What's new

My thoughts on the Wunderbar

So I received my Wunderbar today and here are my thoughts..

I primarily use a SR when shaving my face and one pass on my head. When I do a XTG/ATG on my head I have to use a DE. I have used the Gillette Debutante, Fatboy, RR Mission and Gillette Flair tip so no where near as many as some folks here on B&B. While I learned something from all of those, I ultimately decided on the flair tip due to the head size and size.

While I enjoy the flair tip, I find it isn't as aggressive as I would like on my ATG passes and usually have to do a clean up pass after all of those passes so I decided to splurge on the Wunderbar as I haven't bought any shaving stuff in a while and shave my face/head with it today.

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (New)
Soap: Arko
Brush: Synthetic RR Barber Handle 24mm

The detail and finish on the razor is great and the new handle they have feels awesome in my hand. With my hands wet with water and lather I never felt like I was going to drop this razor.

I find the Fatboy on 9 is almost as aggressive as the Wunderbar but I find the Wunderbar was a lot more smooth going XTG/ATG passes (especially on my face/neck). While comparing the two, it was a lot easier to get the head of the Wunderbar under my nose than the Fatboy. When doing passes on my face and head I found the Wunderbar was also taking all the moisture from my skin. Not in a irritated skipping kinda way that dry lather has but the slickness was gone after completing the pass. Like it squeegeed all the moisture when going across my skin. Which brings me on to my next point; your lather should be on point when you are using this razor, IMHO. I could imagine it being quite uncomfortable if your lather was too dry/wet.

This razor did in two passes what my flair tip does in 3-4 and it did cut down on time. It was extremely smooth when cutting growth from 3 days. Time will tell if this is something I will keep in my rotation or bring out on occasion as to remind myself of all the money I spent on it.

-Rob

your lather should be on point when you are using this razor
+1. The Wunderbar is my favorite razor, but I have noticed that it does not work well with one of my soaps. I thought it was just me when I found that a razor wouldn’t pair well with a soap, so thanks for sharing! Wunderbar with Tabac or MWF is unbeatable though for a close, comfortable and smooth shave.

Slants are my favorite DE razors. I have so many that I can no longer call regular DE "regular" anymore because slants are my regular.

I started out with a Merkur 39c and it slowly built up from there. Of all my slants, I still rate the Wunderbar the best. It is well built, balanced, comfortable, and very efficient. This was the first razor where I had to stop during my shave to see if the blade was actually cutting my whiskers or just clearing lather. This was also my first razor where I got a one pass plus touch up shave.

Glad you found it.

Top Bottom