What's new

My Search For Smooth

Fatip Gentile
Perma Sharp (17)
Omega boar
Proraso Green preshave
Palmolive

I was feeling a bit jaded tonight but once again a shave has demonstrated its restorative powers.

2 passes, WTG/XTG and I squeezed a half inch blob of cream on to the brush bristles, massaged it into the knot and got a decent lather going, albeit with a bit more effort than I'd like. It didn't last 2 passes either, so for the second I used twice the amount and it worked out better.

No tugging throughout, no irritation and a nice post shave, with the technique on my neck improving slowly but surely.

I have yet to fall in love with this cream but it might just be starting to grow on me.

Is it the amateuraso compared to the Proraso you normally enjoy?

Yeah, but it's not the quality of the cream, which is very, very good. Just the fact that it's a cream and I still haven't quite gelled with them yet. It's mostly a routine thing. I always lather from a tub of soap exactly the same way everytime; cradle tub in left hand, pick up brush from bowl, drain, shake, load, empty bowl, wet face with left hand and lather. I can't do that with a tube of cream and I miss it.

I've just had my best shave yet.

Fatip Gentile
Perma Sharp (18)
Semogue boar
Proraso green preshave
Proraso white

2 passes, WTG, XTG. It was also the easiest, the fastest, the closest, the most comfortable and the smoothest shave I've had. I used the preshave sparingly, a lot less than usual, my minimal prep virtually nonexistent. I face lathered quickly, only dipping the brush once, yet the lather was, especially for the second pass, my idea of perfection; creamy and runny but with a little bit of cushion. And I shaved entirely without due care and attention. If I was driving, it would've been illegal.

The post shave is spectacular. The entire shave took about 15 minutes from the moment I walked into the bathroom to moment I left. That's less than half the time it normally takes me. Shaving may be neither a competition nor a race but the less time lathering, the less time with soap on my face and the less time with the razor on my skin the better my face likes it. A couple of missed hairs right on my adams apple. I'll get 'em next time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The entire shave took about 15 minutes from the moment I walked into the bathroom to moment I left. That's less than half the time it normally takes me. Shaving may be neither a competition nor a race but the less time lathering, the less time with soap on my face and the less time with the razor on my skin the better my face likes it. A couple of missed hairs right on my adams apple. I'll get 'em next time.

:thumbsup:

1b8cz8.jpg

This is why I say to shave with confidence. If you're hesitant and tentative, you're handicapping yourself.

When you make mistakes, its okay. Your body will make more blood to replace whats lost lol.

Fatip Gentile
Perma Sharp (19)
Semogue boar
Proraso green preshave
Proraso red

A virtual repeat of the previous shave, 2 passes, WTG, XTG. Easy, quick and simple once more. Now I know why I love my Semogue brush. It's very soft, especially welcome when reloading and face lathering for the second pass. Not only does it feel great on the skin but it can be accomplished in a matter of seconds.

I'm able to get my left and right jawline closer by shaving precisely XTG rather than ATG, which used to always happen by accident due to my growth pattern, with the added bonus of eliminating the occasional ingrown.

No irritation, redness or weepers and a post shave just a bit less than marvelous. Marvelous.

Perma-Sharp Super #20

Fatip Gentile
Semogue boar
Proraso Green preshave
Cella

2 passes, WTG, XTG

A less than perfect lather highlighted the main difference between this brush and the Omega. The Semogue delivers the soap to my face with a lovely softness but doesn't pick it up from the tub with the same level of ability as the Omega. This meant I spent a lot longer face lathering tonight, which in turn led to a less fluid, slower shave. Too much thinking about pressure and angle led to mistakes. They were small though, too small too pick out, apart from a nick in the crease of my lower lip, second pass.

Another top post shave however, with no irritation or redness. The blade keeps ticking along nicely and I can detect no drop off in performance so far, with the last few shaves being amongst the most comfortable I've yet had.

Seven months since you've started this thread.

I'd stopped keeping track, but it's flown by. That means that at least seven months ago I mapped my beard and discovered that my hair actually grows south to north, up and over my right and left jawlines, yet it's only in the last two or three shaves that I've actually been shaving in the correct direction in those areas. Years of assuming that it grows downwards because that's what should be normal stopped me from believing my findings.

old habits.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That means that at least seven months ago I mapped my beard and discovered that my hair actually grows south to north, up and over my right and left jawlines, yet it's only in the last two or three shaves that I've actually been shaving in the correct direction in those areas.

Knowing your map does help. Following it properly helps more. Now that you're paying closer attention to it, you'll start refining your technique. You may notice that as you start to focus more on the comfort of the shave, things may change as your technique evolves.

Seven months is pretty good. It took me that long just to get where I am with my MMOC, but I tend to learn things the hard way haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good advice...

Knowing your map does help. Following it properly helps more. Now that you're paying closer attention to it, you'll start refining your technique. You may notice that as you start to focus more on the comfort of the shave, things may change as your technique evolves.

Seven months is pretty good. It took me that long just to get where I am with my MMOC, but I tend to learn things the hard way haha.

I learn things the easy way!

If you believe that I have swamp land and bridges. Send $$$$ to purchase options.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Perma-Sharp #21

Fatip Gentile
Semogue boar
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

2 passes, WTG, XTG

The thing I love about shaving is that there is always something new to discover, something new to learn. Just as I was saying my grow-back has become very comfortable, I had a couple of ingrowns at the top of my neck, left side. That's an area where my beard grows right to left, inside to outside for a bit, pretty much mirrored on the other side. So today I changed my neck routine second pass, shaving inside to out XTG. It's too early to say if it was a success but I have high hopes. It certainly feels very good immediately post shave. Lately, everytime I've found a way to shave in more comfort it's resulted in a closer shave.

The second thing I changed tonight was lathering, or more specifically, loading. After last shaves slightly under par performance I wondered if a bit more water to start out might help. With just a gentle shake I started loading and straightaway realised it wasn't going to work. Lots and lots of foamy, bubbly suds so I aborted and started again. This time I went the other way and squeezed out all of the excess water. Way better. Creamy and pasty, just what I was after. It took a little while for me to adjust to the amount of water needed to add back in and I nearly added too much. I probably over did the face lathering as well, with a lot of mashing, the brush fully splayed and big circles everywhere. Got a lovely lather though, with the Rasozero for the first time smelling not just ok but very nice. Lots of eucalyptus.

The shave itself was a little slow, a little fussy but no tugging at any point and no drama. A weeper under my lower lip disappeared during the second pass and never returned. I noticed a tiny bit of irritation towards the end of the shave but it didn't last and I ended up with a very nice post shave.

Top Bottom