What's new

My New Favorite Brush - Yaqi Rainbow Brown Synthetic

I started wet shaving in the early 1970's with a relatively inexpensive badger brush and an Old Spice mug and soap. For the better part of the next 45 years I used the same badger brush daily until it wore out and then replaced it with another similar brush. The last of those daily badger workhorses was a Simpsons Duke 2. I tried replacing that with another Duke 2, then Duke 3 but either I became pickier (quite possible) or the new brushes weren't as good as those old ones. In any event I began trying different brushes, some boar, some mixed, some synthetic in addition to a variety of badgers. Which brings me to today where I have a few of each, all of which do a very good job.

But none of them provides all of the attributes of this new Yaqi brown synthetic. I'm not sure what this knot is supposed to be - is it an imitation horse hair? I have never used a horse hair brush, so maybe it is. All I can say is that it does everything flawlessly. Like many synthetics it will lather a hard or soft soap faster than the natural hair brushes. It has great face feel, softer than the badgers and boars, and it does that while maintaining an ideal (for me) balance between backbone and natural splaying. It also completely dries by the next morning and requires no soaking. The only "limitation" I can see with this brush is that it is not what I would call a scrubby brush. For example, I have an older SOC Mistura that excels at that and if I'm in the mood for that kind of brush, the Yaqi is no match for the Mistura.

Finally, there is the handle. I have to confess that I have never owned a brush which had what I would consider an uncomfortable handle, so my opinion about the handle's ergonomics is probably not very helpful. In terms of appearance, I really like it. More importantly, perhaps, as I was considering different brushes, my wife saw this one in an online photo and said, "Oh, I like that one." When she offered to buy it for my birthday, I figured this was a no lose proposition.

The only real negative I can provide is that it now seems to be sold out, and I have no idea if it will be coming back in stock. Originally I tried to buy it on aliexpress, but when it was sold out there I was able to purchase it from West Coast Shaving. It is now sold out there as well. I don't know what other vendors might carry Yaqi brushes, or what other brushes use the same knot.

I have the same brush. I bought it out of impulse. It is in my main rotation with two other boar brushes. The rest of brushes are at rest because of it. It has a nice splay !

Now I want to sell my custom 2band badger brush because of it.

Where's the picture?
Here's the stock picture. It really does look just like this picture.
proxy.php

Nice looking brush guys. I liked the handle so much I've got one from AliExpress sale ordered too. No (Pride) thing going on here, I just like the Rainbow brush looks.
Excited to get it too.

Nice looking brush guys. I liked the handle so much I've got one from AliExpress sale ordered too. No (Pride) thing going on here, I just like the Rainbow brush looks.
Excited to get it too.
Same here, can't resisted the sale price w/ free shipping. They sold all rainbows in like 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

Finally it arrived with a yaqi 24mm silvertip. Man, the rainbow is a huge one. Good handle, nice weight, the tips are luxuriously soft, splays easily just a touch of backbone, looks amazing... Perfect.
I'll see how it performs in the rotation, but I love it already.
proxy.php

I had another feed I started yesterday that this reminds me of. Basically I was asking if the future of wet shaving is in synthetic brushes. Granted I'm a newer wetshaver, been doing it a year and a half and my only real brush experience is my Omega 48. Looking at upgrades prices were very scary, but I'm glad to see these inexpensive synthetics are actually equal to if not out performing silver tips. This among many other threads I've researched are pushing me towards a nice synthetic brush.

I have an Omega 49 (bit shorter than 48) which is an OK brush. I love boars for a sentimental reason, I started wet shaving with those and I have several of them.
But man the Yaqi rainbow and silvertip is just in a completely differet league. I have a tuxedo from Maggards, and compared to that the rainbow is softer, splays nice, feels great on the face and lathers crazy. I wanted to hate synths, but I love that you can beat the sh.t out of those and still working ridiculously good every time for like 10 bucks...
And this is like a pillow compared to my boars. I hate to say that but that's a fact.

I had another feed I started yesterday that this reminds me of. Basically I was asking if the future of wet shaving is in synthetic brushes. Granted I'm a newer wetshaver, been doing it a year and a half and my only real brush experience is my Omega 48. Looking at upgrades prices were very scary, but I'm glad to see these inexpensive synthetics are actually equal to if not out performing silver tips. This among many other threads I've researched are pushing me towards a nice synthetic brush.

Whilst a synthetic would be an awesome purchase, you could also consider a Yaqi two band finest badger with a very non-scary price of about $30. They are the real deal! Fairly dense, excellent face feel and great handle choice.

Top Bottom