What's new

Name your top 3 splashes (and why)

A year or so ago Musgo, Proraso, and Aqua Velva would most likely be the most common answers. Since then, there seems to be more choice of splashes as products have been (re)discovered and more readily available. As I am not a splash person, but want to try some more, I can only list the mere three I have tried:

1. Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Very effective for burn. I'm have to be in the mood for the scent so it doesn't get much face time.
  2. Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel w/ Aloe. Light and just enough aloe to sooth and seal a bit. I sometimes use it alone in warmer weather and as a precursor to a balm in the colder, drier months.
  3. Floris Santal. Effective and felt nice, but scent was overpowering for me even after a couple of hours.

What do you think are the three best splashes, and why?

I haven't tried too many splashes...but the very best I've tried are:

1. Musgo real
2. Speick
3. Good old pinaud clubman

I am hooked, really hooked on mentholated aftershaves. Hence, each one below is mentholated and listed in order of apparent strength. I typically use an ASB after the AS, so healing qualities are not the foremost attributes I seek in an AS.

1. Osage Rub (made my eyes water the first time I used it :biggrin: !).
2. Spainish Floid (Vigaroso). Huge menthol blast, very pleasant smell.
3. Alt-Innsbruk. Very unique scent. Plays well with the smokey/leathery EdTs I like this time of year.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
1. Musgo Real
2. D. R. Harris sandalwood
3. Speick

No explaination required.

Hmmm...

1. Musgo Real-Just read the current thread. It is hands down the best splash I have ever used.
2. D R Harris Pink-The fragrance alone keeps it in my top 3.
3. This is tough...it could go to D R Harris Sandalwood, L'Occitane Cade Splash or Provence Sante Green Tea Splash. I think though, I will give it to AV. The stuff works great, and for $5?

At the moment and in no particular order...

Tabac - Because I just love all things Tabac
DR Harris Sandalwood - Nice tangy scent and good skin conditioning
Speick - Soothing with a good scent. Light enough not to interfere with cologne.

I do have Alt Innsbruck and Swiss Pitralon on the way and I still need to buy Musgo Rael Classic, so we'll see if this changes.

Jordan

Don't have many (by comparison to some :wink: ), but my 3 most used are:

1. Musgo Real
2. D. R. Harris Marlborough
3. L'Occitane Cade*

* Not used much in the summer here in Hotlanta......substitute Proraso here..

1.- Spanish Floid: Nice old, barbershop scent, great menthol bomb.
2.- Aqua Velva: Nice scent, icy feeling.
3.- D.R. Harris Sandalwood: Unique sandalwood smell, plus moisturizing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'll put in a plug for TOBS Victorian Limes ... great scent when I want to feel all limed up!

M

modern man

Velva (need I say more)
Floid (see Emilio's post)
Alt Innsbruck (Menthol and Tobacco, what is not to love)

HM, Swiss Pitralon, Masters Bay Rum, Osage Rub, and Pinaud Clubman.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Santa Maria Novella Lavender - I really like the scent. It is not over powering and doesn't make me nauseous like some. It also feels very nice.

I don't think I have a 2 or 3. Everything else I have tried is either tied for 2&3 or just plain junk.

Numero Uno: Provence Sante - Little to no burn, has more glycerin than Speick, but not as much as Musgo Real. I really love both scents.

Tie for Dos y Tres: Speick and Musgo. Gringo!

1. Booster Aquarius - Love the scent!
2. Aqua Velva - Like how it feels on the skin.
3. Pinaud Bay Rum - I'll take the pain of the burn for the pleasure of the wonderful full bodied bay rum aroma

Musgo Real - The best splash there is. Great scent, immensely effective with razor burn, feels great, very low alcohol burn. This is the best aftershave I've ever used hands down. It would be perfect if it had a touch of menthol, unfortunately you can't have it all, but this is as close as it gets.

Floris Santal - Not quite as effective as Musgo Real, but still great quality. Scent is fantastic.

Tie: Proraso Splash/Aqua Velva - Good menthol, effective with razor burn. I like the Proraso Scent, but AV takes some getting used to, but it grows on you.

Honorable Mention: CADE - It lost points because of a substantial burn and it isn't as effective as the others.

1. Musgo Real
  2. Aqua Velva
  3. Royall Lotions (Lyme, Bay Rhum, Mandarine, Musk scents) or TBD - I need to get some more Harris Sandalwood as that would be a top contender to knock out Royall. Also on my hit list are Proraso, Floris, Spieck and some of the other ones people generally rave about.

Top Bottom