What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Mylar Bags for Tobacco Storage

I decided to start a fresh thread on this topic, given a bit of discussion in the What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered? thread.

I use bags from GUSSETED POUCHES. - https://www.topmylar.com/gusseted-pouches , obviously the the gusseted pouches.
I prefer the pint size, I think it is the smallest they sell, as they are primarily a bulk dried food bag provider.

The 7 mil bags are more substantial than some Mylar bags you will see. The zip-locks are sturdy and the bags seal quite easily. I use a hair straightening iron as my heat source, it works perfectly and I bought it at a second hand store for three bucks.

I like the gusseted bags because the stand up when filling them. I set the bag on my kitchen scale with a jar funnel in the neck, zero out the scale and fill the bag. I use a screwdriver handle to tamp the tobacco slightly. I put around 3 oz. of ribbon cut per bag and 4 oz of flake or cake. That is a good size for me, so I don't have to open a bigger jar/bag and shut down the aging process.

Currently my 80 pound cellar is stored 24% in Mylar bags; 47% in jars; 23% in tins; 4% in pouches, and the other 1.3% in Cans or VacBags.

All bulk purchases are now stored in Mylar bags for storage and jars for the smoking shelf stock.

We will see how it all goes. I have little doubt the Mylar bags will hold up over time.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Any benefit besides just a personal preference?
Perhaps it will take up less space than a bunch of jars?

I assume they are reusable? but would you want to with different tobaccos?

Firstly...

Currently my 80 pound cellar ...
Yowser!!! :eek6: I will be completely maxed out at 30 tins, or 1.5kg (3.3lb) :lol:

I can see them being very useful for me, and possibly a better storage solution than jars... but not a total replacement.

I only expect to smoke around 6 tins per year, roughly 25g per month. Mylar bags would let me seal up 3 ~12.5g pouches once I crack a tin open, and put the remainder in a small jar. That way I can keep the rest of the tin fresh for smoking later in the year, and top up that jar with a fresh (but aged) half ounce, in old numbers, as and when needed.

Tins for ageing, a few jars for dipping into, and mylar for part tin storage.

I have seen some 10cm x 15cm pouches which look ideal for the job. Moderate cost, lightweight, lightproof, and without the bulkiness of glass jars. I won't be cracking open any tins this years, as I'm pretty sure I have enough in samples to see me through 2020, but I will be considering getting some next year.

Kentos

Wiped out at 25
Moderator Emeritus
Mostly for storage space, but they don’t stack well at all so it needs to be in a box or something.

Kentos

Wiped out at 25
Moderator Emeritus
Nevermind...I see it now. Whew! I was shaking my head...its $22/50 bags.
The smallest ones barely fit a square tin, so might order the one bigger on my next one.

Word to the wise: if the opening isn’t heat sealed it doesn’t do so well at moisture retention with just the ziplock.

The smallest ones barely fit a square tin, so might order the one bigger on my next one.

Word to the wise: if the opening isn’t heat sealed it doesn’t do so well at moisture retention with just the ziplock.
I do have some quart size for tin storage although I’ve only used a few.

And yes, heat sealing is advisable for longer term storage. I would think the ziplock on the 7 mil bags are better than the average plastic bag, but not for years.

They are less attractive than jars as well!

Any benefit besides just a personal preference?
Perhaps it will take up less space than a bunch of jars?

I assume they are reusable? but would you want to with different tobaccos?
Less weight for sure. They do require boxes or small totes if you have a bunch of bags, just to keep them somewhat organized.
As for reusing them, I guess you could, but the ziplock versions can only be heat sealed one time unless you are very careful with the first seal. At 50 cents per bag, I use them once.

Kentos

Wiped out at 25
Moderator Emeritus
I do have some quart size for tin storage although I’ve only used a few.

And yes, heat sealing is advisable for longer term storage. I would think the ziplock on the 7 mil bags are better than the average plastic bag, but not for years.

They are less attractive than jars as well!
I left half an ounce of ribbon in a 7mm bag zipped and folded in half. After maybe a month in my Bugout bag it’s dry. Not crispy but no compression at all. Totally smokable, but I thought it would have lasted a lot longer. Might roll the top half down next time to see if that prolongs the moisture retention.