What's new

My New Bonneyman-Moss Scuttle

Last Saturday, driving from Toronto to Nova Scotia (long story) I had made up my mind to make a detour to Tatamagouche and the pottery studio of Ms. Sara Bonneyman. Well, if I'm to have a scuttle, I thought, it may as well be a good one and I get to save on shipping charges.

Sara's studio is part of the ground floor of a house, with three large showrooms, tucked away on a minor country road - itself in a very rural part of Atlantic Canada. Her total product line is pretty impressive and shows the result of many years of dedication to her craft.

Talking to her assistant, I was surprised to be told that in the four years since the Moss Scuttle was designed and produced, the volume of internet business has grown to the point that it is now the main part of their sales and that most referrals are to purchase a scuttle!

Such is the power of word of mouth when it has a global reach.

I am very happy with my new, cobalt blue scuttle. It works far, far better than the previous cack-handed efforts of a cereal bowl floating in a sink of hot water. I heartily endorse this fine example of old school craftsmanship.

...aaah...at this moment, I am sadly lacking a digicam for pics...however, one can always look at the potter's website itself.

I'm sure it is because I just ordered one and am more aware, but it seems like there has been an increase in scuttle-talk on the site lately. Man, I am getting excited...I can't wait!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
So wonderful that you actually got to visit the studio.... and even more wonderful that this artist has a following concerning a quality made shaving related item. I received a Sara "Moss" Scuttle from a generous B&B member PatrickD over 2 years ago and I think it is one of my favorite all time shaving acquisitions!

Today, I took a leisurely drive to Tatamagouche to see Sara Bonneyman in person and say thank-you for an excellent product.

I chatted with the lady herself for quite a while and got to see how our scuttles are made - they are actually made in 2 separate pieces, jug and bowl, that become fused in the kiln by the glaze - and she told me in brief of the last four years since Dr.Chris Moss approached her with his design.

It seems that the good doctor has become a little discomfited by the fame of his design - Sara has made and sold more than 1500 scuttles. We chatted of Dirty Bird Pottery and Georgetown Pottery (she was familiar with both their products) and I filled her in on what the good folk of B&B say regarding those products, as well as her own.

She admitted to not reading Badger & Blade (although she knew of it) and I encouraged her to at least lurk a little, and not to be afraid and that, indeed, the participation of suppliers was especially welcome - I told her of both Fendrihan's and Rasage Poulin's owners reading and posting.

As to whether the Bonneyman-Moss scuttle would be available in a wider market...probably not. Ms Bonneyman said she was quite content with things as the are and did not particularly wish to ramp up production. Indeed, part of the appeal of the scuttle is its hand-made quality (which reflects the fact that it IS actually hand-made), and she was naturally concerned about losing that if production were stepped up.

A very entertaining and informative few hours in pleasant company.

Top Bottom