What's new

My Omega Seamaster Has Died

My graduation gift in 2004, and Aqua Terra Seamaster with the 2500 movement has died after 10 years of faithful use. I can't manually wind it and when the rotor moves the second hand moves for about 5 seconds and then it stops. I know the coaxial movement can be finicky, but I guess it is off to the omega repair center for fixing...there goes $525.

That is sad news!

My 1960's Seamaster is still going strong, and I hope yours will return to life soon as well!

Do you have a local watch shop? you might give them a call as it might only need servicing (cleaning etc)

Skip the Omega repair center. If you can not find a reputable guy locally, I would use Nesbit's in Seattle WA. I have used them for my 2500 Planet Ocean as well as a '65 Seamaster DeVille. Their customer service is great. The best part is that you can call and speak with the person holding your watch, something not possible with a service center. Multi-generation establishment that prides itself on their reputation. I'm not sure if it is ok to post a link to their site so check your PM.

yes, sad indeed

How long has it been since the watch was last serviced?
the watch is only 9 years old, and the coaxial movement has a 10 year service interval I believe

Do you have a local watch shop? you might give them a call as it might only need servicing (cleaning etc)

Many local watch shops will not service the coaxial movement as it requires special tools and training.

thanks for the PM regarding the other shop!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
If you get another 10 years out of it for $525, I would say it is worth it.

I serviced a self-winding Tag Heuer 2 years ago (the first time I ever serviced it after obtaining it some 12 or so years ago) and it cost about $375 at a local shop. This year I dropped another $150 because it needed a new part (something with the winding mechanism). It is starting to cost me more than my 16 year old BMW. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

yes, sad indeed

the watch is only 9 years old, and the coaxial movement has a 10 year service interval I believe

Many local watch shops will not service the coaxial movement as it requires special tools and training.

thanks for the PM regarding the other shop!

I know service on the Calibre 8500, which is replacing the 2500, is 7-10 years because its a more robust calibre. My Omega owners manual recommends service every 4-5 years depending on conditions. The price will also be more depending on whether you have a metal or leather band. They polish and remove scratches on the metal bands. Anyway, they should have you up and running in no time.

Last edited:
With Autos they vary... I have heard guys say after 2-5 yrs theirs have stopped (multiple brands) and were corrected after service, others have worn theirs for 20+ yrs no service no issue. Never understood it. It is in your best interest to fork over the $ and get it repaired. Considering on avg every 5-7 yrs is recommended for service your ahead of the game.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That's a bummer, but the hand built movements do seem to show some YMMV. My son is wearing his graduation gift from 2003 still and we talked about it last week when he graduated from medical school, he thanked me again for the Bond Seamaster that he says keeps within a couple minutes a week if he wears it constantly. I've got a Moon Watch Omega that was second hand at least ten years back that goes just fine (manual wind), but a Panerai hand winder went kerfluey at around 4 years (has run 8 since then though). My daily driver GMT is gaining only around 8 seconds a month, so it isn't going anywhere until the performance deteriorates or it doesn't run

I have read on the Interwebs that you need to service these movements every fifteen minutes, and also that you are better off not letting anyone open them up unless they don't work due to modern lubricants .. I dink either way is a crapshoot, but there still has to be a good local watchmaker in Milwaukee or certainly Chi-town at worst. Good luck with it Tom,

Just an update; my watch was sent to Nesbit Watches in Seattle for service. Turns out some of the case screws came loose and fell into the movement causing some internal damage. The service, parts, and repairs come to $737 and shipping. I am kind of bummed as being an early careerist doesn't mean I have that kind of coin.

This was the first time the case has been opened so there isn't anyone to blame for the case screws and case clamps except for me not servicing it before 9 years and omega for having screws that can back out. Lessons learned and now I am on the fence about fixing it, or letting it be for now.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Just an update; my watch was sent to Nesbit Watches in Seattle for service. Turns out some of the case screws came loose and fell into the movement causing some internal damage. The service, parts, and repairs come to $737 and shipping. I am kind of bummed as being an early careerist doesn't mean I have that kind of coin.

This was the first time the case has been opened so there isn't anyone to blame for the case screws and case clamps except for me not servicing it before 9 years and omega for having screws that can back out. Lessons learned and now I am on the fence about fixing it, or letting it be for now.

How often is servicing required? Is it every five years? I have a Seamaster that I bought about 4-5 years ago, and has not been serviced yet. On a side note, what was the original work suppose to run you before they realized the screws jammed things up?

I see you having a couple of choices. I have to start by saying that having a watch on my wrist brings a fair amount of joy to me. My watches are not in the same league as yours either.

First, you can put it on the shelf until you get a raise or bonus to repair it.

Secondly, you can raise the funds. So, it might be you get some cash from relatives for Christmas for example. Take a hard look around. With the advent of ebay I am sure there ought to be SOMEthing you can sell to raise some funds.

Third, take a look in the mirror and identify a way to save a bit each day. It might be the $4.00 latte. Each day instead toss $4.00 into the coffee can. In six months you have yourself a tidy $720.00.

It is doable, just be creative! Caution, do NOT go into debt to do it.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I think the problem is in that they have his watch, and I am sure they want to be paid now, rather than later.

If it was a Rolex their service center would easily cost over $1,000 for the repair. Just their five year service and polish is a grand.

I would just get the watch back and hold it until I had the coin to fix it. It was a graduation gift and that makes it priceless in my mind. Heck back in 1978 when I left for college my family gave me a Seiko watch and I was stunned.

Last edited:

$737 sounds reasonable to, after 9 years, and hearing what damage was done.

The consequence of owning a mechanical watch is having to pay for regular service. If you prefer not to, there are excellent quartz watches ("high end quartz"). Not your warehouse watches, but with really advanced movements.

Man, this is really disconcerting news! The Omega Seamaster was one of my dream watches, along with a Panerai, to replace my Tissot but if it's going to kick the bucket after 10 years I might have to think of another watch.

High-end automatic watches are like high-maintenance wives. They are very enjoyable to have (so I hear), but you need to have a bit of coin to keep one in good fettle. After owning Rolex, Panerai, Zenith, and Sinn watches, I decided the pleasure I was deriving from these was not in proportion to the worry about damaging them or worrying about wearing them in less than desirable places (and worrying about getting mugged for it) or one day having to pay for service for them. So, I sold all of them off and have a small variety of cheap quartz watches and am very happy. The joy I get from a new $50 Casio is just as much as when I got a Rolex Sea-Dweller. I got to a point in my life where luxury items meant little. I did the same thing for cars 12 years ago, selling my Benz and buying a Honda Civic and never looked back.

If high-end watches make you happy, then you should own them, as it's hard to find happiness these days. But, for me they were doing the opposite.

YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom