What's new

need an American whiskey recommendation. from a scotch drinker.

I've only had experience with Jim Bean, way back in college. Interested in venturing into some good ol Americana whiskey. Any suggestions? I enjoy usually scotch. J&B, chivas, cuty sark, johnnie walker blk.

If you like the Scotch then Bourbon should be a good transition. My favorite for middle of the road is Elijah Craig - 12 is great, 18 is awesome. There are a number of very decent ones out there.

There are many good bourbons out there without breaking a bank. Woodford Reserve is good for around $30. Some say Corner Creek for $20 is best bang for the buck.

Given that you are partial to smooth blended scotches I would suggest you start with a "wheated" bourbon (more wheat than rye in the mashbill). Any of the following would do: Maker's Mark (particularly Maker's 46 if you can find it), Old Fitzgerald (try to find an older bottling), or any of the WL Weller bottlings (again, try to find older). Generally wheaters are a bit softer and smoother than bourbons heavier on rye.

I usually dont do American anything when it comes to beer or liquor, but I think "Gentleman Jack" is pretty good.
Last month I went to the JD distillery and found out that Gentleman Jack is just regular #7 that has been filtered an extra time. If you have an extra brita filter, you can, in theory, make your own GD from a bottle of #7!

Last month I went to the JD distillery and found out that Gentleman Jack is just regular #7 that has been filtered an extra time. If you have an extra brita filter, you can, in theory, make your own GD from a bottle of #7!

Now that's a clever... I wonder if a household experiment would truly make no. 7 taste like Gentleman Jack.

Found this article from 1988 that validates your statement...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...10952_1_porter-whiskey-jack-daniel-distillery

Giving your past with blended Scotch, I'd start inexpensive and try Jim Beam Black or W.L. Weller Antique, both excellent buys. Four Roses Yellow lable is also softer.

If you want to go up a notch in quality and price, try Four Roses Single Barrel or Makers 46.

There are plenty of other bourbons but the ones I mentioned strike me as being good crossovers from Scotch because they are not as fiery and rye driven as other bourbons. At least in the USA, spending $40 can get you an amazing bourbon like the two more expensive ones I mentioned or even Elijah Craig 18 whereas it gets you not nearly as much in terms of Scotch.

By "American", do you mean bourbon? If so, I can second Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve (a slightly more pricey alternative). Both fine examples of Kentucky made bourbon.

My go to is a Canadian blended whiskey...Crown Royal. Nothing fancy and more rye based but damn, it's like the whiskey gods came down and poured me a tumbler of sweet, sweet nectar every time I drink it.

If you're looking for a Tennessee Whisky I would pick George Dickel every time over Mr. Daniels. I believe there are three varieties and I haven't had a bad drink from any of them. They're all quite smooth drinking (as the Tennessee Whisky style tends to be), so they'll get along nicely with your tastes as listed above.

I'm not usually a bourbon drinker (I mostly enjoy scotch if I'm having something other than beer), but I do enjoy a glass of Woodford Reserve from time to time.

Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark are great starting points, from there its easy to branch out and use those as baselines.

Nothing wrong with standard Jack Daniels, if you ask me.... I like to avoid as much filtration as possible in whisk(e)y. If you have to strain bits out with your moustache, much the better.

Four 'I enjoy's were listed : Chivas (I'm assuming 12YO) and JW Black label - both quite full bodied, which would compare well with something like the Woodford Reserve, or Jim Beam black. Or, for that matter, Jack Daniels. Knob Creek, neat, would work here too.

You also listed J+B and Cutty Sark - both much lighter. They'd compare well with Makers' mark. You could also include Knob Creek, assuming you add a little ice to it, and probably just a tiny amount (maybe a teaspoon in a large measure) of water. Neat it's quite 'burny' (to use a highly technical expression), but add a little water, and it immediately loses the burn, and the flavours change completely. And it comes at 50%ABV, so it can stand a little water.

It is my humble opinion that the best whiskey made comes out of Kentucky USA.

Most of you know my preferences. Woodford Reserve is my go to, while Pappy 20 yr is my top shelf Bourbons.
But, I will concede that you guys have got me really liking aged Single malt scotch. My problem with scotch in the past was that I seemed to always buy a blended scotch and just did not care for it. But good aged Single Malt has completely changed my mind. Very smooth stuff going down but I don't get the nose or finish that a Grand aged Top Shelf 'Kaintucky' Bourbon has.

I am a sipper, just a glass and a bottle, but in my younger skirt chasing days, I really liked that Tennessee sour mash AKA Jack Daniels and usually 1/2 and 1/2 with Coke (a Cola)...

Last edited:
+1 on Woodford Reserve.

I am mainly a scotch drinker and find Bourbon to be be a bit sweeter and more "gruff", but I have Woodford in the cabinet and enjoy having it in the rotation.

...and usually 1/2 and 1/2 with Coke (a Cola)...

Nice qualifier! :biggrin:

Plenty of good advice in this thread. I keep a bottle of VW 12yo Lot B for special occasions, but there are some really good bourbons that won't break the bank.

Black Maple Hill ~$45 - My favorite of the readily available in this price range
Willett Single Barrel Estate Reserve ~$35 - Hate the bottle, love the whiskey
Evan Williams Single Barrel ~$26 - Really good whiskey at this price point
Weller's 12yo ~$20 - Nice expression of a wheated bourbon at a good price

If you decide to try a rye, I recommend

Rittenhouse BIB ~$19 - I always keeps some on hand; just a great value
Templeton Rye ~$45 - My favorite, but the priciest
Russell's Reserve 6yo ~$35 - Almost as good as the Templeton

I am not a big wiskey drinker, but I like George Dickel, a Tennessee wiskey. The George Dickel barrel select is supposed to be really good (aged 10+ years).

Top Bottom