What's new

A Wordy Review of Three Popular Scuttles

This is just my experience and observations. Some time ago I bought a G3 off a guy from "the other site". On that same site there is a young man who had a lid custom made by GTP for his scuttle, so I stole his idea. My cousin is a novice potter, and she was sweet enough to take my scuttle to her shop and fashion a lid for it. It came out very functional. I think all scuttles should have the option to be fitted with a nice, dome shaped, lid. It does aid in retaining heat very well.

It also helps if you fill the inner chamber, and the actual bowl with water, and then put the scuttle the microwave for two minutes. By the time you get out of the shower, it is hot!!

Sorry to bring a post up from the past but I was a disappointed Georgetown Scuttle owner. I purchased a Georgetown without much research and wanted to buy "local" so I went GTP. I was happy but not thrilled by any means and thought scuttles were overrated. I read this post and instantly purchased a Dirty Bird Scuttle due to bowl lathering ability. I just received it and I freaking love this thing!!!! My new name for it is the LAVA POT because this baby stays HOT!! Do yourself a favor and get one fast!:w00t::biggrin:

B R A N D X®;786715 said:
you shouldn't spend another dime on your shaving kit until you purchase a scuttle. I feel that the warm lather and brush add immeasurably to the enjoyment of a good wet shave.

Hey, thanks for the informative post. A scuttle is definitely at the top of my wish list. (As I get spoiled by this hobby, I find decreases in brush/lather temperatures increasing intolerable!)

These things really come into play during the winter. Even if your shaving den is kinda warm you lather being kept warm is awesome.

Later,
Richard

With these scuttles, does the inner bowl always lift out? It's hard to tell with the Georgetown, it looks like they're molded together. I was just curious, as my wife is starting to "throw" :biggrin:

-Mason

No and yes. Originally most of them did not, but due to requests by potential users, some of these potters will make them separate if you ask. I'm not sure that I know the up-to-date info on some of them and I don't want to leave out someone from a partial list, so I will just suggest you ask whomever you feel you would like to buy from, and let them tell you if they will make one that way.

Regards,
Tom

Stu, thank you very much for the review. I have recently ordered a scuttle and was torn between the DB and the Moss. I called Julie and ended up ordering a DB. I am very excited to receive and put it to use.

Also, thank you for your comment about adjusting your water heater versus microwaving water. In waiting for my DB, i have considered adjusting my water heater. I think its currently set at about 125-130. I have a 16 month old son that is getting into everything, and based on your comment, I think I will just microwave my water now.

Again, thank you for the review!

DL

A superlative review - thanks very much. After much consideration, I think a Dirty Bird scuttle will be my next acquisition.

If you are going to purchase a scuttle(which I did!), do yourself a favor and get a hot pot also! The 2 go together like wine and cheese. My Dirty Bird makes my shaves a whole new experience.

marty

Is there a particular brand of hot pot that you have? Can they be bought at Target or Walmart? I have about 3 more weeks before my DB comes in and i would be interested in picking one up.

DL

Is there a particular brand of hot pot that you have? Can they be bought at Target or Walmart? I have about 3 more weeks before my DB comes in and i would be interested in picking one up.

DL

The one i have is made by Rival. You should be able to pick one up at either place for a minimal cost.

Marty

The one i have is made by Rival. You should be able to pick one up at either place for a minimal cost.

Marty

Thanks Marty! As explained in an earlier post, I planned on using the microwave, but a hot pot in the bathroom would be excellent!

DL

I have a Georgetown Scuttle and have no problems whatsoever with heat loss and can get 3 or 4 passes with ease when using boiling water.

Are you trying to put them out of business?

Concerning heating the scuttles. It is probably prudent to a first heat the scuttle with hot or very warm water before pouring in almost boiling water. Thermal shock caused by cold ceramic going straight to hot in a short amount of time should probably be avoided.

Later,
Richard

Thanks, I am awaiting one from you so that is good to know. I didn't want to be careless with my "Little Precious"!:rolleyes:

R

Just wanted to let you know that thermal shock generally applies to putting ceramic pieces in a hot oven or on a burner, not pouring in boiling hot liquids as you would routinely do with a pottery coffee mug or tea pot. But, because there's a joint where the lather bowl and lower pitcher come together, I decided to test my scuttles to be sure. I used water just off the boil and filled the scuttle all the way to the rim with no damage at all.

Thank you for the information, Julie!

DL

The scuttle review was very helpful in working thru the decision process. Before making the decision to purchase, I used a coffee mug pre-heated with H2O @ 1 minute in the microwave. This served as my make-shift scuttle to warm the brush between latherings. It was soooo much nicer to lather with the warm stuff during each lathering........I was sold. The order went in immediately! Thanks again for the reviews & member feedback.:001_smile

Thanks for the excellent review. I've had my Bonnyman scuttle (small - I like the way it snugly cushions the brush with warmth) for about a year, and really missed it one time when I travelled and didn't take it along.

Top Bottom