What's new

My Straight Razor journal

January 8, 2016
145th straight razor shave
Days growth: 1
Prep: Showered and washed face, brush soaking
Pre-Shave: Gave razor 20 laps on canvas 60 laps on leather
Equipment: SRD Premium Roo Strop, Mystic Waters coconut lime verbena shaving soap, Razorock/HTGAM mentholated lime pre-shave soap, Semogue SOC boar shaving brush, 6/8 full hollow Gold Monkey (honed by me, 5 shaves on its edge), Gillette Slim DE, Lucky Tiger face tonic, Old Spice classic aftershave splash with glycerin, Soap Commander Integrity ASB

WTG, ATG, some touchup with remaining lather. Finished with 10 laps on canvas, 20 laps on leather.

Result: DFS+

So, I got the best lather I've managed from MW yet...but it didn't hold up for my ATG pass and I felt the need to finish the shave with a DE to be safe.

My problem previously was the container I had put the sample into: it was too tall and narrow to really load up my brush. I think next time will be good: I just need to add less water.

Have a good weekend, guys!

Way to dial it in and take the reigns on the DE when needed. I always keep one of my DE's on the sink counter in the event I have to bail on a straight shave and it has saved my butt on a lot of occasions where I am trying a newly honed edge. Those are still hit and miss with me especially on the coticule. When I hit it though it is REALLY nice:thumbup1:

Way to dial it in and take the reigns on the DE when needed. I always keep one of my DE's on the sink counter in the event I have to bail on a straight shave and it has saved my butt on a lot of occasions where I am trying a newly honed edge. Those are still hit and miss with me especially on the coticule. When I hit it though it is REALLY nice:thumbup1:

I've heard that a good coticule edge is hard to beat (and hard to achieve). Maybe someday I'll get to the point where I'm up for one.

I've heard that a good coticule edge is hard to beat (and hard to achieve). Maybe someday I'll get to the point where I'm up for one.

They really Are, as far as sharp and close the Arkansas Takes the title in my Rock Quarry, (As I do not yet have any JNATS.... I Stress YET), and the Coticule edge is more difficult to achieve for me as I am just starting out with them but once you get one it is Very Very Smooth and definitely close too.

Good call on branching out to a stone bevel setter. I've not tried the Norton but by all accounts they do a fine job. Honing can really be just as addictive as shaving! I really like film for how easy it was to get really sharp results. Gave me lots and lots of confidence to try other things. Coticule was an exercise in frustration for me, but my JNAT has been wonderful (and easy). Beware, Stephen, of stone proliferation! They're technically inanimate, but they seem to BREED! :blink:

Good call on branching out to a stone bevel setter. I've not tried the Norton but by all accounts they do a fine job. Honing can really be just as addictive as shaving! I really like film for how easy it was to get really sharp results. Gave me lots and lots of confidence to try other things. Coticule was an exercise in frustration for me, but my JNAT has been wonderful (and easy). Beware, Stephen, of stone proliferation! They're technically inanimate, but they seem to BREED! :blink:

Fortunately, I have one thing that prevents me from going overboard: a lack of money! [emoji16]
I really like the film too, but I wore through my 15um WAY too quickly!

Getting caught up, glad the sample is getting dialed in nice writes up as of late

Thanks!

January 11, 2016
146th straight razor shave
Prep: Showered and washed face,
Pre-Shave: Gave razor 40 laps on canvas 80 laps on leather
Equipment: SRD Premium Roo Strop, Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot shaving soap, Razorock/HTGAM mentholated lime pre-shave soap, Plisson syntheticshaving brush, 5/8 half hollow JR Torrey (honed by me, 0 shaves on its edge), Lucky Tiger face tonic, Aqua Velva Ice Sport aftershave splash, Davidoff's Cool Water ASB

WTG, ATG, some touchup with remaining lather. Finished with 10 laps on canvas, 20 laps on leather.

Result: BBS, DFS near Adam's apple

Good shave today, other than one tiny nick on the cheek. Nothing much of note beyond that.

January 12, 2016
147th straight razor shave
Prep: Showered and washed face, soap and brush soaking
Pre-Shave: Gave razor 40 laps on canvas 80 laps on leather
Equipment: SRD Premium Roo Strop, Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap, Razorock/HTGAM mentholated lime pre-shave soap, Semogue 2-band badger SOC shaving brush, 6/8 Gold Monkey (honed by me, 6 shaves on its edge), Lucky Tiger face tonic, Soap Commander Integrity ASB

Result: DFS to DFS+

Opened the mail yesterday, and what did I find but the new brush that I had ordered! So, after some rinsing and a few palm lathers before being set to the side to dry, it was ready to go. Oddly, whereas most of my brushes have smelled like a wet dog, this brush smelled (and still smells) like chemicals. Such a nice looking and feeling brush though!

I decided to give MWF another go, as I had used it last night to break in the brush and they seemed to work well together when I used the Marco Method.

That said, yes, I did achieve a better lather than previous attempts for straight razor shaving, but I still had issues with the lather drying out on my face in an unacceptably short period of time. All told, I ended up slightly sore to the touch on my cheeks and with not too terribly close of a shave.

I'm not complaining though. I knew the risks going in, and man, I love this brush!:thumbup1:

$_shaveoftheday_using_my_new__semogue_2-band_badger_SOC__Great_brush__and_it_did_an_admirable_job.jp

On another note, this came in the mail today:
$This_came_in_the_mail_today.__H._Biker_King_Cutter__straightrazor__So_excited_to_get_this_thing_.jp
and I'm very much looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it ready to shave!

Very nice Brush Stephen, and with MWF Load it like crazy for longer than you think and More water than you think and whip like madman you will be rewarded. Nice write up and pics

That is a very nice looking brush Stephen and sorry to hear about the soreness and not so close shave, as you get it dialed in though the MWF does do a really good job, it is just really thirsty soap for sure though:thumbup:

Top Bottom