What's new

Need Grinder / Grind Feedback

I picked up a Baratza Maestro Plus today. I have a few questions regarding grind consistency. I understand that this is an "entry level" grinder at best. I did not purchase for espresso purposes. I am primarily using an Aeropress & French Press. Who knows where I will go next.

Here are a few pictures of grinds with the unit set at 10/20/30. Is this the level of consistency that I should accept from a $100 grinder?

Set at 10/40

proxy.php

Set at 20/40

proxy.php

Set at 30/40

proxy.php

It's kind of hard to tell from the depth of field, but that 10 setting (I'm assuming it's the finest setting), looks a bit coarse for Aeropress. Over all, it's much more consistent than your Hario picture, but that looks more like a French Press grind to me. Can you go finer? You may do some searches for modifications and maintenance as well. Was this grinder new or used?

Well judge for yourself. If the $100 grinder grinds the same, but continues to do so long after my $40 grinder has worn out then I guess its the better value. For French Press/Aeropress or Drip coffee I thinks mine is satisfactory. I toiled over this purchase for a while and bought the $40 one saying if I don't like it I will return it. It was an upgrade from a blade grinder and its still here. I have never used or had an expensive grinder so I have no clue what I may be missing...and I am ok with that too.

$IMG_7619.jpg
$IMG_7620.jpg
$IMG_7621.jpg
$IMG_7622.jpg

The biggest differences between those two grinders will be the amount of fines (the dust that is prone to clog filters or seep through in FP brewing). I'd be willing to bet the Mr. Coffee produces more, but the Maestro will probably produce a fair share as well.

It's kind of hard to tell from the depth of field, but that 10 setting (I'm assuming it's the finest setting), looks a bit coarse for Aeropress. Over all, it's much more consistent than your Hario picture, but that looks more like a French Press grind to me. Can you go finer? You may do some searches for modifications and maintenance as well. Was this grinder new or used?

The grinder has 40 settings. 1 being the finest and 40 being the course-est. The first picture is set at 10. I will do a quick grind with the unit set at 1.

The grinder was "NEW", but when I got home it was clear that it had been used, and there were some fine grinds in the collector and the owners manual was missing.

The grinder has 40 settings. 1 being the finest and 40 being the course-est. The first picture is set at 10. I will do a quick grind with the unit set at 1.

The grinder was "NEW", but when I got home it was clear that it had been used, and there were some fine grinds in the collector and the owners manual was missing.

Interesting. Found it in a store? I wonder if it was a return. For what it's worth, Baratza as a company is VERY good at responding to customers inquiries. Do some tests (I recommend using cheap grocery store beans... cheapest you can find) from 1 to 10. See if you're getting the consistency and particle size you expect. Send your pics to Baratza (and post them here, duh), and ask them for an owner's manual and their input. I don't know if you can control the depth of field with your camera, but having the entire picture in focus makes analysis a bit easier.

Yes my grinder does produce what I consider a fair amount of dust but the way it exits the burrs its fairly easy to keep most from being used if so desired. My next grinder will be a low speed unit. It was right at Christmas when I bought this so I had other priorities.

Try that level 3 setting in the AP, and see how it goes. It may still be a little coarse, but only experimentation will tell for sure. If that's too coarse, start looking for mods, or contacting Baratza... That machine should have no problem getting a bit finer.

I just completely disassembled and cleaned. I also contacted Baratza. I then did a quick hand grind with the Hario and compared it to the #3 setting on the Maestro. No comparison at all. Much finer and more consistent.

I think now I may upgrade washer in the Hario and use that more for course grinds.

Good deal! Good luck! (Btw... went and bought a Chemex during my lunch break)!

When can we expect a review of the Chemex?

I need to buy "something" to brew more than one cup at a time.....

1. Espresso Press
2. Chemex
3. Toddy are all on my list

The question is "What order?"

Top Bottom