What's new

Need a Third Boar...

Hello Everyone,

I currently use 2 boar brushes in my rotation and am looking for a third. They are a Semogue 620
and Omega 10066. These brushes have only been in use for a couple of weeks. I de-stink and soak them in cold water a couple of days to help get the ends splitting. So far the Semogue has been more stubborn than the Omega but honestly, they don't feel rough on my face. I'm excited to see how soft they get over time since I've only been wet shaving for a month now. I'd like to add 1 more brush for variety and to give each brush a little more time to dry between shaves.

My first boar was a 10049 and as much as I enjoyed using it, it was much too big for face-lathering and ate lots of soap. For a large person who does 3 passes of their face and head this is a killer brush. I just do 2 passes and touch-ups (and no head) so don't need anything humongous. I'm also frugal, hence my handle!

Semogue 620: This brush loads soap very quickly and feels very even on the face. The handle is a bit short though. I'm not in love with this brush because it's harder to paint with compared to the Omega. I usually lather in circles on my cheeks to get the lather nice and slick/creamy then go to the edges to grab said lather and redistribute. The fan shape of this brush makes that a bit more difficult. Not a deal breaker, just providing information.

Omega 10066: This brush has a very different feel compared to the 620. The shape is very different and is both easy to face-lather and paint as well. It seems to load soap a smidge slower but that's not a big deal. I feel like I'm more in-control with this brush. I also like the height and shape of the handle. The only negative is the weight of the handle, it's plastic and very light and not substantial but it was $9! Great brush for sure!

So honestly, I don't know which brush to consider next. I've read through all the boar threads and a few have piqued my interest that might fit my lineup for variety. I'm looking to keep it under $25. They are:

Semogue 830
Omega 11126

Any thoughts are appreciated!

fullsizeoutput_64a.jpeg

Hang on to your money and let the two boars that you have now fully break in. It will take about a month of daily shaves for the hairs to fully split and soften up. If you want a brush that's soft with good backbone try the Tuxedo Synthetic that Stirling Soap Company sells.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

I have an Omega boar and need to ask about your success in de-stinking them and what is used for this? Had it for months and while it's not very strong, it still smells like a wet dog. It took time and use along with dry brushing my hands (in an attempt to split the ends), that it's good to use. Patience. I didn't like mine when it was new but folks here said use it; give it time. This leads to a question for everyone: Does the synthetic boars split at the end and behave the same as natural? I'm thinking about trying one.

I own an 830, 100066, and 100049 and I'm a die hard boar fan for life. However there is 2 more I'm thinking bout adding to the den, first is the Owners Club boar, and a good old 48 pro... So curious...

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

So far the Semogue has been more stubborn than the Omega but honestly, they don't feel rough on my face. I'm excited to see how soft they get over time since I've only been wet shaving for a month now. I'd like to add 1 more brush for variety and to give each brush a little more time to dry between shaves.
Give it a little longer and they should soften nicely after ~ 30 shaves. Looks like the Semogue 620 is getting there. The Semogue 820 looks a better choice for you at 22mm knot x 47mm base but the 830 is only 23mm knot x 47mm base so not a lot of difference. The Semogue 1800 has a 22mm knot x 57mm base so better if you are looking for a longer handle.

I have the same 2 brushes and are mostly used in my rotation. The Semogue took at least 3-4 months for me to get a nice soft feel. I’d say that it’s still getting there as the tips did not completely split yet.

The omega 10065 has the split ends but it’s completely different from the Semogue.

The Semogue has a beautiful splay while the omega doesn’t.

I prefer the omega handle than the Semogue.

Semogue is extremely soft while the omega is still more stiff. I’ve had the Semogue way longer than the omega though.

One boar I’ve been keeping my eye on is the whipped dog boar, won’t be purchasing that for a while but I’m still curious since I bought a high mountain badger from whipped dog and it’s a great brush.

I am curious what others suggest and what you add to your rotation.

Hang on to your money and let the two boars that you have now fully break in. It will take about a month of daily shaves for the hairs to fully split and soften up.

+1! Too soon to determine whether either/both of your current brushes best suits your ‘needs.’

I ageee with the everyone saying to hold out and keep breaking in your brushes but I’m still going to recommend the Omega pro 10108 it’s like a pro 49 with a shorter loft. Great brush.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Try a wood handled Semogue 1470. Mine turned into my favorite boar brush, must be the white best 90% tops hair and a fairly short loft ... none of that silly dye. Plus it's super economical!

full

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Go for whatever size intrigues you, but I do agree that you may just want to hold out and see what happens with the brushes you have.

I'll tell you this, though: soaking for a couple days is gross overkill. Hairs split from use and drying, not from soaking. You're much better off soaking your brush for only about 5 minutes or so and then letting it dry for a couple of days. It's even better if you lather up and use it.

Get a bowl, any bowl you can hold in the palm of your hand will work fine. Add soap and water and get after those brushes like you mean it. Play with water to soap ratios until you get the lather you like, work that into your beard. Rinse, dry, repeat. You have my permission to bowl lather, it's not a sin.

Connaught sells a Jade handle Premium Boar by Omega which is nice. The Semogue 610 is a great brush, also. Zenith sells good boars, too.

However...I too suggest waiting. Give your current ones more time.

If you have only tried boars, I would recommend trying a synthetic. I prefer boars, but I know that because I have tried all the other types (not mixed). If you don't mind paying for shipping and using used brushes. The synthetic brush pass-around at the top of this forum is a way to sample a large variety of synthetics available.

I have an Omega boar and need to ask about your success in de-stinking them and what is used for this? Had it for months and while it's not very strong, it still smells like a wet dog. It took time and use along with dry brushing my hands (in an attempt to split the ends), that it's good to use. Patience. I didn't like mine when it was new but folks here said use it; give it time. This leads to a question for everyone: Does the synthetic boars split at the end and behave the same as natural? I'm thinking about trying one.
Not sure what you mean by synthetic boars.

A little more than $25 but the Semogue Owners Club boar is probably one of the very best at $45. And... I just got an email from Bull Goose Shaving, thay are on sale for 15% off with code Brush15, so that makes them.... give me a second... $38.25 [emoji16]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I had the Semogue 830. It soon became too floppy for my tastes.
The Omega 11126 is a nice brush with a lovely wooden handle. But I tend to dislike banded boars, they just don't look "right" to me

At $20 I like the Zenith 205 with wooden (Wenghe) handle. It looks great to my eyes and Zenith makes great boar knots (I like them more than Semogue and Omega). This measures 24X48, great backbone coupled with Zenith popular soft tips.
proxy.php

Try a wood handled Semogue 1470. Mine turned into my favorite boar brush, must be the white best 90% tops hair and a fairly short loft ... none of that silly dye. Plus it's super economical!

full

I had the Semogue 830. It soon became too floppy for my tastes.
The Omega 11126 is a nice brush with a lovely wooden handle. But I tend to dislike banded boars, they just don't look "right" to me

At $20 I like the Zenith 205 with wooden (Wenghe) handle. It looks great to my eyes and Zenith makes great boar knots (I like them more than Semogue and Omega). This measures 24X48, great backbone coupled with Zenith popular soft tips.
proxy.php

+1 to both of these.

Maggard is a good site to quickly compare Omega and Semogue specs. The Gentle Shave is a good site for Zenith with inexpensive shipping. The Superior Shave sells a couple inexpensive German no-label boars and ships for free.

I like all my boars. Semogue 1250 and Omega 10005 are a couple inexpensive favorites I didn’t see mentioned here.

Top Bottom