What's new

Natural fabrics

As with most people, I suppose, an increasing proportion of my clothing has been made from synthetic materials, at least until the last year or so. This was particularly true of my hiking and walking gear, although I've always liked Darn Tough and Smartwool socks, and Smartwool merino wool base layers.
Around a year ago, however, I came across a Swanndri wool shirt, made in New Zealand, which I bought about 40 years ago, and a Le Tricoteur Guernsey wool jumper of similar vintage, which was considered cheap workwear when I got it. Unfortunately, the jumper seemed inexplicably to have shrunk a bit, but the shirt still fitted.
The Swanndri proved to be really comfortanle when worn over a Smartwool top, maintaining a comfortable body temperature in a wide range of conditions, offering some level of wind and water resistance and, above all, not having that slightly clammy artificial feel of fleece jackets etc. I was so impressed I went on to buy a pre-owned Pendleton wool shirt, made in the USA; a wool jumper made in Scotland (I would love another Le Tricoteur jumper, but they're very expensive these days and have to be ordered online); and a hooded jacket made from a double layer of a material called ventile. This last is a very densely woven cotton fabric developed in the Second World War for immersion suits for airmen downed over the sea.
This combination really works for me when outdoors in UK conditions (typically cool, damp and windy) and I've just added a Stormy Kromer five-button vest to the collection. I've not used it yet, but it feels very well made and fits nicely, so I belive it will work well.
So, does anybody else prefer natural fabrics to synthetic ones, and what works for you when working or walking outdoors? I would be particularly interested in recommendation for legwaer, which I haven't quite figured out yet.

I've been transitioning all my clothes to natural - or mostly natural - fibers over the last year or so. They feel better on my skin and look better. When I go hiking/backpacking in cold weather I usually wear merino wool leggings with shorts over them.

I tend to deal with hot and sweaty way more than chilly/cold. I’ve been pretty happy with ice breaker wool tshirts replacing cotton. I’ll still do synth running/hiking shorts, and like synth blended long sleeved, vented fishing shirts for pockets and sun protection. Cotton or cotton blend (not stretchy) vented pants for real hot, or canvas duck pants, preferably with a Gusseted crotch for flexibility. Linen for “dress up” casual. Tropical weight wool suits, no searsucker. I rarely wear suits anyway.

I prefer wool layers (base minimum) for chilly. I have a good Scandinavian wool/polypro mid layer that’s impressively durable. No cotton on skin in any kinda cool/cold. I’d like a quality Pea Coat, but can’t really justify the days of wear per year.

All my socks are wool.

Top Bottom