What's new

Naniwa 1k?

I've been using a DMT 1200 for bevel setting along with a 600 when it's real bad but I've been looking to try a Naniwa 1k stone.

Anyone fans of the 1k? Should I switch from the DMT or just have options?

You should clarify wich one of the Naniwa 1k´s you are talking about:
The Superstone, the Chosera, the homestone, or the Micronba??

The last one is none of my favourites. It´s a quite old stone.
The Homestone is a kombination stone of 1k and 3k,
but differ from the superstone. They are *allright* but very cheap.

I have had the Choesera and Superstone 1k and can comment on both.
I was very happy with the Superstone 1k. It cuts fast and delivers a nice polish
with very consistant and shallow scratches.
Absolutely nothing to complain about.

I sold it because I got the Chosera 1k.
It´s better for other knifes than razors.
It cuts equally as fast and delivers a nice polish as well.
I personally like the feel of the Chosera even more. It feels more velvety and smooth.
But that´s only personal preference.
The Superstone 1k is very good

I was looking into the Superstones but is the extra money worth to go to the Chosera?

You should clarify wich one of the Naniwa 1k´s you are talking about:
The Superstone, the Chosera, the homestone, or the Micronba??

The last one is none of my favourites. It´s a quite old stone.
The Homestone is a kombination stone of 1k and 3k,
but differ from the superstone. They are *allright* but very cheap.

I have had the Choesera and Superstone 1k and can comment on both.
I was very happy with the Superstone 1k. It cuts fast and delivers a nice polish
with very consistant and shallow scratches.
Absolutely nothing to complain about.

I sold it because I got the Chosera 1k.
It´s better for other knifes than razors.
It cuts equally as fast and delivers a nice polish as well.
I personally like the feel of the Chosera even more. It feels more velvety and smooth.
But that´s only personal preference.
The Superstone 1k is very good

But for its constant love of lapping, I've nothing bad to say about 1k Super Stone. Use it 90% of the time to hone razors, which I do on a nearly-daily basis. The other 10% of the time I'll go for the DMT 1200.

That 10mm of depth on the Super Stones lasts pretty long, too.

Used to use DMT D8C to give it a fresh lapping between blades, but now use the 10x4" coarse/x-coarse DuoSharp and for my purposes it is worth the cost.

The only other Naniwa I've used is the Chosera, and I don't think it was as good for straights.

If I could only have 1 between the Naniwa and the DMT, I'd take the Naniwa every time. Some blades, often those old Sheffields, simply take much, much longer to bevel with the softer Naniwas.

Awesome thread. I have been on the fence for a Nani 1k for a while - now I have to own one :thumbup1:

Unlike LessLemming, I can only comment on the naniwa superstone.
It's by current bevel setter. Before that, I used a DMT 1200 grit that did the job, but I prefer the naniwa. It cuts faster, it's wide, perfect for straight razors.

Awesome thread. I have been on the fence for a Nani 1k for a while - now I have to own one :thumbup1:

Ditto. My DMT1200 has been great, took a while to "break in" though. Interesting enough I was going to look into getting the 1K but couldn't find a vendor (SRD, Vintage, Classic, Superior) that has the 1k. The lowest is a 2k or 3K:blink::blink:

I have had a couple of 1K hones. Invariably, I use them for a while and decide the DMT 1.2K does the job better. I think I prefer the DMT because it is so hard.

Ditto. My DMT1200 has been great, took a while to "break in" though. Interesting enough I was going to look into getting the 1K but couldn't find a vendor (SRD, Vintage, Classic, Superior) that has the 1k. The lowest is a 2k or 3K:blink::blink:

I believe that SRD is simply out of stock of the 1k Super Stones at the moment, which is why it isn't showing up on their site. I haven't emailed Lynn or Don to confirm, but it was listed a few weeks ago.

If you really can't wait sharpeningsupplies has the 1k Super Stone (10mm thick w/ base) and chefknifestogo has the 1k Super Stone (20mm thick w/o base) and the 1k Chosera. Note: I have not used either of these vendors, so this isn't a PSA for these vendors - they just happen to have nani 1k's in stock.

For those of you who are setting bevels with the 1k naniwa - what stone is next in your progression?

I go 600 DMT to set the bevel then remove those scratches on a 1k nani

I stopped using my 600 after I had a couple of Sheffield and it made some deep scratches. But then again a few mentioned it's the Sheffield steel.

I really like the SuperStone 1k - I like the smooth feel of the SuperStones. If you prefer a harder stone, the Chosera's are harder.

For my own bevel setter, I use a Norton 1k. It is more aggressive than the Naniwa, which is good for me because I do a lot of wedges.

To further comment on the Chosera 1k:

The Chosera 1k has several advantages. It is thicker, harder and has more abrasvie in it.
So I tend to believe it cuts a bit more faster than the SS1k.
I once slurried the C1k with the Nagura that comes with it.
This way, I earased scratch marks left from a 300 diamond stone in no time.
Slurried, it cuts like a 400 stone and really does some work on a bevel

unslurried it cuts like a fast 1.000 and leaves a nice finish.
I follow the C1k with the Chosera 5k. It erases the 1k marks in no time.
But unfortunately the 5k leaves scratches himself wich the Naniwa Super 8.000
is not capable of erasing. Even though the edge is superb...
But that´s a different story

The price difference between the Chosera 1k and Superstone 1k in 20mm
was 37€ C1k against 29€ Superstone.
I personally like the C1k more. But it is in no essential way better than the superstone.
Both stones are great

Top Bottom