What's new

Finally got a good shave from a Schick Razor! I used a steep angle/ride the guard!

Hey guys! Ive had 2 schicks for quite a while now but haven't touched them in over two years. I havnt used them because I honestly got some of the worst shaves Ive ever had with them. Now honestly the only thing I changed was the angle in which I shaved with them. The common recommendation that I always read or saw was to keep the razor head almost parallel to the face and bring the handle down till the blade engages. I did that but honestly from such horrible results I never touched them again. However for the past few days ive implemented a "steep" angle/riding the guard on my de shaves with great success. In the past I have always shaved with a shallow angle/riding the cap when shaving. This just always seemed natural to me because in the past I shaved with my fathers razor which was essentially a tech without the guard a "divette" in other words. It just seemed like riding the guard to be more likely to scrape the face rather than effectively cutting the hairs. So I went steep by putting the guard on my face and moved the handle up till the blade was engaged. And hot dang that thing cut smooth with no tugging. Did two cross the grain passes and I was done. Definitely excited to keep using this razor and other Schicks.

I used a Schick Hydro-Magic if anyone is curious with regular Schick injector blades. Ill post a link for the blades.

P.S

Anyone know of some AC blades that perform like the Schick blades I posted in the link? I used Captain Kai mild blades in my Hawk V3 and they are definitely not sharp enough more my course hairs. Thanks!

20231010_172921.jpg

One last thing. I think the way I shaved was definitely how it was intended. Found an old Schick commercial and the man shaving in it is definitely using a steep angle and not having the cap almost parallel to the face.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For AC razors, Schick Proline P-series are sharp, smooth, and long-lasting to me, but they’re kryptonite for others. The Schick Proline B-series is their Injector version.

Congratulations on your improved shave!

I would not use a commercial to show the proper shave angle. I doubt if that razor even had a blade in it.
Yes but if every commercial the men are shaving that way gives a pretty good indicator as to how it's been commonly used. Same goes for de razors. Most if not all shaving manuals/diagrams for Gillette razors show that the guard is supposed to be engaged while shaving as the designers intended. Can't really put much use of the guard if you are rising the cap. Now I'm not saying that riding the cap on razors don't work for people it did okay for me but switching to a steeper angle definitely has improved my shaves. Either way riding the cap on this razor does not work for me.
Screenshot_20231011_194845_Gallery.jpg

Tech-4-Features-Ad.2022-04-05.jpg

notice in that injector ad, the guy went with the grain,, on a pre shaved face
Yes most razor ads I've seen if one pays attention the guy is usually already shaven when the strokes are made. Just saying that the ad is a piece of evidence on how these razors where used.

The Schick injector is the easiest wet shaving tool in existence. Try an E, G or J. Use a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) blade in the yellow package. Smear on your lather and shave, simply shave, intuitively. Don’t think about it. Use pressure or not. Go any which way. You can’t help but get the best shave possible. That’s the beauty of the Schick. No technique needed.

The Schick injector is the easiest wet shaving tool in existence. Try an E, G or J. Use a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) blade in the yellow package. Smear on your lather and shave, simply shave, intuitively. Don’t think about it. Use pressure or not. Go any which way. You can’t help but get the best shave possible. That’s the beauty of the Schick. No technique needed.
Which Schick is the most aggressive? I think I've always heard the E model is the most aggressive/efficient is that true?

Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech​

Happy Birthday, @Jhona1971 ! :happybday: 🍻🎊🎈🥤

Did you use a steep-angled Injector shave to keep cake crumbs from sticking to your whiskers?
Not yet 😆 I'm stepping into the confusing world of DE razors with the various blades,gaps and blade exposure world which is very confusing. Either way thank Sir for the well wishes! I appreciate it much love and may Jesus Christ bless your soul/family to the fullest! ❤️

Top Bottom