What's new

Space: the final frontier

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not outer space, but inner space.
Inner space in the form of storage availability.
I procured a cabinet for pipes and for tobacco, and I am already at the peak for stuffing tins and cans in there.
I could jam more in if I needed to, but honestly, it's already to the point that it's not easy to sort through what I have without pulling a bunch of stuff out.
I have two drawers full of jars (two sizes) and the top is full of tins and cans. I have already taken another drawer in another dresser over for mylar bags.
How do you guys manage your space requirements and still be able to see and grab what you are looking for without pulling everything out.
I know mylar bags take up a small amount of space, but really, if the tin or can is tight, I'd rather not go through the extra work.

20220830_075254.jpg

20220830_075222.jpg

20220830_075235.jpg

Wow. I've just started and have only accumulated about one percent of your stash.

I would just take all the duplicates and rarely used stuff, box it up and put it in a closet or other storage space.

Also, I would not like moving racks of pipes to access my tobacco (because I know I would ultimately drop them or knock them out of the racks), so I would consider displaying/storing my pipes on one shelf, separate from the cans/tins.

Although, not a terrible predicament to be in. 🙂

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow. I've just started and have only accumulated about one percent of your stash.

I would just take all the duplicates and rarely used stuff, box it up and put it in a closet or other storage space.

Also, I would not like moving racks of pipes to access my tobacco (because I know I would ultimately drop them or knock them out of the racks), so I would consider displaying/storing my pipes on one shelf, separate from the cans/tins.

Although, not a terrible predicament to be in. 🙂
If I move the pipes out and put them on dresser tops, that would be useful. I'll lose sunlight in the room as I don't want the pipes out in the sun, so the drapes will get pulled.
I can't really split dupes up because I though I have dupes, they have different dates on them. I have managed to get all plug and cake versions on one shelf, so that's helpful.

Not outer space, but inner space.
Inner space in the form of storage availability.
I procured a cabinet for pipes and for tobacco, and I am already at the peak for stuffing tins and cans in there.
I could jam more in if I needed to, but honestly, it's already to the point that it's not easy to sort through what I have without pulling a bunch of stuff out.
I have two drawers full of jars (two sizes) and the top is full of tins and cans. I have already taken another drawer in another dresser over for mylar bags.
How do you guys manage your space requirements and still be able to see and grab what you are looking for without pulling everything out.
I know mylar bags take up a small amount of space, but really, if the tin or can is tight, I'd rather not go through the extra work.

View attachment 1513882

View attachment 1513883

View attachment 1513884
Holy smokes! :scared:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Phil, you’re already doing better than me.
This is the top of a cedar quilt storage chest. It’s pretty deep, some of those biscuit type tins are 6 deep.
DF95DB41-00DD-410F-81CE-1CF8082D585A.jpeg
This is the bottom drawer in the quilt chest.
7A290623-86F7-48AF-B609-3394206B4C71.jpeg
These are the 3 tubs I have stuff stored in.
3E3D1343-779A-46EC-B253-99357E43521B.jpeg
Here’s the stuff I have open for consumption as well as some Frog Morton that wouldn’t fit in the other areas.
8F0DDF34-27DA-452F-9B50-76A52CF9089F.jpeg
80745F65-55CE-4E08-85B5-FB009CB68121.jpeg
I know what I have but not necessarily where it is. I need to get that wet bar finished so I can move the chest of drawers down into the man cave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, you’re already doing better than me.
This is the top of a cedar quilt storage chest. It’s pretty deep, some of those biscuit type tins are 6 deep.
View attachment 1514248
This is the bottom drawer in the quilt chest.
View attachment 1514249
These are the 3 tubs I have stuff stored in.
View attachment 1514250
Here’s the stuff I have open for consumption as well as some Frog Morton that wouldn’t fit in the other areas.
View attachment 1514251
View attachment 1514252
I know what I have but not necessarily where it is. I need to get that wet bar finished so I can move the chest of drawers down into the man cave.
There's got to be a better way to organize and store this stuff. It's only going to get worse the more one accumulates.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If I had shelves I would probably shrink wrap multiple tins of the same blend into “logs” which I could then stack on top of each other horizontally with the label exposed.thinking about it that wouldn’t work with the biscuit type tins since the top is white. It would work with the metal tins though, round and rectangular.

That's an impressive stash of pipes and tobacco! My father was a pipe smoker and he NEVER had anything like that!
Unfortunately pipe smokers are far and few between, as I ALWAYS enjoy the second hand!

Carry on gentlemen!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's an impressive stash of pipes and tobacco! My father was a pipe smoker and he NEVER had anything like that!
Unfortunately pipe smokers are far and few between, as I ALWAYS enjoy the second hand!

Carry on gentlemen!
What I have in the pics is a tiny myopic speck in a vast cosmos compared to what most of the guys here have! :lol1:
I just want to get an idea of how I am going to manage this as it grows.
@Whisky has some interesting ideas about "logging" them. Even with the biscuit tins it would be possible with a printed label affixed to the top one. That way, dates could be put on that one top label, for example, Tin/Can 1 (top) - xx date, Tin/Can 2 xx date, etc.

I have a lot of cardboard boxes in my closet. They are organized by type of tobacco; VA, VaPer, English, Aromatics, of which I think I have four tins if you don't count the Firedance.

There are some boxes that only have on blend in them. I'm talking about Escudo, McCl 40th w/Christmas Cheers, etc. I have the outside of the box labeled. So if I'm looking for an English, I know it is one of two boxes. VA, 2 boxes, VaPer, 2 boxes, Escudo, One box.

I have a Rhodia Legal Pad with my inventory. Each page is a different brand. It has the number of tins with the same date and if they tins are different sizes. When I pull something out and open it, I cross it off.

Jars, I have some I have a shelf beside my pipe rack. The jars that are aging are in the mason jar box with dividers, stacked in the closet. They are still wrapped in plastic from my move in January.

I would take a picture but when we were in the hospital when having the kidlet, our dog sitter got into organizing mode and moved a lot of useless stuff of the wife's into my and I have not had the gumption to find a better spot for it besides the trash bin.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You're all way better organized than I am. I've got over 60 lbs. scattered about my man cave. Some in a glass front cabinet, some in boxes stashed under the desk, boxes on top of the cabinet, tobacco in ceramic jars, glass humidors, scattered pouches and baggies. It's a mess, I tell ya!

I've got a cedar blanket chest that stores all of the tobacco I want access to. Everything else goes in storage tubs for aging, and they're mainly limited to my closet and under the bed. New tobacco coming in lives in the blanket chest until I've acquired enough to make it worth dragging the tubs out to re-distribute. All tins and their locations are tracked on a spreadsheet.

Top Bottom