What's new

My Search For Smooth

Perma-Sharp #32

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Cella Extra Extra Purissima

2 passes, WTG, XTG

A fantastic shave with a great razor, a great soap and a blade that won't quit. But this brush. I can barely put into words how much I love it. The lather for the second pass, without the need to reload, wasn't merely as good as the first, it was better. Dense, runny yoghurt, with plenty to spare.

And to think that this brush, just perfect for me, was right under my nose all the time, while I was busy messing around with a flashier, more expensive model. It's like the end of a sappy rom-com.

Only a slightly too sparing an application of Proraso preshave leading to a decent post shave minus the extra few percent to make it world class, plus a sting to the left corner of my mouth when rinsing initially, prevent a faultless shave.

Perma-Sharp #33

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

2 passes, WTG, XTG

Rasozero used to be the soap I looked forward to using least, now it might be my favourite. With less water than either Proraso or Cella it produces a lather that's slicker than both. I need less soap too. Admittedly, I'll never be crazy about the scent but it performs brilliantly. It's clear now that the only thing lacking in previous shaves was down to me. It is made by TFS, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised really. And yet, not long after getting it I almost gave it away, and even considered just chucking it at one point. I'm glad I didn't and I'll be sure to think twice about everything in my possession from now on.

Over the last few shaves I've noticed a difference in the feel of the Perma-Sharp. It's hard to describe but it has a softness about it, with no loss of cutting ability. It makes every blade I've used prior to this one seem harsh by recollection. A mis-judgement almost certainly, but an indication of how comfortable it's become nonetheless.

No tugging, zero irritation but a touch of redness around my chin where I was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic face lathering.

Perma-Sharp #33

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

2 passes, WTG, XTG

Rasozero used to be the soap I looked forward to using least, now it might be my favourite. With less water than either Proraso or Cella it produces a lather that's slicker than both. I need less soap too. Admittedly, I'll never be crazy about the scent but it performs brilliantly. It's clear now that the only thing lacking in previous shaves was down to me. It is made by TFS, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised really. And yet, not long after getting it I almost gave it away, and even considered just chucking it at one point. I'm glad I didn't and I'll be sure to think twice about everything in my possession from now on.

Over the last few shaves I've noticed a difference in the feel of the Perma-Sharp. It's hard to describe but it has a softness about it, with no loss of cutting ability. It makes every blade I've used prior to this one seem harsh by recollection. A mis-judgement almost certainly, but an indication of how comfortable it's become nonetheless.

No tugging, zero irritation but a touch of redness around my chin where I was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic face lathering.
Admittedly, I'll never be crazy about the scent but it performs brilliantly.
I’ve left soaps uncovered for a few weeks to air out. I have not noticed any degradation in performance. Enjoying them much more when the scent has been softened.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’ve left soaps uncovered for a few weeks to air out. I have not noticed any degradation in performance. Enjoying them much more when the scent has been softened.

I only use samples of scented soaps. I've not found anything I could tolerate a full cake/jar of yet, but I can tolerate the 20 or so shaves I get off a sample, so long as I go back to the primary soaps for a while in between. Both my mains soaps are "soap" scented.

I've done that with Rasozero Spiffero and I can still smell it. I've come to the conclusion that I have a very keen sense of smell. @AimlessWanderer and a few others have said Wickham Irish Fern had a mild, unintrusive scent. To me nose it was an incredibly strong, familiar but not very nice cologne type of scent. It softened a fair bit after a week or two in a wooden bowl with a loose fitting lid but it smelled strongly to me. Luckily, I ended up liking it with repeated use.

I only use samples of scented soaps. I've not found anything I could tolerate a full cake/jar of yet, but I can tolerate the 20 or so shaves I get off a sample, so long as I go back to the primary soaps for a while in between. Both my mains soaps are "soap" scented.
Samples are the best thing to happen in the soap world. As you have posted MWF Is all you really need. Totally agree. If we weren’t so curious we would just be caressing lanolin soft skin and smiling. That being Said I blew a fin on a puck of Arko. I will probably air it out in the garage for a week and than bring it in the house. I have to know.

Perma-Sharp #34

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green

2 passes, WTG, XTG

As simple as it gets. I put the lather on. I wiped the lather off.

The second pass was particularly enjoyable, wherein I used long, quick, modulating strokes.

On it's thirty-fourth use the Perma-Sharp has delivered a shave as close and as comfortable as I've had.

No irritation at any stage, zero redness or dryness and a superlative postshave that's left my skin feeling irresistably cool and deliciously moisturised.

Yah.

Perma-Sharp #35

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave

Palmolive Men Classic

2 passes, WTG, XTG

This shave was equal to or better than every shave with one of my soaps. It took longer to face lather but with no loading time was probably a bit quicker overall. A small blob on the bristles of the brush produced enough lather for multiple passes and it was precisely the kind of lather I've come to prefer. A dense yet runny yoghurt. No airy meringues for me, thank you very much.

2 lovely passes, no tugging, though there was a bit of resistence at the first stroke beneath my lower lip where I failed to get the angle and speed of stroke right. It was easily and automatically corrected. The Palmolive isn't just ok for the money, it's fantastic. Great protection and plenty of slickness, I even indulged in a couple of 'residual slickness test strokes' at the left side of my neck as I finished up, something I wouldn't've dreamed of doing a few shaves back.

Great post shave with the now usual no redness, drynesss etc but a little closer than the last shave.

The Perma-Sharp. I'm assuming that it must be duller than it was when I started out with it, so I must've been unconsciously adjusting pressure and refining angle to compensate. The funny thing is, not only is there no deterioration from shave to shave, there's actually improvement. I feel like I'm really learning to shave now. And it hasn't been boring in the slightest. In the process of learning how to get the lather I want I've discovered what I want from a brush, to go along with what I want from a razor, as well as what I want from my shaves in a more general sense.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have yet to use a shave stick of any kind. I don't find them an attractive proposition - yet!

I find them very convenient for travel, not that anyone's doing much of that at present. I don't even take the whole stick, just a slice.

For home use, I prefer a regular cake/puck of soap, although I do have a Palmolive stick which I grated and moulded into a bowl, which gives me that option with that soap.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Do you rub it on your face or collect the soap with a brush?

Wet face
Rub soap on face
Rub brush (or even just wet fingertips) on face
Add water as needed.

For applying direct to face, I find applying against the grain is best. It collects soap better that way

Perma-Sharp #36

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso White

2 passes, WTG, XTG. As easy as that.

Is what I was going to say. But just as I was finishing up lathering between passes, thinking to myself how I could use Proraso White and only Proraso White for the rest of my shaving career, it's got eveything I want really, great scent, great feel, easy to lather, inexpensive, I reached out to grab my Fatip and - Swoosh, ker-thunk!. It slipped from my fingers and half slid, half tumbled into the sink. It made a substantial sound but appears to be unharmed.

The pass that followed was superb. Shaving XTG/ATG most everywhere above the jawline and at the base of my neck I used more pressure than normal and the comfort increased.

A sightly closer shave than the one before, once again and, apart from the point equidistant from the bottom of my lip to the edge of my chin where I used a half dozen strokes too many, better comfort overall too.

Perma-Sharp #37

Fatip Gentile
Omega 51
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Red

3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG

I was driven by a very mysterious and unknown impulse this evening. The first two passes were completely uneventful in that they were the fastest, easiest and most comfortable passes of my entire life. Such was the speed and economy of the shave so far and, since I've banished any and all lathering issues after rediscovering my Omega boar I quickly and simply lathered up for a third.

Right jaw, directly against the grain and instead of the gently does it, light touch, no pressure approach of my previous attempts at ATG, I shaved as I normally do, which is to say I used what I think was a shallow angle, considerable, firm pressure and long strokes. It was not the pain fest I'd expected and as if it had a life of its own the razor continued on its path to my upper lip where a bit of buffing ensued, straight over to my left jaw for a repeat of the right, then lower lip and the front of my chin. All directly ATG, all without major issue.

I rinsed the razor and attacked the underside of my jaw with new found confidence, only to receive my first rebuke. I attempted a shallower angle still, with more pressure. An improvement, though still not without discomfort. The right side of my neck, north to south was ok and I noticed a spot of blood left jawline and upper lip as I stared at my reflection. After the left side of my neck I tackled the centre but called it quits as my skin continued to berate me and shaved WTG/XTG along the length of my windpipe.

Post shave; no redness or dryness but a little warmth under my chin, upper lip and neck, balanced unevenly with the cooling effect of the Proraso preshave. So basically a bit warm. There's some stubble on the front edge and underside of my chin, and my neck, but almost BBS everywhere else, unimportant though it may be.

All in all, not too bad, but I won't be making a habit of it. Until my next misguided effort, that is.

Last edited:
Ahh, and the above took just a few minutes longer than my regular 2 pass shave. The time taken for a 3 pass shave really killed it for me on previous efforts. Not so this time.

Top Bottom