What's new

My shave results; edge comparisons.

Dark Blue Escher. New stone. Felt a little coarser than usual for a Thuri, but no arguing with the results. A stellar shave.

48/50 closeness
A perfect 50/50 comfort
98/100 overall

I have two Panama hones inherited from my Grandpa. Couple other razor hones too, I think. Have not used them, and at least one of the Panama's is a little rough on the fine side, probably needs to be lightly lapped to smooth it.

The fine (black) side is very fine, and slow -- I tried to polish up some small chisels on it before I knew what it was supposed to be used for. They have a good reputation, I'm interested to hear how you find them to work.

Mine have a synthetic coarse side. The older ones appear to have a natural stone coarse side, but although it looks like petrified wood, I don't know what it actually is.

I have a pair of massive petrified wood book ends (I think that is what they are).
Should this make a good hone?
The pieces are slick as glass, maybe they need to be roughed up with a diamond plate first.
Any advice for this endeavor? Jody

Mine have a synthetic coarse side. The older ones appear to have a natural stone coarse side, but although it looks like petrified wood, I don't know what it actually is.

Both versions have a synthetic coarse side.
The older version that has what is supposedly petrified wood is the fine side of that hone. The coarse side of the same hone is really fine for a coarse side.
The 3.00 hone the black side is finish side and it is superfine. The coarse side of this hone is much more coarse than the other.
If they made a modern version with the coarse side from the original and the black finish side from the latter it would be a best seller and the best razor hone for maintaining a razor ever made.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Look forward to your results of the Panama Hone. The Panama Hone that I have I easily in my top 5 B-hones. I have the petrified version but use the black side for finishing. I conditioned mine with high grit W/D, polished on a buffing wheel, and worked vaseline into the surface.

2B6ADDF9-B6C3-4EF3-8512-B4C4D947C88C.jpeg

Yeah that image is the one I bought. So the black side is the finisher, eh? I wonder if it’s the same mix as the ambicut synth backside and the swastika.

I have a few bhones coming in. May or may not be an olean ny 00 and the other may or may not be a 00 as well with store branding. Red and black is a pinau's by am. Apart from tonsorial gems and the single layer little devil, I haven't messed around with the am products much. What I do want to do though is use it as intended to try it out with something faded.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 22
  • s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 23
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 20
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 21
Today was the Panama Hone.

Did some digging and remembering.

The Black side is supposed to be the Petrified wood, not the brown. It's also been sold as "Ebony wood" before, leaving me to suspect that it's either a description of the appearance and not the makeup, or the process of making that particular side involved the use of paper/wood pulp... which they argued was a "petrification" process.

The brown side is actually a really decent-feeling, fast hone. It does swarf up but seems aggressive enough not to clog like many barbers hones do, even when the surface looks like a sheet of steel (a few seconds into honing).

The black side is the exact opposite. Very subtle feedback and such minimal stock removal that you almost can't tell it's doing anything. I recall the instructions for this hone saying to do 2 strokes on the black side coming off the brown... yeah, right.

That said, the black side IS doing something. It's a very nice, fast hone... probably the new one to beat for barbers hones.

Closeness 47/50
Comfort 47.5/50
Overall 94.5/50

I believe the petrified wood side is the fine side of the oldest version. It has a stamp on the lower grit side - very rare. Most are labeled on the fine side.
The black side of the one you have is not supposed to be petrified wood.
The old one looks like wood. It is a fine hone in its own right but the black one you have is finer and faster. It leaves an edge visually similar to a Gok 20k stone. Really remarkable for a hone of its age.
You almost cannot over hone on this thing either. For me it is one of the finest Barber hones to exist.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Interesting review. I always thought the brown side was the petrified wood, not the black due to it being embossed. If the black side is made by a “petrification” process, that would explain the embossed logo. Either way, the black side is a very good finisher, especially heading to be 100 years old

Top Bottom