What's new

Name & Date these GEM Razors

Can one of you GEM experts name & date these 2 razors I recently received?
name & date 2.jpg
name & date.jpg

Yes, the first is a Contour II, 1973-1979
The second is a Feather Weight, actually it was introduced in the US in 1950
1950_U2...Man of the Future 10Sept50.jpg
This is a special Sunday advertisement dating 10 Sept. 1950

Both are smooth gentle shavers, congrats for your new razors!

Last edited:
BTW, I believe @mata_66 was a big part of the chart I posted. Cheers to all who put this together for us.

Yes, Jill, I should have congratulated you on your new GEM razors. One of my favorite in the all chrome version we now call the G Bar (1955) but in the day was referred to as the flat top or heavy flat top. Sometimes I get mixed up and say flat bottom as in the Gillette Raised Flat Bottom. Hard for a new guy to get it straight. :a29:

Leaving alone the early lather-catchers, I simplify Gems in three families, each family, besides using the same blade, shaves quite distinctly one from the other:
- 1912 head (1911-1949)
- Micromatics (1930-1950)
- Flat Top head (1950-1979)
This latter family includes the Feather Weight, The G-Bar, the Push Button and the Contour. They are often undervalued today. Yes, maybe they don't shave as close as a Micromatic Open Comb or a 1925 Gem squat head but they are very intuitive to use and they always assure a smooth and irritation-free shave even with a brand new GEM PFTE blade. Who knows, maybe they look "too modern" or not vintage enough.
Your Feather Weight predates the Gillette Fatboy by almost a decade, that sounds pretty vintage to me :001_302:

You guys are great. Thanks so much for all the responses. I just received those two and an Ever-Ready as a generous gift from a friend.

Top Bottom