What's new

Need a Third Boar...

I was under the impression that a synthetic boar-like bristle exists, but I guess not.

The Omega S series is a boar-like synthetic.? The model S 10018. Here is a description from an ad:
The S-BRUSH series are made from high quality, high performance synthetic fiber hair.

Last edited:
I have an s-brush, didn't realize they were referring to the knot from one.

@Shavist The tips don't split, but start extremely soft. The backbone is similar to a boar. The splay is unique to s-brushes. If you want a synthetic that feels most like a boar, it is the one. If recommending categories of brushes for people to try to experience brushes, it would be its own category. Boars, Horse, Two-band badgers, synthetics, nylon, s-brushes, other badgers, mixes.

I have an s-brush, didn't realize they were referring to the knot from one.
@Shavist The splay is unique to s-brushes. If you want a synthetic that feels most like a boar, it is the one.

It's a nice looking brush for the money.

Omega-S.jpg

I have an S-Brush I use for travel and love it. At first it felt like the loft was a little long, but when you splay it the feel is very boar like.

My Semogue 830 is about 4 years old and was my only brush for most of that time. Its extremely soft. I think the brush was almost perfect when it was still relatively new. I still think its a great brush but has gotten too soft for face lathering, at least for my taste. I'm still going to use it and its my first brush but right now I'm really liking the 620 I bought for that excellent backbone and face lathering but I'm back to that initial Semogue break-in where it eats some lather after I do the first pass.

I have an Omega boar and need to ask about your success in de-stinking them and what is used for this? Had it for months and while it's not very strong, it still smells like a wet dog. It took time and use along with dry brushing my hands (in an attempt to split the ends), that it's good to use. Patience. I didn't like mine when it was new but folks here said use it; give it time. This leads to a question for everyone: Does the synthetic boars split at the end and behave the same as natural? I'm thinking about trying one.

I recently bought an Omega 10066 and it stunk initially compared to the Semogues I've used. Once I defunked it everything was fine. I soaked it in warm water for an hour, washed it with Kelco Filthy Animal shampoo and rinsed it a few times, the last time I left the Kelco shampoo in and let it sit for a few hours then thoroughly rinsed it out with warm water. Then I put the brush in a bowl of cold water in the fridge to soak for 24 hours....the next day I built up a lather with Arko and left it in to dry over night then rinsed well and let it dry. No more stink.

Kelco Filthy animal is a pet/livestock shampoo. I wash my dog once or twice a year and the stuff gets him clean and odor free so I figured it should work on a boar brush and I think it works great.

Filthy animal is a 50:1 ultra high concentrate shampoo that does not contain soap or detergent. Since filthy animal is safe to use on flea & tick bites it is a must for summer season! Filthy animal is made with natural oils, herbs and extracts. Filthy animal also gets rid of bad body odor and cleans all dirt and filth off the skin and coat without drying the skin or coat. Filthy animal gets skunk, tar, sap, and food stains out of the coat and is safe for dogs, cats, horses, puppies, kittens, ferrets & farm animals.

Hang on to your money and let the two boars that you have now fully break in. It will take about a month of daily shaves for the hairs to fully split and soften up. If you want a brush that's soft with good backbone try the Tuxedo Synthetic that Stirling Soap Company sells.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
+1

The Omega S series is a boar-like synthetic.? The model S 10018. Here is a description from an ad:
The S-BRUSH series are made from high quality, high performance synthetic fiber hair.

This was my first shaving brush. It's nothing like the boars I bought afterwards. It's so soft and floppy I could feel the glue bump. The face feel is vastly inferior to any of my 5 omega boars.

Obviously, being new at that time I didn't know any better because any brush is still better than using your own hands.

In fact, I even have the boar version of this and it's like a million times better. Same handle but totally different feel.

The omega S brushes are highly NOT recommended by me.

If you like longer handled brushes I suggest getting the omega 10018/19 (boar version without the "S"). The handle is the most comfortable one I have and this is easily my favourite boar.

Another one is the beehive 10810.

I was an exclusive boar brush user for 5 years and have experienced the majority of boar knot types out there.

I sold them off when I switched to synthetics but I did keep the semogue 1800 and omega 11775 as these two were always my all time favorite boar brushes.
I do have a zenith boar which sheds a little and am omega 10065, which is also pretty good but the 11775 is more luxurious.

My vote would be for the semogue 1800.

I'm not good with the model numbers, but I would mess about with significantly different sizes. I find myself gravitating to the smaller brushes and in the past couple of weeks have been reaching for the Bambino. I've also got the bigger Omega's (barber handled and the chrome handled) which I enjoy too. What I like about boar is that the price makes that kind of experimentation affordable. I couldn't do that with Badger. I'm down to two badgers in the rotation: a wee scot and a Plisson size 8 in white mountain badger. Most of the time I use the boar brushes.

I had an 830 that also got too softly floppy for face lathering and the knot got loose in the handle. I gave it away to a new shaver. I've still got a 1250 that has a great handle, and an ok to me knot, but I much prefer my SOC. it's got a density and backbone with soft tips and splay that 6-7 years on is still unbeatable for a boar. I've transitioned away from my Wee Scott to an Omega Mixed Midget as my travel brush that gets the most use on the road. I also have a whipped Dog 20mm silvertip that's in my big travel bag. I just don't do long trips much anymore, so it's a 3-1-1 carry on sized dopp for me most trips.

the only other Omega I have experience with is the B&B. hated the handle, and probably didn't have the knot fully broken in when I sold it. I have no experience with Zeniths. I hated the prickliness of horse, but they perform similarly to boar otherwise. didn't like the synth I tried as much as natural brushes. most of my shaves are with badger brushes.

If you have your heart set on another boar, I do likes my Omega 10086, a travel brush with an 18 mm by 42 mm knot. :thumbup1:

I have a Semogue 620 too, and mostly like it for the handle.

I did not have to de-stinkify either of them.

My first Zenith boar brush is arriving today. Many people who have and use them claim they are superior to both omega and semogue. I haven't used received or used mine yet so I cannot speak to that "claim" but I can say that I am very excited as I've heard lots of great things about zenith brushes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Semogue 1800. It's the only boar brush I have, and it's splendid. The dyed banding is a little silly, but it doesn't impact performance. The wood handle is just the right shape, size and weight. I've found that a couple soakings with shampoo can de-funk any brush that I've bought.

I am really enjoying the Stirling Boar Brush recently. It has a bigger knot and loft than Omega 10066 and it has a bit of a scrub to it. However, after breaking it in, it's such a pleasure to use every time and I am in love with it. It very affordable and does not hurt to try out. The bristles are a bit unkempt so it does look a bit off but the feel is very nice regardless.

You might want to have a look at the Krokos brush from Abbate y la Mantia! Many say it’s the best boar brush you can get. Will get it myself soon..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Top Bottom