What's new

Mylar Bags

What size mylar bags do you use for 1 oz, 2 oz, 8oz and 16 oz? And what is a good brand or bags on Amazon that work well? Jars are finally taking up a lot of room. Or are jars still the best way to cellar?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What size mylar bags do you use for 1 oz, 2 oz, 8oz and 16 oz? And what is a good brand or bags on Amazon that work well? Jars are finally taking up a lot of room. Or are jars still the best way to cellar?
I use both.
I use smaller jars for smaller amounts, or if I'm going to break up a larger quantity so I can try it over time.
I use one gallon mylar bags for large and medium quantities. Usually, excess of what I have put in jars.
The bags are cheap enough that I don't worry too much if I don't fill them, and I just cut off the excess. That way I'm not searching for the "right" size bag.
I personally believe that jars are better, but I have no concrete evidence of that, it just seems that way to me.
I don't have a history with mylar bags, but I know that jars keep food safe for a very long time, and that's pretty good evidence for me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I prefer jars over bags, as the latter are more reusable and have a bulletproof track record. But use both.

For bags, I like the gusset style that are resealable. That way, once you crack the heat seal, you can still use the bag without moving the product for at least a couple months. And they’ll stand upright as you do.

I’m a little leery of Amazon, and foreign sourced plastics and rubbers generally. For the same reason I only use American made pipe bites. For mylar, I use these people, who claim to sell USA made products:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I prefer jars over bags, as the latter are more reusable and have a bulletproof track record. But use both.

For bags, I like the gusset style that are resealable. That way, once you crack the heat seal, you can still use the bag without moving the product for at least a couple months. And they’ll stand upright as you do.

I’m a little leery of Amazon, and foreign sourced plastics and rubbers generally. For the same reason I only use American made pipe bites. For mylar, I use these people, who claim to sell USA made products:

I use packfresh for long term storage of beans, grains, and flour. I’ve never had any issues with spoilage (I add an o2 and moisture absorber prior to sealing them). They’re sold on Amazon, but I’ve never compared prices by ordering direct from them.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I started using mylar to reinforce my Esoterica bags. I use the 7mil bags from topmylar. I have really been thinking of using mylar bags instead of 1/2 pint jars. The jars, which seem to be tried and true, take up so much room and are so heavy. Im still really hesitant. a 1 cup bag should hold the same amount as a 1/2 pint jar.

Then the thought process is also there of just doing mylar bulk, vs individual serving sizes to keep the again going and not exposing one big amount to air.

Thanks for all of the answers, have over 100 jars all sizes, they are heavy and take up a lot of room but looks like the gold standard for storage.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
As Isaac said, TopMylar.com is my go-to site. 1 Pint 7-Mil Gusseted Zip Lock Mylar Bag for approximately 2 oz of Flake without folding, cutting or cramming. They'll hold a bit more then that though. I use 1 Quart bags for loose tobacco. I don't pack mylar very tightly as I might a jar.

It's a huge space saver but for me, the weight it saves is the biggest benefit.

I'm with @Isaac & @brandaves, using TopMylar's 1 Pint 7-Mil Gusseted Zip Lock Mylar Bag almost exclusively for my bulk tobacco. I put 3 to 4 oz in the bags and heat seal them in addition to the zip lock. I've been using them for four years instead of the jars I used in my earlier cellaring journey. I like the pint bags as I don't have to open a lot of tobacco at a time and disturb the aging process. I've yet to have a bag failure of any sort, so at present I'm considering them as effective as jars. To give you an idea of where I'm at with this: my cellar is almost exactly 100 pounds. The breakdown is as follows:
Mylar bags 42%
Canning Jars 32%
Tins 22%
Pouch & Can 04%
I have roughly 190 mylar bags in service.
I find the mylar bags attractive from a space, weight, and transport perspective but I still like the looks of the labeled jars stacked in their flats. That said, I'm all mylar going forward for cellar purposes. My immediate smoking stock is in the small jelly jars of three different sizes. I suppose I've roughly 5 pounds or so in the smoking jars, it's too fluid to track.
I guess my best advice is no matter what you use to store your tobacco, keep good records so you know what you have and your level of investment; at least if those sorts of things matter to you. I like to know if I'm running low on my favorites or I have too much of some blends; it helps my perspective. Good luck!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use 100mm x 150mm bags, and use them for roughly 10-15g (a quarter of a regular tin, but I don't bother weighing it out). That way, I get to smoke quarter of a tin, without disturbing the ageing process on the rest. That's with ribbon and flake. With plug, I've used the same bags, but with 25g in each.

I only use jars (10 small ones) for "live" rations, once I've ripped open a Mylar pouch. Everything else is either still in a round factory tin, or in Mylar bags. If it arrived loose, pouches, or in a square tin, it all goes in Mylar. Once a round tin gets popped open, I'll split that up the same way, with a quarter in a jar for smoking now, and the rest sealed in three bags for smoking at a later date.

If I drop a bag, it won't smash. If a bag fails, I've only lost 5 or 6 smokes. I can also cram a heck of a lot of them in a shoebox. Easy, cheap, and lightweight.

20230318_080505.jpg

This drawer is 490mm wide, 220mm deep and 140mm high, and I could easily cram more in there if I wanted to. The colour coded stickers are blend type (Virginia, Aromatic, Latakia, etc).

Top Bottom