What's new

Need Grudge match idea: Modern versus Vintage

How about this?

Gillette is going to release their new Tech in a month or so. Why not compare a vintage Tech fat-handled tech with a new Gillette Tech, when it comes out? (In fact, I'm certain that a few experts here will offer their opinions.)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
DE vs SE
OC vs SB
I asked a YouTube Shaver (cap) to do a Wolfman vs RFB ,he did and said it was very close but picked the WM in the end (he kinda had too )

I know it's not what you asked, but I'd be interested to see a challenge between Gillette techs. I recently did my own grudge match shave between pre-war US and Canadian models - I found the latter to be less smooth, but more efficient.

I realize this is the DE forum, but I'd also be interested for a DE/SE face off. How about a Gillette NEW vs Ever-Ready 1912? (My smoothest, most efficient DE against my smoothest, most efficient SE).

Gem Damaskeene SE razor by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

Back on topic: quite a few people around here have both RR razors and vintage Gillettes, so you could put the pot metal to the test by lining up the RR slant with a Gillette NEW.

Feel the blade - RR 37 slant loaded with Feathers by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

Vintage Gillette NEW razor by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

(I find the slant to be as close a shave as the NEW, but much, much easier to cut myself with.)

How about a FB or Slim v. a Progress?
I've already done one of these, though not in a side-by-side. The trick is dialing them in. A FB @9 does not equal a Progress at 5. Nor does a FB at 5 equal a Progress at 5...
This one's still a good suggestion though.

Old Type thin cap vs. the FaTip.
This is already on my list to try, so I'm up for this one too.

The other one that sounded interesting was the Ikon Deluxe vs. NEW Deluxe. I don't have the Ikon though.

I think it might be difficult to compare two adjustable. If one wins, is it because you adjusted it better or is it because it truly is a better razor?

I find NEW and Pearl OC to shave about the same. They are both afforable.

Then for slants, German 37 vs PAA Bakelite Slant would be two modern variants of vintage design that are both affordable.

A lot of people are missing the point. The point of these great Grudge Match threads is to select razors that the most people have or can associate with. To keep things interesting, the razors should also be somewhat comparable both shave-wise and price-wise. No Yuma vs Wolfmen ;-)

Also, the Gillette NEW and Old Types should not be picked because they're already in this month's Grudge Match.

I don't have many modern razors, so my modern razor choice may not be a good fit, but I'll submit a choice anyway: Gillette Tech or Super Speed vs Merkur 34C or EJ89.

Last edited:
Top Bottom