Got the 1924 recently and o boyo... with a Persona blade it is a sweet singing razor... I do want to reduce the blade exposure in the interest of that lazy day when I am not 100% awake... do you still recommend this adjustment and if yes, any updated high resolution pictures of the set up will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Ron R, this is useful information for sure. Got the 1924 recently and o boyo... with a Persona blade it is a sweet singing razor... I do want to reduce the blade exposure in the interest of that lazy day when I am not 100% awake... do you still recommend this adjustment and if yes, any updated high resolution pictures of the set up will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Yes, I just use a spent spline shim flattened carefully and use it. (refer to post #9) You do not have to use a shim but in certain razors pre new blade design with the Aluminum spline it can smooth out the shave a little to my liking. The 1924 with shim works nicely for myself, some fellows use a credit card shim also.
(Rigs shim in a different razor for illustration purposes!)
Eveready spline shimmed for a smoother shave.2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Yes, I just use a spent spline shim flattened carefully and use it. (refer to post #9) You do not have to use a shim but in certain razors pre new blade design with the Aluminum spline it can smooth out the shave a little to my liking. The 1924 with shim works nicely for myself, some fellows use a credit card shim also.
(Rigs shim in a different razor for illustration purposes!)
View attachment 1726526
Have some great shaves!
Appreciate it. That helps clarify.
Will look to report back post weekend homework.
Shave on...

Top Bottom